Azah

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2016 09:16 am
I'm afraid to say that some sentences included in your former explanation don't make any sense to me. It is not because they are wrong or awkward, it is because I'm weak in English.

If you told "X is the subject of Y", it would make sense to me. Your each usage of "Z" makes some sentences hard for me to understand them. It is my weakness that I take a lot of time to learn some thing, which irritates the people living around me. I would be grateful if you like to make it clear.

This sentence can be written as "Both X and M are the subject of Y".

One may think that I should write this clause as an independent clause, but please, forget this matter for a while.

I would like to know a better way of rewriting the above sentences. Please suggest any improvement. I think, my each usage of as in sentence is wrong, but I don't know why they are wrong.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,283 • Replies: 3
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2016 01:11 pm
@Azah,
Azah, your determination to learn our difficult language is admirable. No intended offense: however you need a buddy, maybe one of us, to translate your q's

Quote:
I'm afraid to say that some sentences included in your former explanation don't make any sense to me.
Not clear whom you're addressing. Need link

Quote:
If you told "X is the subject of Y", it would make sense to me.
Okay us too. However I woulda had said "had said"

Quote:
Your each usage of "Z" makes some sentences hard for me to understand them.
If not a link, Azah, then at least a typical example; we're curious

Quote:
Forgive us Azah, but not sure to what sentence you refer

Quote:
One may think that I should write this clause as an independent clause,
Not sure to what clause you refer 'cause "Both....Y" is already independent

Quote:
I would like to know a better way....Please suggest any improvement.....but I don't know why they are wrong.

Quote:
The foregoing is perfectly okay although we're not sure to what sentence it refers or whether it's true

Quote:
One may think that I should write this clause as an independent clause,...
Again we're not sure to which clause you refer

Quote:
I would like to know a better way of rewriting the above sentences.
"The sentence, 'We've inferred that 'Y can be interpreted to mean either or both X and M' can be written as 'Both X and M are the subject of Y' ".

Quote:
One may think that I should write this clause as an independent clause, but please, forget this matter for a while
"You might conclude from what I've said in the foregoing paragraphs that this very clause I'm presently composing should have been written in an independent form; but if that's what you mean, then please just forget the entire matter"

(..because obviously you're not following me)

If Azah I wasn't entirely clear at all points it's because my time had elapsed; and besides yardwork is strenuously calling. However, if you have any specific questions I'd be most happy to entertain 'em. In any case been a pleasure workin' with ya
Azah

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2016 06:46 am
@dalehileman,
Actually I hoped that the sentences written in italic form would be corrected by an expert of this site. I didn't want any explanation of my problems. What I wrote was not grammatically correct. My sentences included wrong words, therefore they sound unnatural, or they are not grammatically correct. Suppose one may think that the sentence ("If you told "X is the subject of Y", it would make sense to me) is not correct, because the usage of "would" make this sentence wrong. Then experts would suggest the better way to rewrite this sentence. They might told to use "would have" instead of "would". Then the right form of this sentence will be "If you told "X is the subject of Y", it would have made sense to me". I have just explained what I want.

Again I want to clear my desires. All the sentences that I wrote are not correct. Hence I want the better ways to rewrite them. I didn't ask any question in this post. If anybody thinks that my usage of "as" in my sentences is not correct, they may tell it to me. Or if they think that usage of "each usage" in my sentences is wrong, they may suggest me better words instead of "each usage". Even when you are reading my current post, obviously you will find many sentences which are not correct. If anyone suggest me better ways to rewrite these wrong sentences, I would find my mistakes to improve myself.

Thanks a lot to you. You have tried a lot for me. I'm really grateful to you.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2016 12:34 pm
@Azah,
Quote:
Thanks a lot to you.
Quite welcome Azah for what it's worth

Quote:
You have tried a lot for me.
Actually it was quite a bit of work though I hafta admit I probly didn't help you a lot

Quote:
I'm really grateful to you
Yet I apologize most profusely for any apparent implications. I did however find the following of interest

Quote:
Suppose....("If you told "X is the subject of Y", it would make sense to me) is not correct, because the usage of "would" make this sentence wrong.....Then the right form of this sentence will be "If you told "X is the subject of Y", it would have made sense to me"
Some of us might rewrite the sentence in one of several forms depending on the supposed meaning. My immediate reaction was that perhaps "told" should instead have been "had said," while we're still not quite sure what's "it." One of many possible meanings:

If you instead had said, "X is the subject of Y," your earlier statement, "Y is explained by X," would now make more sense to me

Other participants are invited to infer other meanings and rewrite the sentence accordingly
0 Replies