Can someone please help me with this U.S. History question?

Wed 6 Jan, 2016 01:31 pm
Which of the following occurred in response to California's application for statehood in 1850?

A. Congress adopted an amendment to the California statehood bill that extended the Missouri Compromise line to the Pacific.

B. Some southern politicians wanted to postpone California's admission to the Union and make it a slave territory.

C. Several New England states threatened to secede from the Union if California was admitted as a slave state.

D. President Taylor called a special session of Congress for the purpose of repealing the Missouri Compromise.

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,395 • Replies: 1
Topic Closed
No top replies

LouisJMarinelli

Wed 6 Jan, 2016 03:43 pm
@prpinrni,
None of these, actually.

Congress added a section to the Missouri Compromise that made California a free state. Southerners only agreed to this because Northerners agreed to make Utah and New Mexico territories open to slavery, AND to pass the Fugitive Slave Act (which would require Northerners to return escaped slaves to their slave owners in the South).

Out of A - D, I guess B is the closest, as the Southerns had a problem with a new free state admission and demanded concessions in order to go along with it. Definitely not A. Definitely not D.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Can someone please help me with this U.S. History question?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 05:44:10