live streaming.....

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2015 12:29 am

Looking for a way to do online streaming... Unfortunately, I've come to the conclusion that the combination of youtube streaming and Xsplit is fubar technology. I'd appreciate hearing from anybody with any better ideas.

rosborne979

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2015 05:11 am
@gungasnake,
What are you trying to do exactly?
gungasnake

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 01:41 am
@rosborne979,
Simple presentations. I'd like to be able to do what you might call a lecture of sorts while showing a copy of powerpoint which was running on my own screen and having my computer's microphone also captured into the scene. Xsplit is letting me do that but there is an echo which I can almost get rid of by tuning, but cannnot totally eliminate.
rosborne979

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 05:20 am
@gungasnake,
Have you tried GoToMeeting or Join.Me or WebeX or things like that?

You could also check SourceForge for any Open Source solutions.
gungasnake

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 06:38 am
@rosborne979,
Thanks, I might end up doing that but there are several reasons for wanting to use Youtube if I can. Most major is the idea of having a single source users could easily get to for both live meetings and past meetings stored as videos.
gungasnake

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 06:57 am
@rosborne979,
A search on VNC, meetings, and "open source" turns this up:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/bigbluebutton/?source=directory

If it works, this might be the answer or at least a fallback position.
rosborne979

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 08:31 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
Thanks, I might end up doing that but there are several reasons for wanting to use Youtube if I can. Most major is the idea of having a single source users could easily get to for both live meetings and past meetings stored as videos.
I'm pretty sure YouTube does not support interactive collaboration and never will. It is not designed for that and does not fit as a logical extension of that functionality.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 08:36 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
A search on VNC, meetings, and "open source" turns this up:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/bigbluebutton/?source=directory
If it works, this might be the answer or at least a fallback position.

This one sounds reasonable, but you would be hosting the session on your system and on your network. So you might have to make some firewall port changes to make everything work.

Wouldn't it be easier to just use one of the Online hosted collaboration tool like GoToMeeting, or do you require a free solution?
gungasnake

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 12:24 pm
@rosborne979,
Has to be free. Msoft has its own version of something like that called live meeting, which might also work.
rosborne979

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 01:03 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
Has to be free. Msoft has its own version of something like that called live meeting, which might also work.

I think Microsoft uses Lync for that now.

But if it has to be completely free then you may have to go with OpenSource stuff from SourceForge.

Join.Me is also free, but I've only used it for 1-to-1 screen sharing, I've never tried it as a presentation layer for multiple people.

How many people are you trying to present to, and do you know them or is this for some type of Online "open access" presentation?
gungasnake

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 02:25 pm
@rosborne979,
Don't really know how many just yet, could be up to a couple hundred. I'll check out join.me as well, thanks!
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 02:26 pm
@gungasnake,
Sounds like a textbook case for Google Hangouts.
rosborne979

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 02:52 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I've heard of Google Hangouts but not used it. Does it allow anyone to enter like a forum, or is it limited only to people you know (like a FaceBook type of connection)?
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 03:18 pm
@rosborne979,
It has both, typically most users will use it for communicating with their friends but it also has Hangouts On Air which is for broadcasting to a greater audience.

See here: https://support.google.com/plus/answer/2553119?hl=en
rosborne979

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 03:23 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Looks good. What do you think Gunga, will this work for you?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 04:04 am
@Robert Gentel,
Thanks, will check it out. Whatever the hell is needed to use a broadcaster like XSplit or OSB and Youtube looks like some sort of a state secret or something and I haven't been able to figure out what it is. I mean I can get it to work but I cannot get rid of the time lag or the echoing problem and I cannot turn up any useful info on how to deal with that.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 04:30 am
@Robert Gentel,
That actually works fifty times better than what I've been getting with the two broadcasters and youtube streaming!! No delays, no echoes, no BS of any sort!!
Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 09:45 am
@gungasnake,
Glad it worked out for you.
0 Replies

DannFerno

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2016 07:15 am
I looked once, it was interesting. Now there's no time.
0 Replies