Open Thread - Politics Plus

ehBeth

Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 08:45 pm
@blatham,
they shut down 80 dispensaries in Tranna today

too bad for the Krispy Kreme outlet that opened in the middle of about a dozen of them this morning
bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 11:20 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:

too bad for the Krispy Kreme outlet that opened in the middle of about a dozen of them this morning

Are you kidding? Krispy Kremes are more addictive than crack. Plus the coffee? There's a real scenario for marketing Krispy Kreme Rehab.

People are really stupid about them here in Texas.

There was a factory on my way to school when I was a kid in Akron, Ohio. $.15 each still warm on a winter morning at 6:30am was like heaven.
blatham

Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 07:40 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:

Humans are a disappointment.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 07:44 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Krispy Kreme hasn't done well in Tranna in the past decade. They opened with great fanfare and then closed down all but one store. This was going to be a restart.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 28 May, 2016 07:13 am
@ehBeth,
You'all have much better taste up in the Great White. I had a contract in Montreal that went on for almost three years, I'd drive up from Austin and stay for two weeks drive back down for one. Got to like Tim Hortons a lot. I think I was up there when it came out how investors cheated Tim's widow out of her shares.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 28 May, 2016 10:07 am
@bobsal u1553115,
There's a Tim Horton's in San Jose, CA.
blatham

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2016 05:58 pm
This is the story of Donald Trump. There was an apple tree and a rule and there was a broad and she fucked everything up and that's what happened to Donald, who had been perfect.

The story of Donald is the story of The Fall.

I tweeted this theological perspective to Pope Francis and his kind response, which somehow was quickly deleted, was, "Dude! You nailed it!". I suspect the reason second thoughts overtook the earlier inspiration was that use of the verb "nailed". But you know, I'm just guessing.

Damn. I'm high. Just fucked up on my computer and amalgamated two unrelated folders - "Collection of Jewish Jokes About Soren Keirkegaard" and "The Collected Musings of an English Magistrate and Clothesline-Pantie Thief"
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2016 06:24 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I'm a fan. I think we went past a San Jose exit on Five coming down from Oregon. Gonna do it again.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2016 07:40 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Next time you pass by in our area, let me know. I'll give you a quick tauck(tak) tour (view from the street), and show you the new Apple Campus 2 now being built not one mile from our home.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2016 05:53 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I will look forward to it!
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2016 06:57 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Here's a preview: It's HUGE!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_w1LGDHEps
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2016 07:09 am
@cicerone imposter,
Its not huge. Its freakin' YUGE!
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2016 06:37 am
http://assets.amuniversal.com/6c5e2fe0e9bc01335594005056a9545d.gif
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2016 10:25 am
Some history as to how the GOP got where it is now. But read the full essay.

"E.J. Dionne knows that Republican intransigence was not born yesterday, and he has the credentials for saying it because this dependably intelligent liberal tells us, in his new book, that he began as a young Goldwaterite—like Hillary Clinton (or like me). He knows that his abandoned faith sounded themes that have perdured right down to our day. In the 1950s there were many outlets for right-wing discontent—including H.L. Hunt’s Lifeline, Human Events, The Dan Smoot Report, the Fulton Lewis radio show, Willis Carto’s Liberty Lobby, the Manion Forum. In 1955, William F. Buckley founded National Review to give some order and literary polish to this cacophonous jumble. But his magazine had a small audience at the outset. Its basic message would reach a far wider audience through a widely popular book, The Conscience of a Conservative, ghostwritten for Barry Goldwater by Buckley’s brother-in-law (and his coauthor for McCarthy and His Enemies), L. Brent Bozell.

The idea for the book came from Clarence Manion, the former dean of Notre Dame Law School. He persuaded Goldwater to have Bozell, who had been his speechwriter, put his thoughts together in book form. Then Manion organized his own and other right-wing media to promote and give away thousands of copies of the book. Bozell did his part too—he went to a board meeting of the John Birch Society and persuaded Fred Koch (father of Charles and David Koch) to buy 2,500 copies of Conscience for distribution. The book put Goldwater on the cover of Time three years before he ran for president. A Draft Goldwater Committee was already in existence then (led by William Rusher of National Review, F. Clifton White, and John Ashbrook). Patrick Buchanan spoke for many conservatives when he called The Conscience of a Conservative their “New Testament.” http://bit.ly/1QJDUeO
cameronleon

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2017 02:19 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
Some history as to how the GOP got where it is now. But read the full essay.

So, what is your point?

Donald Trump is the president and the rest is history.

What profit, good, wisdom or whatever will come by reading such an easy?

Donald Trump was the one who got elected without the help of Republican politicians, so if Republicans enjoy a great status in this administration, all that history you want others to read are not the reason why the GOP got where it is now.

Without Donald Trump, who is Independent playing Republican, the story should be different and someone should be posting an easy of how Democrats got where they are now.

By the way, Democrats got where they are now because Hillary Clinton, the loser.
0 Replies