Does "to be turned into an institution" mean "to be involved in a political organism"?

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 09:11 pm

Context:

He was awarded the 1964 Nobel Prize in Literature but refused it, saying that he always declined official honours and that "a writer should not allow himself to be turned into an institution".[3] According to Nobel committee member Lars Gyllensten,[4] Sartre asked for the $53,000[5] prize money later on but was turned down.[6]

MOre:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Paul_Sartre#cite_ref-6
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 888 • Replies: 12
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 12:01 am
You've already asked this question here.
oristarA

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 12:08 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

You've already asked this question here.

That's it. Google is powerful and is blocked here (I have had to use bing.com to search the thread and failed).
Plus, the question was not fully solved then. Because a clear picture of the meaning of "turned into" doesn't show itself for me.
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 01:22 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
the meaning of "turned into"

If something or someone is 'turned into' something else it is transformed. The football field was turned into a lake by the heavy rain. My mother was turned into a communist by reading Das Kapital.
oristarA

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 02:20 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Tes yeux noirs wrote:

Quote:
the meaning of "turned into"

If something or someone is 'turned into' something else it is transformed. The football field was turned into a lake by the heavy rain. My mother was turned into a communist by reading Das Kapital.

So "a writer should not allow himself to be turned into an institution" means "a writer should not allow himself to become a part of an established pattern of a culture"?
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 02:40 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
So "a writer should not allow himself to be turned into an institution" means "a writer should not allow himself to become a part of an established pattern of a culture"?

Yes. It means exactly that. Sartre is famous for taking that position.

oristarA

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 05:43 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Tes yeux noirs wrote:

Quote:

Yes. It means exactly that. Sartre is famous for taking that position.

Excellent.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 05:47 am
I had a girlfriend once't who had an incredibly loud and athletic organism. I really didn't know what to do.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 06:21 am
Who would like to answer this:
Does "human beings have no essence" mean "human beings have no soul"?

Context:

Sartre's primary idea is that people, as humans, are "condemned to be free".[54] This theory relies upon his position that there is no creator, and is illustrated using the example of the paper cutter. Sartre says that if one considered a paper cutter, one would assume that the creator would have had a plan for it: an essence. Sartre said that human beings have no essence before their existence because there is no Creator. Thus: "existence precedes essence".[55] This forms the basis for his assertion that since one cannot explain one's own actions and behaviour by referencing any specific human nature, they are necessarily fully responsible for those actions. "We are left alone, without excuse." "We can act without being determined by our past which is always separated from us."[56]
oristarA

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 10:04 am
@oristarA,
Full context is here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Paul_Sartre#Thought
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 12:24 pm
I think by essence he means intended purpose, inherent nature, inherent purpose, etc, concepts which are n0nsense unless you accept the notion of a "creator". The "soul" in Judaeo-Christian terms is an intangible part of a person that survives death.
oristarA

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 12:41 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Thank you Tes.
Does "by referencing any specific human nature" in that context mean "by (completely) understanding any specific human nature"?
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 01:39 pm
@oristarA,
No. It means that there is no specific human nature to refer to.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Does "to be turned into an institution" mean "to be involved in a political organism"?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 08:52:43