New dishwasher question

chai2

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2016 02:08 pm
I'm needing to buy a new dishwasher in the next day or 2.

The one I've got my eye on, that has good reviews, has the silverware compartment nestled in the concave part of the door. This was a great selling point for me, thinking how there would be more room inside the machine. An upgraded version of the dishwasher actually has a separate sprayer just for the silverware.

When I sort reviews for low ones first, I noticed one person saying something about how there wasn't as much room for dishes because of this feature, which makes no sense to me.

No one else said a thing about loss of space.

Does anyone here have a dishwasher with this placement for silverware?

engineer

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2016 02:22 pm
@chai2,
I have it. There is more room for dishes. I find the silverware doesn't get quite as clean so that separate sprayer makes sense. I also find that big items like spatulas go better in the top rack.
chai2

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2016 02:33 pm
@engineer,
Thanks engineer.

Oh yeah, spatulas are a pain.

We're pretty easy on our silverware. They really don't get put in with any food sticking on them.

On this one, the upper rack is adjustable so you can put taller items in the bottom. I like that too.

It appears that since I bought my last one, they've become even more energy and water efficient. The cycles last longer, but it ends up being better. I don't care how long it takes for the cycle to run.
jespah

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2016 02:48 pm
@chai2,
What's the brand? I get the feeling we'll be looking in a few years.
chai2

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2016 03:58 pm
@jespah,
Whirlpool.

The one without the utensil sprayer, and the regular vinyl coated racks, plastic tub is model # WDF520PADM

The upgrade with the utensil spray is model # WDT720PADM

With the fancier one you get:

Utensil sprayer
Adjustable upper rack
Fold down tines on upper rack
A delay wash time of 24 hours as opposed to 4 hours
Room for 1 more place setting (15 vs. 14)
51 decibels as opposed to 55
cycle status lights
Hidden control panel

I think I just sold myself the better one. Very Happy

I was just comparing between lowes and home depot, and I can get the better one for $450 on sale from $500, if I don't mind getting it in black or white. We ususally get tan/bisque appliances, but oh well. I guess that's not the style any longer.

Actually, I'd like to get autumn gold or avocado.

Lordyaswas

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2016 04:04 pm
@chai2,
I nabbed a real bargain last year, when I purchased a brand new dishwasher for £50.

It was a discontinued line, but hey.....£50!

It even has a spin cycle.
chai2

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2016 04:16 pm
I love reading negative reviews sometimes.

This one person was complaining that her brand new machine kept getting clogged with "Minor things like paper labels" Minor things like paper labels?!

Another one said the machine runs 10 minutes before the water gets hot.
Uh, has no one ever told you to run the sink until the water gets hot, then start the machine?

Not as funny as negative yelp reviews, but still.
chai2

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2016 04:34 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Wow. 50 pounds? Will it take care of paper labels, and things like used cat litter?
chai2

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2016 04:41 pm
@chai2,
I just looked at the Argos site, and it seems the overall costs between here and there are comparable.

Ok, I smiled when I looked at the top of the page, and there was the little icon familiar to me, but letting you know how many items are in your trolley.

That is just so cute to my American ears.

I guess when you hear "cart" you must think we move things by dray.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2016 04:49 pm
@chai2,
One other difference with modern dishwashers - you now pretty much require a rinse aid. It allows the dishwasher to use less energy to dry since the water sheets off better. It is not a big deal. It has a dispenser you fill once a week or so. Without it your dishes will come out sopping wet.
chai2

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2016 04:56 pm
@engineer,
Thanks for the heads up engineer.

I'll stock up.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2016 09:58 am
@chai2,
Yeah that is why you need to read through the reviews and make sure there are a lot - if two people reviewed it and gave it one star - it could be because of idiot comments like that.

The stove for instance that I ended up getting - the only bad reviews was because the timer notification was not very loud. Although they are correct on that - it is probably the quietest timer chime I have ever heard, I figured that was a small thing over how well the stove worked and the other quality features.

I've seen some of those dishwashers with the silver ware rack above - love that idea - I will probably look for one of those when we buy a new one. Our dishwasher s*cks...but it came with the house.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2016 04:12 pm
@chai2,
Thanks!

And yes - reviews - generally a large number is a good indicator. It helps to weed out the weird folks who complain that it was not green (so buy green next time, ya dolt) or whatever and you get to the essence of what a product is really about.
chai2

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2016 10:36 pm
@jespah,
BTW folks, new dishwasher is excellent!

Turns out step daughter had bought the same model maybe 5 months ago, and she said she really likes it too.

0 Replies

Dean Haustead

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2016 12:49 am
I have fairly new dishwasher and survive only currently and forever clean my dishes off. Sometimes the unclean dishes capacity sit in the dishwasher for 3-4 days previous to I scuttle it.
0 Replies