The New A2K Site and Medical Questions?

Miller

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 07:54 am
@Foofie,
Quote:
I'm still winning the happiness contest.

No way! You and I are tied!
Miller

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 07:59 am
I hope the POOPS, come back and mark this post down! Shirley Temple won't tap dance for them on Christmas Day! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 03:38 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

Quote:
I'm still winning the happiness contest.

No way! You and I are tied!

Notice that you do not take umbrage with my assertion. However, there are many that would take my assertion as a threat to their level of self-esteem.

Joy is the best revenge. I am starting to correlate anti-Semitism with an unconscious perception (by many a Gentile) that Jews are happier than other monotheistic folks, based on our not being burdened with that obsession with an afterlife, nor the obsession to proselytize. It has not reached their consciousness, I believe. So, they develop other rationales for their antipathy, in my opinion.
Miller

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2015 08:59 am
A Happy New Year to all.

May the new President of the US, Mrs H. Clinton be blessed with good health and good fortune. And, may "The Force" always be with her.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2015 09:07 am
@Foofie,
These are the countries where people are happy - the happiest people on earth

1 Switzerland
2 Iceland
3 Denmark
4 Norway
5 Canada
6 Finland
7 Netherlands
8 Sweden
9 New Zeeland
10 Australia
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2015 02:04 pm
@saab,
Odd, usually I see Costa Rica atop those silly surveys (they are completely pointless) of the "happiest" people.
saab

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2015 02:49 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I neverseen Costa Rica - Denmark has for years been on the top.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2015 06:23 pm
@saab,
Weird, I see it every year but that may be because I live in Costa Rica and will more often see people post articles about Costa Rica (e.g. expats gloating that they live in a happy country with it's "pura vida" culture). Here is an example:

http://time.com/3594543/happiest-countries-maps-costa-rica/

I happen to find these lists and surveys completely meaningless. Self-reported happiness is next to meaningless in this context and your list better correlates with more concrete metrics like quality of life.

I think Costa Rica tops these surveys because happiness is part of their cultural identity so they are more likely to self-report as happy (versus actually being more happy than people in other countries).
saab

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 12:17 am
@Robert Gentel,
Living in Europe I tend to think that Danes as a rule used to be much more content than some of the others who complain no matter what. They are ironic and nasty in some ways and are content as a rule.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 10:13 am
@saab,
saab wrote:

These are the countries where people are happy - the happiest people on earth

1 Switzerland
2 Iceland
3 Denmark
4 Norway
5 Canada
6 Finland
7 Netherlands
8 Sweden
9 New Zeeland
10 Australia

The inference is one should take a vacation in a cooler climate?
saab

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 10:26 am
@Foofie,
Yes absolutely
Scandinavia has some wonderful beaches, other areas are perfect for bicycles and Norway also for hiking.
You can camp, stay in a lovely cabin by ocean, lakes or in a forrest.
Golf is very popular.
Climate perfect for outdoor activities.
http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/images/x/xn_fhs.jpg
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 10:28 am
Happiness is dampened by being "other directed," and needing other's approval for happiness, or needing other's accomplishments. Regardless, we are our own judges of our happiness. However, telling others that we are happier than they may be considered an insult or challenge, especially if one is telling someone that is not truly one's cheerleader (parent most often, I believe).

Regardless, I am happier than many of the people I pass. Their alienation may be indicative of the fact that they perceive I am happier.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 05:04:17