Mother in law babies my husband

Linkat

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2016 08:19 am
@maxdancona,
I think you like to argue for the sake of arguing because the many of the things you are stating in bold is what we all agreed with so the point is moot.

No one said she should interfere with mom son relationship, however, if part of that is directly impacting then she has every right as it is her business if it impacts her. The mom is living with them - so this also invades her space so if this impacts her ie her husband does nothing (whether this has to do with the mom or not) in their home - it impacts her.

She also acknowledged that she came across wrong in her approach likely due to her being ill. Understandable although not the best approach - no one suggested a child adult relationship actually the opposite her husband acting like an adult as opposed to whining like a child.

Quote:
If the wife doesn't like how her husband is, then she should divorce him (it may make both of them happier). But if she doesn't want to divorce him, then she needs to respect how he is, and to resolve these issues as equals.

Isn't this exactly what we were all suggesting - resolving the issue? Isn't this what she was asking help for how to handle it? The divorce suggestion is just plain stupid as all she is looking for is how best to handle this situation, not change him - asking him to make his own dinner for example when she is sick is not asking to change him.

But seeing we are not disagreeing, but you are just arguing for the sake of it - I have no more comments for you if you are that obtuse to even understand that. The only difference I see is your mis-guided viewpoint that this has to do with man vs woman when it is simply something that happens in a marriage where a caring couple will work it out (which I have no doubt they will) and in part I believe the poster is venting a bit as the mom living with them has to be a bit of a strain.
chai2

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2016 10:56 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

I think you like to argue for the sake of arguing

You just realized this?
Linkat

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2016 11:01 am
@chai2,
I'm slow and I noticed how a horrible typist I am.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2016 11:06 am
@chai2,
Ha!

Beat me to it.

It boils down to one thing.

When a son gets married, he transfers totally his loyalty in such matters from mother to wife.

Any non life threatening disagreement or upset, and it is his absolute duty to back up his wife all the way.

I speak from experience, having slammed the door in my mother's face early on, and then having no contact with her for over a year.
When she made the right approaches, we let her back into our family life, but she never tried being Queen Bee again in our house.

If new hubby wishes for the maternal mollycoddling to continue as before, then new wife should buy him a bib and some XXL diapers, and leave them to it.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2016 11:11 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
How is it a wife's business how her husband relates to his mother. I don't see anything that her husband, or her mother in law, is doing that hurts her in any way.

You (and others including the OP) seem to be missing on an important subtext here: the obvious competition between the MIL and the wife about who can take best care of the son/husband.

The reason why the wife resents the MIL's care of her hubby is that it implies that she is not as good a care giver as the MIL is... The reason the MIL keeps asking her son to dress warm in winter etc. is to convey a message to both him and her daughter in law that she, the mother, cares best for her son's health and that her daughter in law is not up to it... They are competing for the man's attention and gratefulness.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2016 12:19 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Linkat wrote:

I think you like to argue for the sake of arguing

You just realized this?

I love irony. I think it is very funny that people who are, in fact, arguing with me make this particular ad hominem.
0 Replies