The trolley problem

Tuna

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2015 09:50 pm
How do you answer the trolley problem?

wikipedia wrote:
The trolley problem is a thought experiment in ethics. The general form of the problem is this: There is a runaway trolley barreling down the railway tracks. Ahead, on the tracks, there are five people tied up and unable to move. The trolley is headed straight for them. You are standing some distance off in the train yard, next to a lever. If you pull this lever, the trolley will switch to a different set of tracks. However, you notice that there is one person on the side track. You have two options: (1) Do nothing, and the trolley kills the five people on the main track. (2) Pull the lever, diverting the trolley onto the side track where it will kill one person. Which is the correct choice?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 2,651 • Replies: 31
No top replies

Tuna

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2015 10:10 pm
One or many. That's the choice.
layman

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2015 10:19 pm
@Tuna,
Quote:
Ahead, on the tracks, there are five people tied up and unable to move.

Let it roll.

Tuna

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2015 10:21 pm
@layman,
Thank Mergatroid, Layman.

You're a freakin' genius.
layman

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2015 10:47 pm
@Tuna,
I have a little feelin here that you just bein sarcastic and you're missin the whole damn point, eh, Tuna? Mebbe I should oughta say a BIG-ASS feelin. But the answer is obvious aint it? What this guy done said:

Quote:
“There are four kinds of Homicide: felonious, excusable, justifiable, and praiseworthy.” (Ambrose Bierce)
Tuna

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2015 10:50 pm
@layman,
No, I wasn't being sarcastic.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2015 10:59 pm
@layman,
Speakin of lettin it roll, and all....

0 Replies

layman

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2015 11:04 pm
@Tuna,
Tuna wrote:

One or many. That's the choice.

That aint even the question. This aint no matter of quantity.

New "choice."
1. One beautiful HOT innocent fine upstanding American Babe, or
2. 100 sneering, insolent, throat-cutting, deranged ISIS butchers.

What's it gunna be? One, or many?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 04:15 am
Been there, done that . . . more than a decade ago . . .
Leadfoot

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 09:16 am
@Tuna,
I go for the long shot.

I wait for the runaway car to get to the switch. When the front of the trolley is past, I throw the switch thus causing the rear wheels to follow the side track de-railing the trolley and save all the people on the tracks.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 01:07 pm
In general surveys around 90% of respondents choose to kill the one and save the five, but a survey conducted among professional philosophers showed 68% would kill the one, 8% would not switch, and the remaining 24% had another view or could not answer. I'm with the 24%.

Tuna

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 08:23 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Tes yeux noirs wrote:

In general surveys around 90% of respondents choose to kill the one and save the five, but a survey conducted among professional philosophers showed 68% would kill the one, 8% would not switch, and the remaining 24% had another view or could not answer. I'm with the 24%.

Me too. There is no right answer, of course. It's just a key to seeing something about yourself, right?
0 Replies

Tuna

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 08:24 pm
@Setanta,

I expected so. Open the windows. Let the breeze in.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 09:09 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
I go with leadfoot.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 09:23 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I'm with CI
0 Replies

layman

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 10:54 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
This "problem" seems easy, a priori. Say, for example, 5 convicted killers had a simultaneous date with old sparky, and you could, at the last minute, send the current to some guy eagerly watchin in the front row. Who ya gunna call?

Just ask yourself: How come 5 people are tied to the track. Obvious, aint it? Because they DESERVED it.

If, for some damn reason, they tied themselves to the tracks, say, for example, because they were tryin to stop the shipment of whale meat, or some ****, then give em what they want. Don't mess up some poor innocent bystander, ya know?
Setanta

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 02:31 am
@Tuna,
You're equating yourself with a breath of fresh air . . . Ah-hahahahahahahahahahaha . . . ya can't beat this place for free entertainment.
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 03:55 am
@layman,
Quote:
This "problem" seems easy, a priori. Say, for example, 5 convicted killers had a simultaneous date with old sparky, and you could, at the last minute, send the current to some guy eagerly watchin in the front row. Who ya gunna call?

I am guessing you are being ironic - I would refuse to take part in a capital punishment process, which is not available in the jurisdiction in which I am a citizen anyhow, and deliberately killing a bystander would be murder.

layman

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 04:16 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Quote:
I would refuse to take part in a capital punishment process, which is not available in the jurisdiction in which I am a citizen anyhow, and deliberately killing a bystander would be murder.

Well, Tes, sometimes ya gotta choose between the lesser of two "evils," eh? The question presupposes that you are in a position to make a choice.

You can't evade the issue by refusing to participate. Remember what Kierkegaard said, eh?: Not to decide is to decide.

If you do nothing, you have "decided," by your inaction, to let the 5 die.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 04:43 am
Nobody's going to "die". This is a hypothetical situation. A psych test. A moral conundrum. Which would I save, one cute kitty or a bucket of 100 ugly slugs? It doesn't matter what I answer. If anything, it's a test of how moral the subject wishes to think themselves to be.