one work occuring one after

Azah

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2015 04:07 am
"Every day I get up from bed lately. Getting up up from
bed, I go to toilet to take my dump. After returning from toilet, I take my brake fast. Taking breakfast, I
arrange my note books and books to take with me
for going to school. After returning from school, I
go to take bath. After taking bath, I take my lunch.
Taking lunch, I go to bed to take a sleep for short
time."
When you read my sentences stated between
inverted commas, you will find the repetition of
same sentence structure, which may cause a
irritation to listener. Please, suggest me the better
standard.

View best answer, chosen by Azah
Setanta
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2015 05:28 am
@Azah,
Where to begin . . . there is more to object to than simply your repetition of some dubious locutions.

Every day I get up from bed lately.

When native English speakers say "lately," they mean recently in time. So, for example, one might say: "I usually sleep well, but lately i feel tired all the time." Or, "Bill and i have been friends for years, but lately he seems to be avoiding me." If you mean that you arise later than you ought to, just say: "Every day i get up late."

English speakers might say they get out of bed, or they might say they get up (it's understood that that means to arise from bed). They don't say "I get up from bed."

Getting up from bed, I go to the toilet to take my dump. (shudder)

As a point of usage, one does not take his or her dump, one just takes a dump. As a point of propriety, that's vulgar. No one, other than your proctologist, if you have one, is interested in reading about your bowel movements. Since you say "go to the toilet," i'm assuming that you're learning American English. I assure you that none us are interested in the details of your activities. We all know what people do when they go to the toilet.

After returning from the toilet, I take my break fast.

Breakfast is one word, as you subsequent sentence indicates you know. Except in limited and rare locutions, one usually does not "take" a meal. One has a meal, or one eats a meal. ". . . i have breakfast.":

Taking breakfast, I arrange my note books and books to take with me for going to school.

Prepositions in English are difficult for most language learners. You're using top many. Notebooks is one word, just as breakfast is. After this critique, i'm going to re-write your paragraph to show how you might have written it. I'll just say right now that a better locution would be: " . . . to take to school."

After returning from school, I go to take bath.

One would say : " . . . I take a bath." You need the indefinite article in that phrase.

After taking bath, I take my lunch.

Where do you take your lunch, to the park? Once again, native speakers of English have a meal or eat a meal, but rarely, if ever say that they take a meal.

Taking lunch, I go to bed to sleep for short time.

This one really cracks me up (i.e., amuses me). You seem to say that you arise late each morning, but here you say you sleep for A short time. (You need the indefinite article). Considering that lunch is the midday meal, if you're going to bed after lunch, i am surprised that you get up late each morning.

OK, here's how you might write this. First, you could use "then" rather than the locutions you have been using. One of my professors of English when i was at university used to belittle what he called the "and then, and then, and then" style of narrative, with good reason. However, if you have an assignment to describe the course of your day, any English speaker would understand and would not disparage the use of "then." Here's how i might write this, assuming that you DO NOT go to bed immediately after lunch, and assuming that you mean that you arise late each morning. (Again, lunch is the midday meal. Americans might say supper or they might say dinner for the evening meal. I believe i am correct in saying that the English refer to their midday or early afternoon meal as dinner. I don't know of any Americans who use the word that way. For Americans [at least most of them] dinner is the evening meal, used interchangeably with supper.)

Every day, i get up late. Then i go to the toilet. I then have breakfast. Then i arrange my books and notebooks which i will take to school. After i return from school, i take a bath. Then i have my supper. (Alternatively, "Then i have my dinner.") After dinner, i go to bed, but only sleep for a short time.

A final note. As it happens, i don't capitalize "i" unless it comes at the beginning of a sentence. That is not standard English usage, however. Whenever you write "i" as the first person singular pronoun, you should capitalize it. It appears that you understand this.
Azah

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2015 10:35 am
@Setanta,
You have done a lot for me. I am really grateful to you.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2015 08:25 pm
You're welcome, and i appreciate your courtesy.
0 Replies