“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts”?

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2015 09:07 am
1) Does “Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” mean "“Science is the belief that experts are ignorant”?

2) Does "it is difficult to get across a real feeling as to the beauty" mean "it is difficult to catch/enjoy a real feeling about the beauty"?

Context:

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”
―Richard Feynman

“To those who do not know mathematics it is difficult to get across a real feeling as to the beauty, the deepest beauty, of nature... If you want to learn about nature, to appreciate nature, it is necessary to understand the language that she speaks in.”
―Richard Feynman

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
FBM
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2015 09:11 am
@oristarA,
1) Yes, it's the admission that not everything is known, not even to the experts. Therefore, the search for more and better understandings continues.

2) To "get across" something is to communicate it clearly and effectively. It's difficult to communicate the experience of beauty in mathematics to someone who doesn't already share a deep understanding and appreciation of it.
oristarA

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2015 09:40 am
@FBM,
Cool.

Should "know" be "knowing" in the following, BTW?

“We can't define anything precisely. If we attempt to, we get into that paralysis of thought that comes to philosophers… one saying to the other: you don't know what you are talking about!. The second one says: what do you mean by talking? What do you mean by you? What do you mean by know?”
―Richard Feynman
layman

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2015 09:45 am
@oristarA,
Feynman did not have a high opinion of scientists, as a class. Read what he has to say about "cargo cult science," for example. Such as:

Quote:
Cargo cult science comprises practices that have the semblance of being scientific, but do not in fact follow the scientific method.[1] The term was first used by physicist Richard Feynman during his 1974 commencement address at the California Institute of Technology.

Cargo cults—a religious practice that has appeared in many traditional tribal societies in the wake of interaction with technologically advanced cultures—focus on obtaining the material wealth (the "cargo") of the advanced culture through magical means, by building mock aircraft landing strips and the like.

Feynman cautioned that to avoid becoming cargo cult scientists, researchers must avoid fooling themselves, be willing to question and doubt their own theories and their own results, and investigate possible flaws in a theory or an experiment.... "it's this type of integrity, this kind of care not to fool yourself, that is missing to a large extent in much of the research in cargo cult science."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult_science

Kinda makes me think of good ole Max, know what I'm sayin?

FBM

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2015 09:50 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

Cool.

“We can't define anything precisely. If we attempt to, we get into that paralysis of thought that comes to philosophers… one saying to the other: you don't know what you are talking about!. The second one says: what do you mean by talking? What do you mean by you? What do you mean by know?”
―Richard Feynman

Feynman, bless his heart, was not an English major, so he's guilty of faulty parallelism here. He jumps from a gerund (talking), to a pronoun (you), to a verb or bare infinitive. There's no way to make the pronoun into a gerund, but it would have been better to use "knowing," yes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallelism_(grammar)
oristarA

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2015 10:09 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

oristarA wrote:

Cool.

―Richard Feynman

Feynman, bless his heart, was not an English major, so he's guilty of faulty parallelism here. He jumps from a gerund (talking), to a pronoun (you), to a verb or bare infinitive. There's no way to make the pronoun into a gerund, but it would have been better to use "knowing," yes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallelism_(grammar)

Excellent!
0 Replies

layman

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2015 10:20 am
@FBM,
Quote:
it would have been better to use "knowing," yes.

If you're looking for parallellism, I would use "know," not "knowing."

He used the word "know" and you're asking what he means by the word "know."

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2015 10:21 am
@layman,
Feynman's views about the roles of the sciences were based upon a simple rule that we must always be in doubt. Perhaps youd enjoy his "The Pleasure of Finding Things Out".
Your"settled layman science" opinions notwithstanding.

0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2015 10:40 am
@layman,
layman wrote:

Feynman did not have a high opinion of scientists, as a class. Read what he has to say about "cargo cult science," for example. Such as:

Quote:
Cargo cult science comprises practices that have the semblance of being scientific, but do not in fact follow the scientific method.[1] The term was first used by physicist Richard Feynman during his 1974 commencement address at the California Institute of Technology.

Cargo cults—a religious practice that has appeared in many traditional tribal societies in the wake of interaction with technologically advanced cultures—focus on obtaining the material wealth (the "cargo") of the advanced culture through magical means, by building mock aircraft landing strips and the like.

Feynman cautioned that to avoid becoming cargo cult scientists, researchers must avoid fooling themselves, be willing to question and doubt their own theories and their own results, and investigate possible flaws in a theory or an experiment.... "it's this type of integrity, this kind of care not to fool yourself, that is missing to a large extent in much of the research in cargo cult science."

Good stuff.
(This reply of yours was missing as I read FBM's.)
FBM

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2015 10:46 am
@oristarA,
Please don't believe that BS rhetoric about Feynman not having a high opinion of scientists. The cargo cult societies are not scientists. They are primitive, superstitious, blind believers in mysticism. If Feynman didn't have a high regard for scientists, then he wouldn't have had a high regard for science, and he wouldn't have dedicated his life to it. Rolling Eyes https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult
oristarA

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2015 11:24 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

Please don't believe that BS rhetoric about Feynman not having a high opinion of scientists. The cargo cult societies are not scientists. They are primitive, superstitious, blind believers in mysticism. If Feynman didn't have a high regard for scientists, then he wouldn't have had a high regard for science, and he wouldn't have dedicated his life to it. Rolling Eyes https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult

Feynman said very well:
Quote:

Only Lay's introduction is not accurate.
FBM

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2015 11:30 am
@oristarA,
That is a far, far cry from not having a high opinion of scientists. It's only a statement that scientists are human, just like everyone else. Big difference. layman has an agenda to undercut science because he has some pet hypotheses (Special Relativity is one) that only he can see. Therefore, he needs to discredit mainstream science. Sometimes outliers are Nobel Prize winners, but most of the time they're not. layman is playing the lottery instead of getting a genuine education. Beware.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2015 11:31 am
@oristarA,
very good evidence oritar. You are getting the lay of the language really well
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2015 11:55 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
1) Does “Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” mean "“Science is the belief that experts are ignorant”?

Yes, but if you read the quote in context, you will find that Feynman is using the word expert in a quasi-sarcastic way. He really means what I would call pseudo-experts.

Feynman wrote:
We have many studies in teaching, for example, in which people make observations, make lists, do statistics, and so on, but these do not thereby become established science, established knowledge. They are merely an imitative form of science [...] The result of this pseudoscientific imitation is to produce experts, which many of you are. [But] you teachers, who are really teaching children at the bottom of the heap, can maybe doubt the experts. As a matter of fact, I can also define science another way: Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.

When someone says, "Science teaches such and such," he is using the word incorrectly. Science doesn't teach anything; experience teaches it. If they say to you, "Science has shown such and such," you might ask, "How does science show it? How did the scientists find out? How? What? Where?"

It should not be "science has shown" but "this experiment, this effect, has shown." And you have as much right as anyone else, upon hearing about the experiments--but be patient and listen to all the evidence--to judge whether a sensible conclusion has been arrived at.

Source

As I understand Feynman, his message here is two-fold. For one, many so-called experts are in fact ignorant. Second, truth in science comes from evidence and logic, not from the authority of "expertise" real or imagined. And every person who puts in the necessary work can evaluate evidence and logic.

oristarA wrote:
2) Does "it is difficult to get across a real feeling as to the beauty" mean "it is difficult to catch/enjoy a real feeling about the beauty"?

No --- not to catch or enjoy it for yourself, but to pass it on to others, your students for example.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 05:16 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
Does “Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” mean "“Science is the belief that experts are ignorant”?

I made a post in another thread which gives a little more context to this quote and goes into a little more detail of what Feynman meant by it, Oris. If you're interested, here's the link:

http://able2know.org/topic/305125-27#post-6090649
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 10:27 am
@layman,
layman wrote:

Quote:

Actually you got that dead wrong Layman. Feynman agrees with me about the role of mathematics in Science, and about special relativity. I read Feynman's lecture series when I was in college. He was brilliant.

http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/I_15.html

There is nothing here that I have said here about Physics that contradicts what Feynman said on the subject of mathematics or physics. You, on the other hand, pretty much called Fenyman's opinion "idiocy" on the Special Relativity thread.

maxdancona

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 10:40 am
@maxdancona,
Feynman wrote:
The principle of science, the definition, almost, is the following: The test of all knowledge is experiment. Experiment is the sole judge of scientific “truth.” But what is the source of knowledge? Where do the laws that are to be tested come from? Experiment, itself, helps to produce these laws, in the sense that it gives us hints. But also needed is imagination to create from these hints the great generalizations—to guess at the wonderful, simple, but very strange patterns beneath them all, and then to experiment to check again whether we have made the right guess. This imagining process is so difficult that there is a division of labor in physics: there are theoretical physicists who imagine, deduce, and guess at new laws, but do not experiment; and then there are experimental physicists who experiment, imagine, deduce, and guess.

Now, what should we teach first? Should we teach the correct but unfamiliar law with its strange and difficult conceptual ideas, for example the theory of relativity, four-dimensional space-time, and so on? Or should we first teach the simple “constant-mass” law, which is only approximate, but does not involve such difficult ideas? The first is more exciting, more wonderful, and more fun, but the second is easier to get at first, and is a first step to a real understanding of the first idea. This point arises again and again in teaching physics. At different times we shall have to resolve it in different ways, but at each stage it is worth learning what is now known, how accurate it is, how it fits into everything else, and how it may be changed when we learn more.

http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/I_01.html
maxdancona

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 10:58 am
@maxdancona,
This was what I tried to say to Layman in the Special Relativity thread that got him all bent out of shape.

Feynman wrote:
“And then there’s the … kind of thing which you don’t understand. Meaning "I don’t believe it, it’s crazy, it’s the kind of thing I won’t accept.”

Eh. The other part well… this kind, I hope you’ll come along with me and you’ll have to accept it because it’s the way nature works. If you want to know the way nature works, we looked at it, carefully. That’s the way it works.

You don’t like it…, go somewhere else!

To another universe! Where the rules are simpler, philosophically more pleasing, more psychologically easy. I can’t help it! OK! If I’m going to tell you honestly what the world looks like to the… human beings who have struggled as hard as they can to understand it, I can only tell you what it looks like.

And I cannot make it any simpler, I’m not going to do this, I’m not going to simplify it, and I’m not going to fake it. I’m not going to tell you it’s something like a ball bearing inside a spring, it isn’t.

So I’m going to tell you what it really is like, and if you don’t like it, that’s too bad.

Of course, Feynman says it with much more authority that I ever could,
0 Replies

layman

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 01:10 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
There is nothing here that I have said here about Physics that contradicts what Feynman said on the subject of mathematics or physics. You, on the other hand, pretty much called Fenyman's opinion "idiocy" on the Special Relativity thread.

Heh, you seem to have trouble understanding what you read, Max. I explicitly said, in that other thread, that Feynman gave the correct explanation of the twin paradox.

I don't disagree with anything Feynman said in the quotes you cited above. I like what he said about QM, too:

Quote:
(paraphrasing): Anyone who says he understands quantum mechanics doesn't understand it.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 01:50 pm
@layman,
My understanding of your posts on the Special Relativity thread is that you disagree with me on two main issues

1) You don't agree that Physics has a correct answer based on mathematics and experiment.

2) You don't agree that Special Relativity is correct Physics as shown by both experiment and mathematics.

Correct me if I misunderstand your position on either of these points.

Feynman agrees with me on both of these points (or I should say, I agree with Feynman).

1. Forums
  2. » “Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts”?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 08:12:56