How many Trump supporters do we have on a2k?

roger

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2016 09:52 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Because he knows what we really want. That's because he's got more smarts than the rest of us.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2016 10:12 pm
@roger,
We?
RABEL222

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2016 04:30 pm
@ossobuco,
I heard a citizen on a talk show this morning say they were going to vote for Trump as the best candidate of the lot for president. I almost barfed up my breakfast!
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2016 05:39 pm
@RABEL222,
That citizen is one of the "older, white, uneducated."
Trump is a xenophobe and a racial bigot. The older, white, uneducated are his supporters.
BillRM

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2016 06:40 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Well I think if anything less of Trump than you do but I wonder given his large numbers of supporters if you can fairly declared all of them as "older, white, uneducated groupings.

Talk note of his large numbers of females supporters and given his positions on women issues that is more then slightly surprising at least to me.

Quote:

http://www.hoover.org/research/decoding-trumps-supporters

The demographics of Trump voters are interesting. Slightly over half of Trump supporters are female, about half are between 45 and 64 years of age with another 34% being over 65 years old and less than two percent younger than 30. One half of his voters have a high school education or less compared to 19% with a college or post-graduate degree. Slightly over one third of his supporters earn less than 50,000 per year while 11% earn over 100,000 per year.

In regard to ideology, 20% of his supporters report that they are liberal or moderate with 65% saying they are conservative and 13% labeling themselves as very conservative. His support from those saying they are involved with the tea party movement is 30%—meaning that 70% of his supporters are not involved with the tea party. In sum, his supporters are a bit older, less educated, and earn less than Republican averages in the YouGov sample.

Over the course of the campaign for the nomination, candidates will drop out due to a lack of support, money, or interest—and their supporters will, in most cases, move to another candidate in the field. Our poll also asked respondents whom their second choice for the nomination was, enabling us to ascertain which candidates will benefit as a result of being the second choice. Table 2 shows in order of magnitude which candidates are the most popular second choices for regular Republican identifiers.

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2016 06:49 pm
@BillRM,
Nothing in life is 100% when describing any sort of 'group.' I 'learned' about the 'older, white, uneducated' from an article I read.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2016 06:52 pm
@BillRM,
From the Federalist.com:
Quote:
Here's The Lowdown On Who Supports Donald Trump
thefederalist.com/.../heres-the-lowdown-on-who-supports-donald-trump/
Aug 5, 2015 - Who are these Trump supporters? ... Polling data reveal that Trump supporters are more likely to be male, white, older, with less ..... Then, see if you can make Trump supporters seem less educated and more stupid than the ...
BillRM

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2016 07:08 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Strange as Hoover institution have high standings so their figures that slightly over half of Trump supporters are female should have at least the as high a regards as from federallist.com
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2016 07:40 pm
@cicerone imposter,
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/12/15/what-donald-trump-and-dying-white-people-have-in-common-2/

Quote:
Trump supporters are disproportionately white Americans without college diplomas.

(an interesting article for a number of reasons - worth a peek)

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2015/09/09/who_are_trumps_supporters.html

Quote:
In terms of demographics, Trump’s supporters are a bit older, less educated and earn less than the average Republican. Slightly over half are women. About half are between 45 and 64 years of age, with another 34 percent over 65 years old and less than 2 percent younger than 30. One half of his voters have a high school education or less, compared to 19 percent with a college or post-graduate degree. Slightly over a third of his supporters earn less than $50,000 per year, while 11 percent earn over $100,000 per year. Definitely not country club Republicans, but not terribly unusual either.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/12/the-embarrassment-of-supporting-donald-trump/421365/

Quote:
Pew found the largest mode differences on questions where “social desirability” was most likely to play a role, such as opinions on public figures or personal issues. (They found almost no difference with fact-based questions, such as whether the respondent has a driver’s license or a passport.) This supports Dropp’s embarrassment theory—no one wants to tell a stranger that they’re miserable, or that they support a man many consider a buffoon.

What does this mean for Trump? It’s hard to say. His success online could indicate deeper support for his candidacy than polls currently suggest, as Henry Olsen recently wrote. But consider the first real test for Trump: the Iowa caucuses, where residents meet at public buildings and plead their candidates’ cases before casting a secret ballot. If some Iowans are already too embarrassed to share their true thoughts to a call-center operator, imagine how they’ll feel telling their neighbors.

the Olsen piece

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/12/trump-may-have-more-support-than-we-think/419370/

it's a fascinating read
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 09:21 am
@ehBeth,
You certainly do find the good stuff.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2016 03:54 pm
An interesting New Yorker spoof on Trump - interesting at least to me since it is a concept that could be true, or at least has occurred to me more than once while watching Trump's moves this election season - -

Shouts & Murmurs
We Have a Serious Problem
BY DOUGLAS MCGRATH

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/01/18/we-have-a-serious-problem
0 Replies

onevoice

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2016 10:01 am
83% of Americans claim to be Christians. There is power in numbers. Great power. Mankind has proven over the centuries the extremes it will go to in order to gain power. The easiest way to do that is to gain influence within a group and then grow the group, therefore growing the influence. As the influence grows, so does the power of the one controlling the influence.

83% of Americans claim to be Christians. I am willing to bet less than 10% actually try to live it, or have any idea what it really even means... Outside of weekly church attendance, paying your tithes, and following the Pastor's instructions on what it means to "be good". These are the easiest kind of people to influence as well.

Always looking for answers from anyone who appears confident in what they say. That's all it really takes. Trumps strategy is simple. He's invaded the evengalelical Christian movement. Gotten their attention. There is a theology that is being taught now a days, that is taught without the actual title being used... Dominion Theology. Here's what it boils down to:

"Dominionism" has also been applied more broadly to the mainstream Christian right, implicitly arguing that those groups are founded upon a theology that requires Christians to govern over non-Christians."

This is a scary theology. I have only scratched the tip of that iceburg. It runs deep, and I believe it's intrusion began in the early '90's with the introduction of the "Toronto Blessimg" to America. Power hungry Christians meet a power hungry Trump... All in all... I don't believe it really matters who wins the presidency. America has already set her course.

parados

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2016 10:53 am
@onevoice,
That number has dropped. It is now 70.6% according to Pew Research.

http://www.pewforum.org/religious-landscape-study/
onevoice

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2016 11:46 am
@parados,
Still more than enough to have a very significant effect if they can be influenced properly.
BillRM
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2016 12:15 pm
@onevoice,
LOL how many wives and even children out of wedlock does Trump happen to have?

He is as must of a christian as I am.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2016 12:17 pm
@BillRM,
"Must've a christian" gave me a good laugh.
0 Replies

onevoice

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2016 12:36 pm
@BillRM,
He doesn't have to be "Christian" to win over those claiming Christianity. The Evangelical Christian leaders are promoting him to the Christian population. And he has dipped his toe in the Christian waters just enough to give the appearance the christians are looking for.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2016 01:11 pm
@onevoice,
Only about half of those that call themselves Christian attend church regularly. That is not a majority of the electorate that would be very religious.
onevoice

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2016 01:54 pm
@parados,
Parados if you were out to gain influence over people... For whatever reason, would you target winning groups or individuals?

Groups grow numbers much much faster and provide a greater sphere of influence. It's not about religious or not religious. It's about hidden agendas. Again, mankind has already proven time and time again the lengths it will go to in order to gain power.
parados

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2016 02:08 pm
@onevoice,
Within the Christian community there is a lot of diversity. Trump is attempting to appeal to the evangelicals which are not really the majority of Christians. They might be a majority within the GOP or at least a substantial plurality but when it comes to Christianity in general it is all over the map on social issues.

Is Trump pretending to have a faith to sway primary voters? Probably. Will it have an effect on the general election if he is the GOP nominee? Probably not.