Raspberry Pi - the $5 computer

ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 05:37 pm
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/raspberry-pi-computing-for-pocket-change-1.3372848

Quote:
The era of the $5 computer has arrived.

The latest version of the Raspberry Pi is even being given away free with a magazine. Not a subscription. Just buy the single issue of Magpi and you get a free computer.

Quote:
Behind it all is the Raspberry Foundation, a U.K. charity dedicated to computer education and cheap technology. The latest Raspberry Pi, called the Zero, is part of a movement that combines inexpensive hardware, collaboration and open source software to drive prices down and create an explosion of new uses for computers.

One place keen on the ultra cheap computers is Hackspace, a place where hobbyists meet to swap ideas and work on technology projects in Vancouver.

Hackspace director Rob MacKenzie has one of the devices hooked up to a monitor and keyboard to show that, at its heart, the Pi can handle word processing and web browsing like far more expensive computers.

Nearby, inside a vending machine alongside Snickers bars and other junk food, is a row of cheap computer parts including earlier versions of the Raspberry Pi.

"I'm definitely waiting to get my hands on some of the $5 ones. They're really hard to get right now. They've been sold out everywhere I can see, but they're pumping them out as fast as they can."

Hackspace member Jon Grieman is using a Pi as the brains behind a futuristic pinball machine he's designing.

He says it brings powerful computing down to mere pocket change.

"It's a cup of coffee. I can have a couple sitting in a box and when I need one pull it out and leave it in a project."

have you tried Raspberry Pi?

http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TOH/Images/Photos/37/300x300/exps29824_MBM1450751D1.jpg

what would you use one for?

https://www.raspberrypi.org/

ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 05:52 pm
@ehBeth,
I'll give that a wait and see, but it's an interesting development, or at least sounds so, says Ms. non-tech savvy who tries to pay attention.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 06:07 pm
@ossobuco,
The radio piece I listened to that led to me looking up a bit more was intriguing.

Got an old keyboard? got an old mouse? got a monitor or a t.v.? apparently a Raspberry Pi and a few cords have you in business.

Given that the keyboard and monitor costs (if you don't have old ones) add up to about the cost of a usable tablet, the $5 Raspberry Pi seems on target.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 06:20 pm
@ehBeth,
Yep. I still have my blueberry mac (it was so pretty). The hard drive was removed with no transference of stuff (money, honey, but I still have that too).

I'd rather get a much newer used mac than the one I have rather than this raspberry thingy, but hey, I'll read up.

You might have noticed that I tried to youtube Raspberry Beret but it was some copywrited version, thus nixed, and then decided not to digress on the thread just yet. But, I've three berets and none of those are raspberry colored. One could wear one while computing..
ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 06:26 pm
@ossobuco,
I prefer trapper hats when it's a cold winter day

I have a raspberryish one much like this

http://c.shld.net/rpx/i/s/i/spin/image/spin_prod_1071369012?hei=333&wid=333&op_sharpen=1

One winter I wore it quite a bit while posting on Izzie's shipboard antics thread.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 06:51 pm
My friend has one of these. It is very cool for tech hobbyists. I don't think it will make non-tech geeks happy. The Raspberry Pi is usable... kind of. Anyone used to the performance of a computer that is less than 15 years old will not be happy. Yes, you can do browsing and word processing on it, but this will be really slow since there isn't much computing power.

What makes the Raspberry Pi really cool is that you can hook things to it, and use it as a control computer for whatever little devices you can think up. My friend runs a little light display with one. Other people use them to hook up little sensors... or to hook up a camera to automatically snap pictures under certain conditions.

If you have any kind of little electronic project that needs a programmable control, the Rasberry Pi is a good choice.

I am looking at buying a little board that will let me hook up a Raspberry Pi to our Lego Mindstorms set... this will let me build robots with the Lego motors and sensors. My daughter already has great fun with the Mindstorm parts.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 07:03 pm
@ehBeth,
Made me laugh..
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 07:39 pm
@ossobuco,
For any non-techie types on this thread, I think we should make clear that this is the RaspberryPi:
https://www.adafruit.com/images/970x728/998-00.jpg

For a technology student this is a great tool, especially for $5. But for most home users, calling this a computer is like calling a go-cart a Lamborghini.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 07:54 pm
@rosborne979,
I'm very tempted. Spent a fair bit of time the other week chatting with someone about our early days programming in the 1970's. She's already retired and getting into some fun new techie stuff. I kind of want to get some tech toys to play with too.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 08:03 pm
@rosborne979,
I got it, thanks all. I'll still read.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 08:14 pm
For under $100, Chromebit is for the not so tech savvy:
Quote:
Google just introduced a whole new kind of Chrome OS computer—a dongle that plugs into any HDMI-equipped display. It’s called a Chromebit, and it isn’t your run-of-the-mill streaming stick. For under $100, you’re looking at a full computer that plugs right into your TV.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 08:18 pm
@tsarstepan,
I think that's what my best friend's son has recommended for my dad. It'll be interesting to see what he ends up with. He's already running youtube on the tv ... I suspect it's weeks or a month til he's hooked up with something like Chromebit.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 08:33 pm
@rosborne979,
Ooooohhhh that's sexy! Now we are going to get a NSFW tag on this thread.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 08:55 pm
@ehBeth,
I've been meaning to get one one day, but I'm not the target audience for it (it is aimed at bringing cheap programmable hardware to children, and I own plenty of expensive programmable hardware).

A common use for it is to make a little media streaming box to attach to your TV, and there too it is not a great fit for me as I prefer the more polished experiences of things like the Apple TV.

But still, it's so cheap that one day I'll get one just for shits and giggles.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2015 10:35 am
@ehBeth,
If you have the cords, and a spare keyboard, mouse, and monitor, just give it a shot! What have you got to lose? If you end up using it permanently, though, you probably want to invest another $10 in an enclosure.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2015 10:45 am
@rosborne979,
Pi just introduced the Pi Zero. The Raspberry Pi is still $35.

This is the Pi Zero
http://i.cbc.ca/1.3338019.1448549216!/fileImage/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/16x9_620/rapsberry-pi-zero.jpg
ehBeth

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2015 10:49 am
@parados,
It's adorable.

When I remember the old computer buildings/rooms from the 1950's/60's and then look at that darling thing, I marvel.
parados

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2015 10:59 am
@ehBeth,
It has a 1ghz processor which makes it faster than any home computer prior to 2000.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2015 11:00 am
@parados,
Do you have to add your own operating system? Or is it Linux based?
parados

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2015 11:07 am
@tsarstepan,
I would guess like the original Pi it comes with no sd card and no installed software. Pi has downloadable software with different versions of linux, and opensource media center. The most recent version of the Pi (Pi2 model B) is capable of running windows 10. (Reports are it runs slow.)

You can also pay a little more to buy a Pi with the software already on an sd card.

At one point there was an attempt to put android on Pi.

Here are some of the OS available.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/