disproportionately affected minority? More or less affected?

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2015 02:27 am
When reading "disproportionately affected minority", do you think it "affected minority more"? Or less?

Context:

The article focuses on mortality rates and finds that hospitals in close proximity to an ED that had closed had 5 percent higher odds of inpatient mortality than admissions to hospitals not occurring near a closure, and that this effect disproportionately affected minority, Medicaid, and low-income patients, further exacerbating existing disparities in health care and health outcomes. This finding adds to Hsia’s body of work that calls attention to the disproportionate impact of institutional closures on health outcomes for vulnerable populations.

More:
http://healthaffairs.org/blog/2014/09/11/mortality-rate-increases-with-emergency-department-closures/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 361 • Replies: 3
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
Setanta

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2015 10:55 am
I'm not sure what your question is, but certainly the (rather odd) text you provide--a badly written abstract?--is saying that the mortality of the minority was greater.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2015 12:52 pm
minority, Medicaid, and low-income patients

Don't cut off the comma-separated list at the first item.

As far as I can see, the text says that:

The article focuses on mortality rates and finds that hospitals in close proximity to an ED that had closed had 5 percent higher odds of inpatient mortality than admissions to hospitals not occurring near a closure, and that this effect disproportionately affected:

Minority patients

Medicaid patients, and

Low-income patients.

The 5 percent extra deaths which were found contained a disproportionate number of patients in those categories (i.e. a different percentage compared with the numbers of people in those categories in the general population. I imagine they mean disproportionately high).

0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2015 11:42 pm
Thank you both.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » disproportionately affected minority? More or less affected?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 01:40:30