Am I a horrible person...

RABEL222

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2015 08:34 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
I don't see him setting up a fascist dictatorship, though, first because he's really not that bright,

I dont know about that. If he got someone smarter than he is it could happen. Think Bush Chaney duo.
Setanta

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2015 02:01 am
Cheney was one of many members of the PNAC--the Project for a New American Century--which had been lobbying for an invasion of Iraq since 1997, before anyone even knew that Baby Bush would run. In addition to Cheney, PNAC members in Bush's administration included John Bolton, Steven Cambone, Paula Dobrianski, Aaron Friedburg, Fred Ikle, Jeane Kirkpatrick, Lewis "Scooter" Libby, Richard Perle. Dan Quayle, Peter Rodman, Henry Rowan, Donald Rumsfeld, Abram Shulsky and Paul Wolfowitz. Yes, the list is alphabetical, because i found it online in a fraction of a second. Bush was surrounded by these people, most of whom worked for the Defense Department or were members of the Defense Policy Board. Many of them were founding members of the PNAC, and many of them signed the 1997 letter calling on President Clinton to invade Iraq. Many of them were key members of Reagan's administration and/or the administration of the elder Bush.

I doubt that there is any comparable organization which will insinuate itself into Trump's campaign and surround him if he is elected which will have the establishment of a fascist dictatorship as their goal. Of course, if you have information that there is, you could give us the details.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2015 02:46 am
@George,
George wrote:

I'm hoping there are enough checks and balances to keep him from doing too much damage.

Hoping.

That's what von Papen used to say in the early 30's...
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2015 03:26 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

This argument makes no sense because it can be applied to anyone. "Oh yeah? well that's what they said about Hitler!" They said a lot of things about Hitler that can be said about ordinary people and it's a bad guilt by association fallacy and a good example of Godwin's Law.

For once I agree with Izzy. To me, Trumps looks like a buffon just like Mussolini looked like a buffon. Everybody "in the known" seems to think he is too extreme, too gross to get elected. They find him wildely untertaining... But the first thing a good con man does -- and I am personally convinced Trump is a con man, and competent at it too -- is to entertain the people he wants to con, to distract their attention.

Of course, if he gets elected, something else will happen that just a rehash of Italy in the 20's or Germany in the 30's. History never repeats itself and America today is widely different from what Europe was then. It's probably not going to be so bad, but I doubt it's gonna be funny for very long.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2015 11:08 am
@RABEL222,
Trump won't beat Mrs Clinton. She's our next President.. Very Happy .
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2015 11:19 am
@izzythepush,
100% in agreement

__

I'm not nearly as optimistic about this as Set is.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2016 05:45 pm
Known for his sense of humor, the family ophthalmologist recently said, "Eight years of Obama followed by eight years of Trump -- you can't beat that for entertainment." Not that I agree with him.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2016 06:00 pm
I believe Trump is a smarter man than GW Bush and we survived 8 years of him. I have not softened toward Trump, but he could not do many of the things he is threatening and I think he knows it.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2016 10:12 am
@Robert Gentel,
I was reassured a bit about Trump when I saw the way he reacted to Mr. Obama's Fascist anti-gun proposals.

Still, the Republicans have a golden opportunity to move the Supreme Court way to the right in coming years, and it would be nice to get some solid reassurance that a President Trump will pack the courts with far-right justices.

It would be tragic if conservatives lost this opportunity to take over the courts right when victory was in our grasp.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2016 11:43 pm
@George,
Remember Bush and Chaney!
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2016 03:54 am
Guess I'm guilty of the same perverse wish about Trump.
People, as a nation, get the government they deserve.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2016 07:45 am
@Robert Gentel,
I'd rather read about it than experience it, can't we give him a new reality show, instead: "President Trump's Palace"?
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2016 08:35 am
I'm stunned.

Is the USA electorate really that effing impressionable?

I honestly, honestly thought it was a big spoof stalking horse scenario, just to put up two fingers to the same ol' same ol'.

I have watched several clips of him on the podium here and there, and find it hilarious that people fall for his spiel every time.
Lob in a controversial statement, whip up the crowd like kids at a Punch and Judy show, and wait for the massive press and TV coverage that will ensue.
Go to another meeting a week later.....lob in a controversial statement, whip up the audience..... so on and so on.

If it wasn't so truly terrifying, it would seem hilarious to the rest of the world.

McGentrix

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2016 08:48 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

I'm stunned.

I honestly, honestly thought it was a big spoof stalking horse scenario, just to put up two fingers to the same ol' same ol'.

I have watched several clips of him on the podium here and there, and find it hilarious that people fall for his spiel every time.
Lob in a controversial statement, whip up the crowd like kids at a Punch and Judy show, and wait for the massive press and TV coverage that will ensue.
Go to another meeting a week later.....lob in a controversial statement, whip up the audience..... so on and so on.

If it wasn't so truly terrifying, it would seem hilarious to the rest of the world.

I am sure from an outsiders point of view, a lot of things that happen in America can appear confusing. But... "the USA electorate really that effing impressionable?" No, the USA electorate is really that effing fed up with the political process and the political class in general. Both leading candidates would be considered "outsiders" of the established political orders.

Trust me when I say that there is some **** going down in your country that has us equally disturbed.
Leadfoot

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2016 08:50 am
@Lordyaswas,
Quote:

Don't know if that's the right term but they react very quickly to the 'fear of the week'.
Quote:
I'd be hard pressed to find a better example for the US to emulate though.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2016 09:08 am
@Lordyaswas,
Im perfectly resigned to a Trump possibility. The good side of that clown becoming president is that Congress, arguably the most dysfunctional group of selectmen on the planet, would no doubt, begin working together. A living example of the Arabic proverb,
" the enemy of my enemy is my friend"
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2016 09:29 am
@McGentrix,
"Trust me when I say that there is some **** going down in your country that has us equally disturbed."

I would rather read what it is.

I may even agree with you, but am guessing right now that it is a Fox News style fear item.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2016 03:50 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Trump ain't going to win.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2016 04:35 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Personally I feel a sense of shame, With all of the problems this planet is facing, the fact that so many flock to that bloated carnival clown is something I can't fathom.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2016 04:38 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
I hope you're right. I also hope Clinton looses.

0 Replies