Does anyone cook on/in an Aga?

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 12:31 pm
There's a 6 burner, four oven Aga for sale here on craigslist and I'm kind of lusting after it. It's not one of the all gas "always on" models, which is good, because I don't want to run it all the time.

The tiny looking ovens have me a little concerned tough.

I'm also worried about the weight of the thing. That much cast iron has to weigh a lot.

Are installation and repairs a pain?

This things a bit out of my price range so I probably won't be getting it but I'm really curious about Agas now.

Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 12:38 pm
@boomerang,
We have a Rangemaster (similar-ish), but here's a site that may be helpful...
http://www.agaliving.com/aga-owners/owner-faqs

And this one, maybe.....
http://www.agacentral.com/agafaq.html
boomerang

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 12:55 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Those sites, like almost every Aga site I come across, deal with the "cookers" - the kind that are always on. The one here is much more like a traditional range:

http://images.craigslist.org/00505_5t2Petn9xeV_600x450.jpg

I'm learning that people either adore or hate them. There is no middle ground.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 01:00 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
I'm learning that people either adore or hate them. There is no middle ground.

My best friend's mother has two of the big Agas in her kitchen. Loves them.

My best friend (who posts here occasionally, will try to get her to chime in) has one. She alternately loves and hates it. Her son loves it for baking.

All I can ever think of when I see them is the cleaning they need. They're beautiful but too much upkeep for me (I'm not a fan of edges and crevasses).
boomerang

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 01:08 pm
@ehBeth,
I haven't seen one in person so knowing they're complicated for cleaning is good. Thanks. There really isn't too much information about them when compared to other ovens and most people who have an opinion on them have never laid a finger on one.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 01:13 pm
@boomerang,
My friend is the only person I know who has an Aga who doesn't have at least a part-time housekeeper. They are beyond beautiful when they're all polished up. I kind of like just standing near it with a cup of tea and chatting. Makes me feel fancy Smile

Is there a local shop that has someone who could handle required repairs? most standard appliance shops don't know what to do with Agas.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 01:14 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
I'm also worried about the weight of the thing. That much cast iron has to weigh a lot.

oh yeah

you do need sturdy floors and someone to move it for cleaning behind
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 01:20 pm
My next door neighbour has a cat called Khan, as it can always be found on a chair right next to the Aga.

0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 01:39 pm
@boomerang,
Quote:

gas & oil models:

2 oven 406 kg (895 pounds)
3 oven 477 kg (1,051 pounds)
4 oven 584 kg (1,287 pounds)
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 01:47 pm
@ehBeth,
I think I've fallen for it as a "trophy wife" -- beautiful, useful in a limited capacity, and not at all practical.

I have to replace my stove. I want something basic, without a lot of bells and whistles and electronic keypads and programming mumbo jumbo.

ossobuco

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 01:48 pm
My last house, sob, had an old O'Keefe & Merritt : how I miss it.

I'm not sure this is exact (this one is 50's but mine could have been earlier. I remember mine as wider. You'd get the idea though:

http://www.antiquegasstoves.com/images/OKMwhite/small.gif
boomerang

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 01:55 pm
@ossobuco,
There are several vintage stoves on craigslist right now and I am totally. not. going. to. look. anymore. They're swoon-worthy but I just can't do it.

This one, I think, is the same as the one you posted. Only $300!

http://images.craigslist.org/00909_3aK0Jdfflxx_600x450.jpg
ehBeth

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 02:00 pm
@boomerang,
I'm planning to get an old-fashioned, plain, cheap-o from Sears to replace my lovely Harvest Gold stove that is still working (for the most part Sad ). Nothing tricky to clean, no buttons or keypads. My appliance repair guy has suggested that I buy an old restored stove from the 1960's - even though it's less repair and commission $ for him.
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 02:11 pm
AGAs gas use a lot of energy, they are on all the time - in a week, even the two-oven uses 40 litres of kerosene or diesel, 60 litres of propane gas, 425 kWh of natural gas or 220 kWh for the electric models. That is, almost as much gas in a week as a standard gas oven/hob does in nine months.

Pedant note: It's AGA all in capitals, although many Brits don't bother. The Swedish company that invented them is Aktiebolaget Gas Accumulator.

Plus, it'a myth that they can heat the whole house. The do not have central heating capability.

ossobuco

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 02:11 pm
@boomerang,
Yeah.. I loved loved loved mine. I'd had one before, in my first apartment. I didn't find cleaning it hard, but I'm not a compulsive cleaner in the first place. Plus, see those little trays.. I think they were trays, not positive now.

0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 02:17 pm
@ehBeth,
I bought a pretty cheap one about 6 years ago and it is absolutely falling apart. The keypad where you set the oven temperature only works on rare occasions so I'm stuck cooking everything at 350.

We decided that instead of doing a major kitchen remodel that we'd do a mini remodel and get higher quality appliances. I'm really looking at Bluestar but that Aga is just so sexy that I couldn't just click past without learning more.

We went to an appliance store last weekend and Mr. B fell hard for a $13,000 Miele range, which is about $10,000 over what we consider a very healthy oven budget. Everything looks dowdy to him now.
boomerang

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 02:19 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
The one I'm looking at is a duel fuel -- electric ovens with a gas cooktop. It isn't on all the time so it doesn't consume that kind of energy, from what I've read.
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 02:27 pm
@boomerang,
Quote:
duel fuel -- electric ovens with a gas cooktop

Ah, modern, non-storage cookers that look like traditional AGAs. That's much better.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 02:33 pm
@boomerang,
Tell Mr. B to stay away from those Miele things. They are a repairman's dream and no one else's.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 02:34 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
The keypad

my repair guy says to stay away with anything that has electronics. Good old knobs are the way to go - anyone can fix them - quickly. He says they are hard to find because they last longer.

1. Forums
  2. » Does anyone cook on/in an Aga?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 03:51:06