what is interesting?

mosheb

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 03:46 am
A question i have been pondering for years: when I say that something is interesting,does that have any moral value? that is, I would usually do/learn what is interesting. this seems just to mean that I would learn what I enjoy more. So interest is basically plain old hedonistic. Is there any more in it? Is there any moral reason for me to do something that interests me?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,114 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Gala

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 05:57 am
perhaps it's not always that deep. there are times when something is interesting out of observation--

but, i suppose, if you pursue something which interests you, as long as it's not rape, murder, thievery, pillaging, etc, than you are improving yourself and your life, thereby making you more productive in the world.

anyway, the whole topic of hedonism is different-- i believe it's a right of people living in the 21st century to be able to pursue a life they feel is worth living... that includes walking away from conflict in order to live more peacefully. you may call this hedonistic, however, i call it self-preservation.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 06:11 am
interest doesn't have any relationship to morals

we have a constant stream of data input from our senses and most of it we don't remember. interesting just means that it was something different enough that you specifically noticed it and remembered it for a while.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 06:34 am
allow me to clarify-- hedonism and interest (s) are different-- unless, of course, your interests are hedonistic...
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 01:41 pm
well, interest is not necessarily hedonistic
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 02:14 pm
I don't know that interest has any moral value, but what you are interested in may say something towards your morals.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 02:27 pm
Re: what is interesting?
mosheb wrote:
Is there any moral reason for me to do something that interests me?

It depends...

I think a case could be made that is good for us to do something that interests us.

Let's say a person was very interested in everything about firefighting, and wanted to beome a firefighter. Pressure by relatives to become a nurse. But, not at all interested in being a nurse, hated the idea, bored to death by the idea. I'd say it would almost be more moral for that person to do what interested them...ie: become a firefighter and not a nurse. Its not just hedonistic--it probably serves other people and the community better if the person follows their interests, in this case. If they are truly interested in firefighting, they will probably become very good at it, which will benefit others. As for nursing, they might actually be doing people a disservice by doing something they hate, dragging their feet through work each day, etc.

Now this argument doesn't always hold: Say a person is very interested in harming people, killing people. In this case, I don't think it would be moral for them to do what interests them.
0 Replies

mosheb

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 01:26 am
All the answers given here are true but unrelevant. I certainly understand that interest is better than uninterest, but that is just because of all kinds of side reesons and not for the real reason. lets say that I am sitting in a room with no people, no way for my thought etc. to get out. Is there any reason that interest now is better?
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 05:19 pm
This topic isn't very interesting.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 09:56 am
interest is ultimately a reflection on the observer; if something that interests you, turns out to be 'interesting' in general it demonstrates either that you conform closely to the mainstream, a possibly negative point, or that you have, through your wisdom, found a rare intellectual gem, that sparks the curiosity of the masses.

interest is subjective; the judgement of that interest, objective.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 12:53 pm
i think if you are sitting in a room alone with no way for your thought to get "out", then you are dead. in which case you are unrelevant.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 07:52 pm
What's this 'unrelevant' word people keep using? Shouldn't it be 'irrelevant'?? Or is that an American word or something?
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 08:24 pm
mosheb wrote:
All the answers given here are true but unrelevant. I certainly understand that interest is better than uninterest, but that is just because of all kinds of side reesons and not for the real reason. lets say that I am sitting in a room with no people, no way for my thought etc. to get out. Is there any reason that interest now is better?

Let's get this straight: you're sitting in a room all alone, no way to get out, no way for your thoughts to get out. Is your interest in something moral or hedonistic?

It depends.

Its really ultimately impossible to answer, because whether something is "moral" is open to opinion and judgement, as well as whether something is "hedonistic." In the eye of the beholder. Some say its immoral and hedonistic to abort a fetus, for example. Others claim its hedonistic and immoral to bring unwanted children into the world. So there you go. Any interest could potentially be moral, hedonistic, both, or neither.

moral:
1. Of or concerned with the judgment of the goodness or badness of human action and character: moral scrutiny; a moral quandary.
2. Conforming to standards of what is right or just in behavior; virtuous: a moral life.

Using those definitions, it appears "moral" is usually related to human action. I'd say it could still go either way. You could be interested in something moral or immoral in that room. To me, you can be interested and it be moral, or you can be interested and it be hedonistic. Depends on what your interested in, what your actions are, etc. As Gala says though, if you and your thoughts are forever stuck in that room, its probably ultimately unrelevant.

agrote wrote:
What's this 'unrelevant' word people keep using? Shouldn't it be 'irrelevant'?? Or is that an American word or something?

unrelevant: definition: Unrelated to the matter being considered.

Yep, we done took to usin unrelevant in the USA. Everybody nose "un" means "not," so we figured that makes more sense than "ir." Unrelevant= not relevant. Git it? Good. What is this irrelevant word you talkin bout? Is that Japanese or something? Very Happy

We'll be lobbying the UN to put unrelevant in the Oxford next year. Yes, there is opposition but since when do we need approval.

Don't git all uppity with yer language police, otherwise george dubya will drop a nucular bomb on ya. And no matter how you spell it, that cain't be good. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 09:47 pm
extra medium wrote:
agrote wrote:
.........Don't git all uppity with yer language police, otherwise george dubya will drop a nucular bomb on ya. And no matter how you spell it, that cain't be good. Twisted Evil

Even in "America," (the United States of), in any language, george dubya is irrelevant!
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 10:04 pm
BoGoWo wrote:
Even in "America," (the United States of), in any language, george dubya is irrelevant!

Very Happy Where you at? Are you in a Blue state or a Red state? I'll show ya the meaning of unrelevant! Twisted Evil
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 10:13 pm
Aha; i exist in a seperate "state" of 'relevance';

I AM CANADIAN!
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 10:13 pm
BoGoWo wrote:

Quite the contrary. Dubya's lies and bad decisions have ruined the United States once respected status around the world and caused the deaths of thousands of people.

Nah, Bush is far from irrelevant. That's why it is imperative that he be defeated this November.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 10:17 pm
BoGoWo wrote:
Aha; i exist in a seperate "state" of 'relevance';

I AM CANADIAN!

Jeez, you don't have to yell. I get so tired of those loud arrogant Canadians. Laughing

Well, maybe you realized you already are unrelevant, then? (bad joke) Very Happy

Oh, well, this explains a lot. Like why your command of the English language appears better than the average American's. (flames from my comrades begin) Very Happy
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 10:21 pm
Er, i'm really sorry for yelling, eh!
0 Replies