Who do you think will be the next president of the United States?

ossobuco

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2016 06:04 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
New Mexico. You may know me as Californian (53 years), but I live here now. Interesting place.

No relevance that I can tell, re the election.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2016 06:13 pm
@ehBeth,
I live here and I am super concerned! With out a dem senate and house Bernie will get nothing done and his people arnt a bit worried about congress which proves to me that he and his supporters dont live in the real world.
RABEL222

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2016 06:17 pm
@ehBeth,
Why would one negotiate when they can just say NO.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2016 07:22 pm
@RABEL222,
We live in the real world. The republican members of congress lives in another reality, because the voters refuse to recall all of them.
Blickers

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2016 08:00 pm
@cicerone imposter,
The voters keep electing conservative representatives and senators because Democrats represent younger voters and minority voters to a a large extent, and those groups can be motivated to vote for presidential elections, but are no used to voting that they do it during the midterms. When they get used to voting every couple of years-preferably every year-things will change.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2016 08:11 pm
@Blickers,
And the likelihood is?
Zero?
Blickers

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2016 08:17 pm
@cicerone imposter,
No, I think it is inevitable. The Republican base is older white voters. These are people who
A. Have never had a reason to feel disenfranchised from the system, as many minorities do
B. Have had the time to have voting become a once a year habit, instead of only when all the attention comes down during Presidential elections.

Now that more and more minorities are voting during Presidential years, the inevitable progression is for more and more of them to vote during midterms and even off years. Once you've voted in three or more Presidential elections, it becomes easier and more likely you will vote during a midterm. That applies to the younger voters as well.
Blickers

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2016 08:21 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote ehBeth:
Quote:
Why should independents have any voice in the selection of a leader of a group they are not members of?

In any other group, I wouldn't want non-members to have a say in group leadership.

I totally agree, I've always disagreed with so-called "open" voting in primaries. Just because something seems to sound more "democratic" doesn't really mean it is.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2016 08:45 pm
@Blickers,
I agree with all of you, and I'm an Independent. I want to vote for any candidate, republican or democrat, that meets my ideals the most. I also think the line between democrat and republican have become hazy.

Interesting analysis of conservative democrats. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservative_Democrat
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2016 10:45 am
I read an interesting article on Cruz in NYT, it was an article about his step sister struggles with a drug addiction and Cruz trying to help with tough love (in my opinion, that almost never works)but to give credit where it is due, he did help his nephew and paid for him to go military school in order to provide him structure and kept tabs on him through out his life. Turned out, the nephew quit the school because of bullying and ended up living with his mother for a time. His nephew was the one who found his mother who died from an accidental drug prescription overdoes. His nephew apparently admires Cruz and appreciates all the time and money his uncle spent on him.

Personally I got the feeling from reading that article, Cruz is overbearing in his family life just the same as he is in his political life.

Despite Efforts, Ted Cruz Was Unable to Steer Half Sister Back on Track

Quote:
Ms. Cruz was hopelessly angry, he wrote in “A Time for Truth.”

“Angry that her parents divorced when she was a little girl, angry that her father missed a high school swim meet of hers.”

“I wasn’t terribly understanding,” he added, recounting his tough-love approach. “I pointed out to her that our aunt, Tia Sonia, had experienced far worse — horrific things in a Cuban jail — and yet she raised our Cousin Bibi as a single mom. I told Miriam she needed to stop wallowing in self-pity and do what was needed for her son.”

Unable to steer Ms. Cruz out of addiction, Mr. Cruz focused on helping her son. Taking out a $20,000 advance on his credit card, he enrolled Joseph in Valley Forge Military Academy in Wayne, Pa., hoping that the boarding school would instill discipline and order in the boy’s life

As much as I hate to say this, Trump might be better than Cruz. Both horrible choices.

maporsche

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2016 10:47 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:

As much as I hate to say this, Trump might be better than Cruz. Both horrible choices.

I think Cruz would be far worse. Trump would be a joke and would make America look very bad. Cruz would actually make America bad.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2016 09:29 pm
@Blickers,
I am 80 years old and white. How do you explain me? Too simple explanations make me tired. By the way I vote democratic because they are more to my liking than any republican since Ike.
BillRM

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2016 07:17 am
@RABEL222,
Ike was indeed the last person that the Republican party put up for president that was worth while.
revelette2

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2016 07:31 am
@Blickers,
I think more and more the republican voters are those who seem to have a beef against government interference in civil rights matters, which involves people from all ages and both genders. In other words, not all older folks are republican. Probably a lot of the folks in the sixties are getting up their in age and I doubt all those flower children suddenly turned republican.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2016 08:56 am
@RABEL222,
Quote Rabel222:
Quote:
I am 80 years old and white. How do you explain me? Too simple explanations make me tired.

Age ...........Obama.......Romney
18-29.............60.............37
30-44............52.............45
45-64............47.............51
65 & over......44.............56

http://ropercenter.cornell.edu/polls/us-elections/how-groups-voted/how-groups-voted-2012/

The older you get, the less Democratic you vote and the more Republican. Of course, none of these percentages are over 60%, so there are at least 40% of any age group going against the grain, so to speak.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2016 10:09 am
@revelette2,
I don't want Trump under any circumstance. He's a racial bigot.
BillRM

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2016 10:33 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
He's a racial bigot.

That is only one of his shortcomings and hardly the most important one in my opinion.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2016 10:40 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:
He's a racial bigot.

That is only one of his shortcomings and hardly the most important one in my opinion.

He's a hot tempered bigot who swears he'll use nuclear weapons whenever he has the chance and you're dismissing that horrendous fascist quality? Really?
BillRM

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2016 10:43 am
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
swears he'll use nuclear weapons whenever he has the chance

An that is another one of his shortcomings
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2016 01:26 pm
@BillRM,
HW was a good man and a good President.
0 Replies