10

Windows 10 vs. Windows 8

gollum

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2015 11:01 am
Do you prefer Windows 10 to Windows 8?

Tes yeux noirs

1  
Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2015 11:20 am
Yes. I much prefer Windows 10 to Windows 8 on my desktop PC and on my laptop. Smoother, quicker starting, more useful features.
InfraBlue

1  
Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2015 11:24 am
Windows 8 blows for PCs. Microsoft grafted an OS for mobile phones and tablets with an OS for PCs. It was a horrible failure.

Windows 10 is more PC oriented.
gollum

1  
Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2015 11:30 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue-

Thank you.

OK, though I guess I should have specified that I only have a Desktop that presently has Windows 8. I receive repeated solicitations to switch to Windows 10 for free.
Tes yeux noirs

1  
Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2015 11:43 am
Well, I had a desktop running Windows 7, and a laptop running Windows 8.1, and I like the upgrade. You get 30 days to go back if you don't like it.

1  
Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2015 05:50 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Thanks. That's my situation, but I'm not sure my accounting program is compatible with 10. Sage Software does some strange things to induce one into upgrading - at 200 to 400 a pop, and that's American Dollars.

remforever

2  
Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2015 06:39 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Windows 8. they say win 10 is good but i'm already comfortable with win 8.
pepsiperfect

1  
Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 11:41 am
@remforever,
Windows 9x - VERY stable
Good GUI
The BEST Windows for home use STILL is, 3.11
Just for general IT ...
Particain magic - use different OS for different things !!!
Have multiple OS installed - then boot as appropriate

marilyncheng

0  
Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2016 12:08 am
@gollum,
No i l prefer Windows 10 . I like the features of windows 10.

ulinka

0  
Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2016 12:38 pm
@remforever,
yeah agree, i will stick with windows 8 too

1  
Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2016 04:10 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

Windows 10 is more PC oriented.

I never minded Windows 8. But I concede that most people share your opinion of it.

1  
Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2016 04:38 pm
@gollum,
gollum wrote:

Can't beat the price. And if you decide to upgrade after the free upgrade period has expired, you'll have to pay a little bit (unless by that point there are free upgrades to Windows 11).

On the other hand, upgrades can go wrong. IF you are happy with Windows 8, there is an argument for sticking with what works instead of risking an upgrade nightmare.

On the other other hand, probably most upgrades happen without a hitch. Do you feel lucky?

If you want to know the difference, Windows 10 is "shaped" much more like XP/Vista/7. That page full of squares in Windows 8 that you bring up by mousing to the corner of the screen whenever you want to launch a program, that no longer exists in Windows 10. Instead it is back to the old fashioned Start Menu whenever you want to launch a program.

Windows 10 has a bunch of questionable defaults that send all sorts of your personal data to Microsoft (though probably no worse than Facebook collects), and also settings that automatically connect to all wireless networks without asking. It gives you the opportunity to turn all this off when you are going through the installation process, so it's no problem if you pay attention.

ulinka

0  
Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2016 06:59 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
windows 10 looks more stylish I would say, but as for me windows 8 is easier in use