Affluenza Teen captured in Mexico

snood

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2015 11:33 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Snort! They were in Mexico and ordered Domino's Pizza? goofy.

Not sure why that's goofy. They were supposed to eat Mexican in Mexico?
ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2015 11:52 am
@snood,
I've spent time, back in the day, in P. Vallarta, and even in the sixties there were good restaurants, whether ordinary cafes or fancy, though it was a small town with only one traffic signal at the time.

I'm odd, I suppose, as I've spent three months off and on in Italy and never had any american type food there, much less gone to McDonald's. As it happens, I think it was the first McDonald's that energized Carlo Petrini to start the Slow Food Movement. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slow_Food
Yep, that was it, I just looked it up. I still have my Slow Food pin, though I'm not an official member these days. Italians in particular weren't keen on american franchises coming to their land of small trattorias. There has been resistance around the world, futile, I gather, as people in other places do want to try american food and that's reasonable. It's just as an american, it furrows my brow to not enjoy the foods of the visited country.

Anyway, my view is that by now you can find Dunkin Donuts in Rome, but why would you do that if you do get to travel there? I suppose it's a craving for food from home. And to answer your question, sure you can choose Domino's.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2015 12:23 pm
@ossobuco,
That's been an interesting observation for me too to see Americans eating American fast food while visiting other countries. Makes me wonder why they bother.
snood

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2015 12:31 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

That's been an interesting observation for me too to see Americans eating American fast food while visiting other countries. Makes me wonder why they bother.

You mean why do they bother going to other countries?
I don't know but ya'll sound a little snooty to me. Like, I can't go enjoy the things another country has to offer but still quench an urge for an American hamburger?
ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2015 12:54 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I remember the clerk in the small, inexpensive, but quite nice hotel I stayed at in Lucca. We talked quite a bit, me with poor italian, he with a little better english than my italian - we watched a tennis match (Kuerten and Rios) one evening on the small lobby tv. Anyway, he told me I wasn't one of those "spaghetti eaters", his word for clumps of american tourists at tourist restaurants.

Whatever, Snood, eat what you like, it won't be goofy for you. For me it would be. My traveling hasn't been extensive, always a push to go at all, money wise. I want to see the place and eat the food. It's a comfort level for me.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2015 01:19 pm
@snood,
Sorry it sounds snooty to you. Many people go to other countries on tour where they really don't get the true flavor of the place. Yea, they see the architecture and the museums, but they seem to 'miss' most everything else the country has to offer.
My travel buddy and I have been going to Cuba, and we have friends there. We now stay in private homes for our accommodation at much less cost, and really get to know our host/hostess, and know how most people's life styles are. We also travel outside of Havana to the countryside, and know the geography pretty well - having visited west and east of Havana -including Baracoa which sits on the most eastern side of the country. We also have friends in other towns, and even a Canadian (who owned several restaurants in Vancouver) who married a Cuban. We always revisit places like Floridita, a favorite haunt of Ernest Hemingway and many other notables including movie stars. We drink a lot of mojitos, bucanero, and crystal, and they just reopened Sloppy Joes last year.
We're going to Cuba in February or March; my buddy is looking into accommodations.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2015 05:10 pm
I like the idea of eating the food of the country I visit, so long as it is not too esoteric for my taste. When in Japan I liked some of the simpler dishes, such as fried rice, so much, I later lived next to Chinatown in San Francisco, to eat their food. I had no knowledge of Japanese restaurants, but I hoped it would all work out.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2015 05:12 pm
@edgarblythe,
Many people don't know it, but there's a "J" town in San Francisco.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2015 05:17 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I wish I had known where it was. But, I was young and green.
Lash

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2015 07:03 pm
@edgarblythe,
Man, I adored Japantown. Chinatown too, though. Och!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2015 08:02 pm
If I got it correct a bit ago, Mexico temporarily blocked extraditing the son, but is returning the mother now.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2016 11:04 am
Mexican officials: ‘Affluenza’ teen Ethan Couch returning to Texas
He should be landing in Dallas, any minute now.
0 Replies