Real Estate Law

gollum

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2015 01:48 pm
If a property owner places a restrictive covenant in the deed to his property, does the restriction continue in perpetuity, long after his death no matter how many times the property changes hands?

jespah

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2015 01:52 pm
@gollum,
This is covered by bane of the existence of most law students - The Rule Against Perpetuities.

Don't ask me to explain it in depth. Like most people who have ever taken the Bar, you forget the details afterwards unless you do Real Estate practice.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2015 03:16 pm
@gollum,
It depends on many things including city/county codes, but there are ways to get around some restrictive covenants by getting the approval of your neighbors -in writing. It's a good idea to get an attorney.
Sabeel

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2016 06:56 am
@cicerone imposter,
Its Good Reply....I agree with you....
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2016 09:38 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:
This is covered by bane of the existence of most law students - The Rule Against Perpetuities.

Don't ask me to explain it in depth. Like most people who have ever taken the Bar, you forget the details afterwards unless you do Real Estate practice.

Oooh. My favorite was The Rule in Shelley's Case, followed by The Doctrine of Worthier Title.
jespah

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 08:05 am
@Ticomaya,
Ack! Make it stop!
0 Replies

redblood101

Reply Thu 4 May, 2017 04:10 am
@gollum,
It is the responsibility of the developer to monitor and enforce the Property Covenants they have set in place, and they last as long as the developer enforces them or up to 10 years. The responsibility of monitoring and enforcing covenants and by-laws can often be passed along to a body corporate to monitor and enforce the after the initial Covenant period has expired.
gollum

Reply Thu 4 May, 2017 05:00 am
@redblood101,
redblood101-

Thank you.

"As long as the developer enforces them or up to 10 years."

If the developer enforces them for more than 10 years? As this written into State law?
jespah

Reply Thu 4 May, 2017 05:56 am
@gollum,
Beware of any specific number like that when talking about the law. Specific numbers are almost always the hallmark of one particular jurisdiction. The law varies from country to country and state to state. One size is nearly never going to fit all. A specific number in a legal answer, unless the jurisdiction is known, is nearly always going to be wrong.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 4 May, 2017 08:44 am
@jespah,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Covenant_(law)
When we bought our home/property, I remember reading about the convent on what's underneath the ground. We have no rights to oil or water.
roger

Reply Thu 4 May, 2017 02:06 pm
@cicerone imposter,
That's common around here. According to 'common knowledge' there are simply no land sales that include mineral rights. The question is whether the land owner can deny access to, say, Conoco/Phillips.
0 Replies

carolineallison

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2017 04:34 am
@cicerone imposter,
Hi cicerone imposter,
Great and well-written post. I totally agree with you. Hiring an experienced attorney is the best way to deal with this problem.
Thanks!!
0 Replies