What communities would you start?

Miller

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2016 07:55 am
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

The first one would be RELIGION which would be concerned with Judaism, Islam and Christianity.

The second one would be: Health, Medical Issues, Medications, Insurance questions. The subjects are centered on main stream medical care and will reflect opinions only.

The third one[/b : This seems to be growing popularity on A2K and concerns issues such as dating, love, romance, dating, gay life, transgender life, and I suppose the format could follow the "Love" columns commonly found in our daily US papers. The title could be Romance Lost and Found(!)

The[b] fourth one
: This section would be called "Etiquette" or "Polite Society"

The last one (?) will be concerned with the SouthSide of Chicago, death, life, love, Black churches, White Churches, conflicts, hope, opportunity, past, present. And...future of Chicago, my hometown...
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2016 08:11 am
@Setanta,
Yeah you should try it once and a while, that is other than mocking another poster's thread.
George

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2016 08:17 am
@Miller,
> Chicago, my hometown

I think a "hometown" community would be a great idea where folks could
discuss items of local interest and those thinking about visiting could ask
questions of those in the know.
Miller

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2016 08:54 am
I would like to have 2 rules for the new communities:

1. No Up/Down buttons

2 .No viewing the written contents of a community, without posting a comment or two. Views/person will be tabulated and action will be taken, if the views are not followed up by meaningful comments.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2016 09:03 am
Quote:
Robert Gentel wrote:

On a slightly related note I think it would be interesting to see someone start communities for men and women respectively. I wonder what a men only community or women only community would be like.

And where would the gays, lesbians, transgender, trans-sexuals, etc fit in?

Would a man who enjoys sewing and knitting really like to share his views on these hobbies with the "average beer jugging Joe-six pack"?
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2016 09:32 am
@Miller,
Just because one community exists doesn't mean another can't. There can, of course, be LGBT communities too.

And if any men or women don't want to participate in those kinds of communities they don't have to either.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2016 09:43 am
Would the starter of a community have the option to 'kill' it if it does not perform satisfactorily? I expect a lot of experimentation in the beginning.
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2016 09:53 am
@edgarblythe,
This is something I have been thinking about off and on for days and trying to figure out the right nuance for. I don't have it figured out yet.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2016 10:32 am
@Robert Gentel,
Perhaps a window of time before it becomes permanent?
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2016 10:33 am
@George,
George wrote:

> Chicago, my hometown

I think a "hometown" community would be a great idea where folks could
discuss items of local interest and those thinking about visiting could ask
questions of those in the know.

I second /third that. What a great idea to have "hometown" communities.
Especially when one wants to travel to either Chicago, Boston or in my case Munich, people can go there and check things out, ask all the right questions and get a lot of info up front. Excellent idea!
ehBeth

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2016 12:07 pm
@edgarblythe,
or a lock?
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2016 01:36 pm
@edgarblythe,
The issue is really the users, and how much they should own the communities. Users will always be able to step down and let others run it, but should a community founder be able to destroy all the content in a fit of rage? Those are the cases I am trying to design for too.
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2016 01:37 pm
@CalamityJane,
We are going to do something very big (but that I don't want to disclose) with local-based communities. They will get a HUGE kick start.
George

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2016 02:37 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Sounds intriguing
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2016 02:55 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

I'd like to start one about nothing.....

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_UiZRvkBqTqE/SSAwNhqGpxI/AAAAAAAAAGQ/eo7VcRV-x6w/s400/is+nothing+sacred.jpg
0 Replies

timur

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2016 03:27 pm
That's a bit pun..itive.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2016 04:02 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
If i ever saw you produce actual humor, i might get a better handle on the process. You know, rather than just trailing your coat with nasty remarks about people who don't think as you do?
Setanta

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2016 04:03 pm
@Miller,
So, if it's not judaism, islam or christianity, it's nor really religion? I'm not surprised to see you take that tack.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2016 04:47 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
should a community founder be able to destroy all the content in a fit of rage?
Funny, that's the only reason I ended up drifting over here to A2K. The owner of my old hangout went nuclear and killed the whole damn site.

You seem more stable than that. That's a good thing...
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2016 09:31 pm
@Setanta,
Not interested.
0 Replies