Why Pray for Everything

Bob70

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2016 09:27 pm
If God wanted me to pray for everything I'd have bigger knees. Who did Jesus pray to? Himself? Get real people. Wake up!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,511 • Replies: 30
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2016 11:38 am
@Bob70,
Bob I disagree. The apodictical existential pantheist maintains that prayer is Her talking to Herself, Her very existence supported by the general principle that nothing is entirely anything while everything is partly something else
Miller

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2016 04:22 pm
@Bob70,
Bob70 wrote:

If God wanted me to pray for everything ...

How do you know that God wants you to pray, or for that matter, how do you know that God wants you to do anything?

Why are talking about your knees. If your knees are sore, see a physician.
roger

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2016 05:56 pm
@Miller,
Praying for everything would have you on your knees way to often for healthy joints. Of course, one could always pray for durable knees.
Miller

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2016 01:34 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Praying for everything would have you on your knees ...

In some religions, but not all.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2016 01:38 pm
Why pray for everything?

Why pray for Anything?

It's all just making a wish on a cosmic birthday cake.
0 Replies

AugustineBrother

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2016 08:30 am
@Bob70,
But that is illogical. God already KNOWS , as both the OT and NT state very clearly. THAT IS NOT why you pray.

0 Replies

AugustineBrother

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2016 08:32 am
@dalehileman,
You mouth the view of William James but he was answered extraordinarily well by his friend (known as the American Aristotle) C S Peirce

dalehileman

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2016 01:56 pm
@AugustineBrother,
Thanks Aug. To confirm that maybe you could provide a Google link, with many thanks
AugustineBrother

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2016 07:04 am
@dalehileman,
Here is the best source for Peirce
http://www.gnusystems.ca/CSPgod.htm

As for James that is rather well-known

Consider this difference on prayer. James famously thought prayer meaningless and worthless whereas Peirce says

' We, one and all of us, have an instinct to pray; and this fact constitutes an invitation from God to pray. And in fact there is found to be not only soulagement in prayer, but great spiritual good and moral strength. I do not see why prayer may not be efficacious, or if not the prayer exactly, the state of mind of which the prayer is nothing more than the expression, namely the soul's consciousness of its relation to God, which is nothing more than precisely the pragmatistic meaning of the name of God; so that, in that sense, prayer is simply calling upon the name of the Lord. "
dalehileman

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2016 11:08 am
@AugustineBrother,
Thanks Aug for that link

Specifically I don't remember commenting on prayer but James and Pierce do seem to express a sort of pantheism

But somewhat tediously don't you think Aug
mark noble

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2016 11:39 am
@Bob70,
I view prayer (I don't partake) as an exercise in self-confrontation, in regard to personal issues in need of attendance - Whether one believes they are being heard is beside the point.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2016 11:41 am
@roger,
Spot on, roger. They can also use knee pads. They're not that expensive.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2016 01:25 pm
Because you want it, why else?
0 Replies

AugustineBrother

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2016 07:01 am
@Bob70,
God does want you to pray.

Jesus prayed to the Father.

You will probably die in your ignorance and if you go to Hell it will be for the ignorance primarily.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2016 12:49 pm
@AugustineBrother,
Wow! God punishes ignorant people?

Quote:
ig·no·rant
ˈiɡnərənt/
adjective
lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated.
"he was told constantly that he was ignorant and stupid"
synonyms: uneducated, unknowledgeable, untaught, unschooled, untutored, untrained, illiterate, unlettered, unlearned, unread, uninformed, unenlightened, benighted; More antonyms: educated
lacking knowledge, information, or awareness about something in particular.
"they were ignorant of astronomy"
synonyms: without knowledge of, unaware of, unconscious of, oblivious to, incognizant of, unfamiliar with, unacquainted with, uninformed about, ill-informed about, unenlightened about, unconversant with, inexperienced in/with, naive about, green about; More
informal
discourteous or rude.
"this ignorant, pin-brained receptionist"
AugustineBrother

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2016 11:25 am
@cicerone imposter,
No, as you should know, there is willfully ignorant and not willfully ignorant.

Goes sometimes by the names culpable and inculpable ignorance or vincible and invincible ignorance.
timur

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2016 11:27 am
@AugustineBrother,
You belong to the former, don't you?
0 Replies

AugustineBrother

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2016 11:33 am
@dalehileman,
I have come to LOVE the religious thought of Peirce. He was a seeker and his religious thought has been twisted or ignored even by Peirce scholars.

Consider the mystical experience he had when he was in complete opposition to such things:

"This morning after breakfast I felt I had to go to church anyway. I wandered about not knowing where, to find a regular episcopal church, in which I was confirmed; but finally came to St. Thomas. I had several times been in it on week days to look at the chancel, therefore I saw nothing new to me. But this time-I was not thinking of St. Thomas and his doubts either-no sooner had I got into the church than I seemed to receive the direct permission of the Master to come. Still, I said to myself, I must not go to the communion without further reflection! I must go home & duly prepare myself before I venture. But, when the instant came, I found myself carried up to the altar rail, almost without my own volition. I am perfectly sure that it was right. Anyway, I could not help it."

"I may mention the reason why I do not offer to put my gratitude for the bounty granted to me into some form of church work, that which seemed to call me today seemed to promise me that I should bear a cross like death for the Master's sake, and he would give me strength to bear it. I am sure that will happen. My part is to wait.

I have never before been mystical; but now I am. "
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2016 11:22 am
@AugustineBrother,
That's a strawman crock of crap.
There are endless forms of ignorance and naivety - Born to endless internalised emotive precepts.

Practice what you preach, preacher..... Now, go sell all your possessions, live off the charity of others and look within..... a lot.