What is the difference between absurdism and nihilism?

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2016 08:40 pm
Both of these areas of philosophy seem very similar to me, and I can't quite make out the difference. It seems to me that nihilism can be contained in absurdism. Absurdists and nihilists are both amoral and both believe that there is no objective meaning in life or in the universe. Can someone clear this up for me?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 3,100 • Replies: 4
No top replies

FBM

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2016 08:50 pm
@AP Assignment,
This looks like a pretty good, if simplified, rundown to me:

Quote:
The Difference Between Existentialism, Nihilism, and Absurdism

Philosophers have believed for centuries that no intrinsic meaning exists in the universe. Here we will summarize three of the major responses to this belief.

Existentialism is the belief that through a combination of awareness, free will, and personal responsibility, one can construct their own meaning within a world that intrinsically has none of its own.
Nihilism is the belief that not only is there no intrinsic meaning in the universe, but that it’s pointless to try to construct our own as a substitute.
Absurdism is the belief that a search for meaning is inherently in conflict with the actual lack of meaning, but that one should both accept this and simultaneously rebel against it by embracing what life has to offer.
In general, there are three ways of practically dealing with the situation.

Suicide due to life being ultimately meaningless and therefore either too boring or too painful
Embracing a meaning framework such as religion or spirituality
Acceptance of the lack of meaning, and living on in spite of it.

https://danielmiessler.com/blog/difference-existentialism-nihilism-absurdism/
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2016 08:52 pm
@FBM,
Sounds like Philosophy 201. Wink
FBM

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2016 08:54 pm
@cicerone imposter,
After I posted that, I looked up the author. Having done so, I think I probably should have gone about that the other way 'round. Not that I take issue with what I posted of his above, but a more authoritative source would have been in order, I think.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2016 11:55 am
@AP Assignment,
Ask Fresco he is an expert !
0 Replies