Open Thread - Politics Plus

blatham

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2016 04:39 am
Michael Grunwald at Politico has a smart take on why Rubio felt a need to repeat his "Obama knows exactly what he's doing" talking point.

Rubio's team understood that he would be attacked (by the governors particularly) for being a one-term senator with little or no governing experience. That is to say, Rubio = Obama. His obvious (in retrospect at least) defense or counter-argument here is to reject any notion that Obama has been incompetent or ineffective in governance.

Thus, the notion he needs to forward is, "Obama has been VERY effective and consequential and I will be even more effective and consequential but in the opposite direction". http://politi.co/1Rf0XQZ
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2016 07:13 pm
@coldjoint,
I'm guessing you're being put on suspension. Again.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2016 09:06 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
I ran across this tidbit -
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/state-ig-classified-email-found-powell-rice-tenures-36716638

State IG: Classified Email Found From Powell, Rice Tenures
By DEB RIECHMANN, ASSOCIATED PRESS
WASHINGTON — Feb 4, 2016, 6:34 PM ET
SHARES
Email
Former Secretary of State Colin Powell and the immediate staff of former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice also received classified national security information on their personal email accounts, according to a memo written by the State Department watchdog that was released Thursday.

Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's use of a personal email server has dogged her presidential campaign. Her campaign could try to blunt the criticism with the news that her predecessors in Republican administrations might have received such information on nonsecure servers.

Steve Linick, the inspector general for the State Department, said in a memo dated Wednesday that two emails sent to Powell and 10 emails sent to Rice's staff contained classified national security information. Powell and Rice were the top diplomats under Republican President George W. Bush.

The memo was first reported by NBC News. The Associated Press later obtained a copy.

"None of the material was marked as classified, but the substance of the material and 'NODIS' (No Distribution) references in the body or subject lines of some of the documents suggested that the documents could be potentially sensitive," Linick wrote in the memo.

He wrote that in mid-October his office sent 19 documents to the inspector general for the intelligence community, which determined in mid-December that they didn't contain any intelligence community information.

In late December, however, the State Department told Linick's office that 12 of the 19 documents "contain national security information classified at the Secret or Confidential levels based on a review by nine department bureaus and offices."

In a statement, Powell said the emails were from his executive assistant. He said they were forwarded messages that two U.S. ambassadors sent to members of the State Department's staff. "My executive assistant thought I should see them in a timely manner so sent them to my personal account," he said.

He said that while the department now has said they are "confidential," which is a low level of classification, both messages were unclassified at the time and there was no reason not to forward them to his personal account.

"I have reviewed the messages and I do not see what makes them classified," Powell said. "The ambassadors did not believe the contents were confidential at the time and they were sent as unclassified."

Powell's office said two FBI agents visited Powell in December for a general discussion about email practices during his time at State.

Georgia Godfrey, chief of staff for Rice, said Rice did not use email as secretary nor have a personal email account. She said it's her understanding that the emails in question were sent to Rice's assistant, "reporting diplomatic conversations and they contained no intelligence information."

Clinton, meantime, is facing new scrutiny from congressional Republicans as a fourth committee is pressing for general information about the handling of government documents, use of personal emails and the response to Freedom of Information Act requests during her time at the State Department.

Rep. Jason Chaffetz, R-Utah, chairman of the House Oversight Committee, sent a Jan. 19 letter to Secretary of State John Kerry asking for information and documents, citing the panel's jurisdiction over implementation of FOIA requests. His request included material from current and former secretaries of State.

In an interview with the Politico website, Chaffetz said Clinton's use of a private email server for government business could ensnare her in his inquiry. Three other committees are already focused on the former secretary of state— the special House panel on the attacks in Benghazi, Libya, the Senate Judiciary Committee and the Senate Homeland and Governmental Affairs Committee.

Maryland Rep. Elijah Cummings, senior Democrat on the House Oversight Committee, said, "My concern has been that Republicans are spending millions of taxpayer dollars singling out Secretary Clinton because she is running for president — often leaking inaccurate information — while at the same time disregarding the actions of Republican secretaries of state."

Clinton campaign chairman John Podesta said the details about Powell's emails "shows just how routine it is for government bureaucrats to go overboard when it comes to judging whether information is too sensitive for the public to see."

"Hillary Clinton agrees with her predecessor that his emails, like hers, are being inappropriately subjected to overclassification," Podesta said.

Republicans argue that Clinton's decision to set up her own personal email server is far worse than news that her GOP predecessors received a few emails from subordinates that now are seen to contained national security information.

Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., however, called the news "a watershed moment."

"If we're to believe Republicans, we would have to criminally charge Secretary Rice, Secretary Powell, the senior staff and everyone else who received these emails," Reid said.

Kerry himself used a private account when he was a senator to send information now deemed classified to Clinton when she was secretary of state, department spokesman John Kirby has said.

———

Associated Press writers Donna Cassata and Mary Clare Jalonick contributed to this report.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2016 01:42 pm
I finished reading the Jane Mayer article in the New Yorker this morning:

A Reporter at Large
New Koch .
The billionaire brothers are championing criminal-justice reform. Has their formula changed?
Jan. 25, 2016

Well, that was very enlightening, and to me, somewhat scary.

She also has a book out that I think Blatham has mentioned on this thread or some other one -
The Hidden History of the Billionaires Behind the Rise of the Radical Right
georgeob1

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2016 04:40 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

kolyo wrote:
]
I'm pretty sure he'll only enter the race if Sanders gets the nomination. Bloomberg and Clinton are so alike in their views that he would see no point in running against her.

Don't be so sure. If Bloomberg concludes that Cliton is weak and unelectable, he might run against her.

I think either of you might be right. Clinton has no choice but to pursue the nominatioin (and election) as well as she can, and I believe she is doing that.

If, for any rerason, Bloomberg (and others among the Democrats) reach the conclusion she will likely loose, it is at least believable she may be reluctant to leave the stage after so much committment and energy have been expended. In that case we might well see a Bloomberg announcement (and perhaps even a Justice Dept indictment).
blatham

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2016 02:26 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
She also has a book out that I think Blatham has mentioned on this thread or some other one -
The Hidden History of the Billionaires Behind the Rise of the Radical Right

Should be arriving here within days. Mayer really is one of the best investigative reporters kicking about these days. It will be a great read though I have little doubt that I'll need to keep my brain in an ice pack as I read. These boys are the worst thing to come up the pike in a long while.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2016 02:33 pm
@georgeob1,
Re Bloomberg...
Quote:
“I don’t view it as a third party,” Priebus said. “I view it as another Democrat so you'll have two Democrats running and splitting their vote. Look, he's been fighting and pounding away at Republicans for how long now? He wants to tax slurpees and sodas. The guy is a liberal Democrat so great, if they want to have two Democrats run and split their vote and let us compete in places like Connecticut and New Hampshire and Maine—places we used to win 20 years ago—we'll take it. Honestly it's no skin off our back.”
http://bit.ly/20W8syJ

Bloomberg has zero chance of winning an election. And by "zero", I mean zero. Preibus has not mentioned (for good reeasons) Bloomberg's stance on guns.

So that's the game that's afoot. What is in Bloomberg's head? God knows. Would he actually waste as much money as it will take? Well, lots of Wall St dudes who don't want Hillary to win will be pleased as punch to chip in, so maybe Bloomberg won't have to shell out some near-to-invisible portion of his wealth. Is he an egomaniac on the scale of Trump? That's a high mark, but maybe. I'd fly to NY and kick him in the nuts but I was once in an upper West Side restaurant with him and his bodyguards and so probably won't try that.
0 Replies

taba

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2016 09:29 pm
Must read
Quote:
A recent poll by the Public Religion Research Institute found that 83% of Americans know a little or nothing at all about the religious beliefs and practices of Muslims. Our president took the opportunity last week to mis-educate them.

In the course of a 48-minute speech, Barack Hussein Obama whitewashed Islam’s dark history, sugarcoated its violent texts and rewrote America’s founding as one embracing Islam — all to mainstream Islam and pander to Muslim voters ahead of the presidential election.

The media described Imam Obama’s sermon, delivered from the musallah of a Baltimore mosque with a long track record of preaching hate and supporting terrorism, as a “touching” tribute to tolerance. But in truth, the speech was a tissue of lies.

Obama mouthed no fewer than 20 flagrant falsehoods during his 5,000-word speech, including: “For more than 1,000 years, people have been drawn to Islam’s message of peace. And the very word itself, Islam, comes from salam — peace.”

In fact, Islam means “submission,” a very different matter. Submitting to Allah and obtaining submission from others, if necessary by force, is the great commission of Islam. Peace, or salam, is achieved when the world submits to Allah’s laws.

OBAMA: “Islam prohibits terrorism, for the Quran says whoever kills an innocent, it is as if he has killed all mankind.”

FACT: The Quranic verse the president quotes — 5:32 — actually condones killing those who “murder” Muslims, “wage war against Allah” or spread “mischief in the land.” Mischief is defined as “treason against Allah,” and the very next verse — 5:33 — calls for guilty infidels to be beheaded. Obama glosses over all of this in his edited version.

(It’s extremely telling that the president and other Islamic apologists can cite only one verse in the Quran to dispute the demonstrable fact that Islam is inherently violent. Even then, they have to dishonestly abridge that verse to disguise its underlying violent meaning.)

OBAMA: “Islam has always been a part of America . . . Jefferson and John Adams had their own copies of the Quran.”

FACT: Jefferson obtained an English translation of the Quran not because he was a fan of the religion, as Obama suggests, but because he was studying law and wanted to understand foreign laws including Islamic law. He later went on to publicly slam the religion as anti-science and anti-reason.

President Adams, for his part, studied the Muslim holy book to gain insights on the thinking of America’s first Islamic enemy in our out first war on terrorism — the Muslim pirates on the Barbary coast terrorizing American merchant ships. He learned that “it was written in their Quran that all nations who should not have acknowledged their authority were sinners (and) it was their right and duty to make war upon them wherever they could be found,” and that every Muslim slain in battle “was sure to go to Paradise.” (Sound familiar?)

His successor Jefferson sent the U.S. Marines to “the shore of Tripoli” to destroy the Islamic barbarians.

President John Quincy Adams, moreover, condemned the violent nature of Islam, noting “the precept of the Quran is perpetual war against all who deny that Mahomet is the prophet of God . . . The command to propagate the Muslim creed by the sword is always obligatory, when it can be made effective. The commands of the prophet may be performed alike by fraud or by force.”

OBAMA: “Benjamin Franklin wrote that ‘even if the Mufti of Constantinople were to send a missionary to preach to us, he would find a pulpit at his service.’ “

FACT: Franklin was referring to a Philadelphia meeting hall being so secular in design it could accommodate any sect. Taking the quote out of context, Obama made it sound as if another founding father were eagerly embracing Islam.

OBAMA: “By the way, Thomas Jefferson’s opponents tried to stir things up by suggesting he was a Muslim — so I was not the first. No, it’s true, it’s true. Look it up. I’m in good company.”

FACT: Jefferson was accused of being an atheist, not a Muslim. Obama’s source is a Muslim apologist from the University of Texas who got the history wrong. She also claims Jefferson held the first “Iftar” dinner for Muslims in the White House, when in fact he merely hosted a Tunisian official for the sole purpose of negotiating the release of an American ship his Muslim pirates were holding captive.

So no, Mr. President, you decidedly are not in good company. Try as you may to revise American history, you remain the first and only Defender-in-Chief of Islam.

— Sperry, formerly IBD Washington bureau chief, is author of “Infiltration: How Muslim Spies and Subversives Have Penetrated Washington.”
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2016 12:41 am

http://i.imgur.com/thrnX3z.jpg

Just something I thought was funny.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2016 08:30 am
a walloping New Yorker cover (Barry Blitt the artist) re past presidents and Trump -

http://www.newyorker.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/CoverStory_Blitt_Presidents_Trump-690x942-1453499456.jpg
oralloy

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2016 10:08 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
a walloping New Yorker cover (Barry Blitt the artist) re past presidents and Trump -

Mr. Trump is about to sweep Liberalism into the dustbin of history and reshape America for the 21st century.

It stands to reason that Liberals will grow ever more strident and childish as extinction looms for their failed ideology.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2016 12:00 pm
@ossobuco,
Unfortunately, your hallucination is for real, and many voters like Trump. That such a racial bigot can get so much media coverage only supports his campaign. What has this country come to?
taba

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2016 12:50 pm
Quote:

Police Baffled After Guy Named Mohammad Goes on Machete Rampage at Ohio Deli

Move along, nothing to see here. Weird how these things always happen after Obama lectures us about Islamophobia.

http://www.jammiewf.com/2016/police-baffled-after-guy-named-mohammad-goes-on-machete-rampage-at-ohio-deli/
McGentrix

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2016 12:52 pm
@taba,
taba wrote:

Quote:

Police Baffled After Guy Named Mohammad Goes on Machete Rampage at Ohio Deli

Move along, nothing to see here. Weird how these things always happen after Obama lectures us about Islamophobia.

http://www.jammiewf.com/2016/police-baffled-after-guy-named-mohammad-goes-on-machete-rampage-at-ohio-deli/

This country needs common sense machete laws!
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2016 01:28 pm
@McGentrix,
We already do; don't harm anyone with a machete.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2016 07:31 pm
@ossobuco,
Isn't that a great New Yorker cover, osso. Thanks for posting it. When Romney and Ryan were running, they did one my all time favorite covers. I'll find it and post if someone explains how to post a picture.
blatham

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2016 07:37 pm
"Barack Hussein Obama"
taba goes on ignore immediately
Kolyo

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2016 08:58 pm
@blatham,
Hehe... until he posts under yet another screen name. Laughing

(Why aren't his posts in pink I wonder? Did that pen run dry?)
ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2016 09:13 pm
@blatham,
I'll explain best I can if you pm me. I'm a girl with an incredibly obsolete imac, so my instructions may vary, plus last time I used microsoft was ten years ago..

oh, wait, I still suspect some routines are similar.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2016 09:22 pm
@blatham,
Also, Barry Blitt is a plain old genious.

I think some of my republican relatives might not hate this cover.
0 Replies