World TV

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2016 01:50 pm
@pepsiperfect,
Quote:
before friends there were just greasy café`s

Really? Are you sure about this?

You went to all the trouble of correctly aqccenting the é but then you spoiled it with a greengrocer's apostrophe.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 09:38 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:
Odd man out is LeBlanc, who was the guy with the spinoff.

who happens to be in the culture news today

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2016/feb/04/matt-leblanc-to-co-present-top-gear-bbc-chris-evans

Quote:

The actor, who also starred in the BBC series Episodes, will join Chris Evans, who took over after Jeremy Clarkson’s exit. LeBlanc has previously appeared on Top Gear as a guest.

“Matt’s a lifelong fellow petrolhead and I’m thrilled he’s joining Top Gear. Acting out our craziest car notions on screen is a dream job and I know we’ll both be debating some epic road trip ideas. We can’t wait to share what we’ve been up to on screen later this year,” Evans said.

LeBlanc said: “As a car nut and a massive fan of Top Gear, I’m honoured and excited to be a part of this iconic show’s new chapter. What a thrill.”
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 11:32 am
@ehBeth,
Personally, I think it's a big mistake.

Like a fair proportion of Brit people, I simply switch over whenever Chris Evans is presenting something on radio or TV. He, to me, is the archetypal shouty man, who spends a lot of time on air basically reminding everyone how rich he is, and what a wonderful lifestyle he leads.

I like LeBlanc, and loved his appearance on "old" Top Gear, but that was with the Clarkson team. Clarkson can be a bit of a dick, but he can also be hilariously entertaining. The mix of him with Hammond and May just worked.

I doubt whether LeBlanc will like the shouty man style, and I forsee a pretty quick parting of the ways.

Btw, has anyone mentioned (in detail) LeBlanc's role in "Episodes" on this thread yet? I haven't read through for a while, so forgive me if I'm going over old ground.

He is quite simply brilliant in both series of Episodes, and it is obvious that he loved playing that part. Very highly recommended.
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 11:43 am
Episodes samples......

0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 02:17 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Quote:
I simply switch over whenever Chris Evans is presenting something on radio or TV.

Likewise. I cannot stand the man.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 04:02 pm
@pepsiperfect,
Plenty of coffee houses, coffee shops, in plenty of places, long before Friends showed up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffeehouse
ehBeth

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 04:05 pm
@ossobuco,
and big coffee mugs ... I recall those from the 1970's

ok I lie, I don't recall them - I still have a couple of them

one of them doubled as a soup bowl my first year of university
ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 04:08 pm
@ehBeth,
I remember going into one in Westwood in the days of beatniks. Not that I was a beatnik, I barely had any clue of what that meant (ok, some clue, but not really understanding). I did wear a lot of black back then.

One of my fun memories of a2k meet ups was going from Francis Coppola's cozy and casual restaurant in San Francisco and then a bunch of us going together to City lights bookstore, speaking as I was just now about the beats...

and then some more went to a place they liked next door (you'd have to ask Blatham as I didn't go in, but Bernie and Lola and Dys and Diane liked it... I took photos, including of them, since I loved the building itself and, natch, liked them). I went shopping by myself, also fun as I got a great red suede purse on sale.. that purse later rather chewed up by my business partner's wonderful and dear doberman looking for a candy bar I had in it..

Ok, I'll be quiet now, but there were good coffee places before that tv show.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 04:18 pm
@ossobuco,
I was a big fan of coffee shops back in the 1970's. Always good music. I remember <stops self before lengthy story> ...

I spent too much time trying to keep my hair straight back in those days Rolling Eyes
ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 04:25 pm
@ehBeth,
I remember ironing mine. And using straightener.
Idiot..

On your story, tell, tell, someone needs to shut me up..
ehBeth

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 04:29 pm
@ossobuco,
a couple of hours after ironing and putting straightener stuff on

the waves were starting to kick in again

https://scontent-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/v/t1.0-9/1010024_10151447301355770_957885063_n.jpg?oh=0e43878e76d503e4b9274d10f12b6b25&oe=5726AC5B
ehBeth

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 04:35 pm
@ehBeth,
(do we love that expression and how my arms are just hanging there ?)
ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 04:35 pm
@ehBeth,
Grins.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 04:36 pm
@ehBeth,
Ok, now I'm roaring laughing..
ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 04:42 pm
@ossobuco,
Meantime, I actually looked at that wikipedia piece and it is very interesting, I now want to read the whole thing.

No TVs in most of that history.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 04:46 pm
@pepsiperfect,
pepsiperfect wrote:
before friends there were just greasy café`s!

did you take a wrong turn trying to translate greasy spoon?
ehBeth

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 04:47 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm going to this concert in a couple of months

http://www.tafelmusik.org/concert-calendar/concert/tales-two-cities-leipzig-damascus-coffee-house

Quote:
It’s 1740, and coffee houses are the places to listen to music and share stories, in both the famous trading centre of Leipzig and one of the oldest cities in the world, Damascus.

Experience the visual splendour, music, and contemporary tales of these historic locations, as presented in an entirely memorized programme by Tafelmusik Baroque Orchestra along with Demetri Petsalakis (oud), Naghmeh Farahmand (percussion), and two of Toronto’s most engaging stage personalities, Maryem Tollar and Alon Nashman.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 04:55 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
pepsiperfect wrote:

You can't take anyone seriously who would combine 'pepsi' and 'perfect' for a screen name.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 05:02 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
sheesh

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies