Is this true?

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 07:15 am
Quote:
During sexual stimulation the parts of the brain that process fear anxiety and behavioral control all relax. At the point of climax those areas effectively shut off. Creating a momentary disconnect from all fear and anxiety and the induction of euphoric feelings.

I have no idea where this quote came from. I just found it in my notes on my phone. Apparently it effected me the first time I read it... but not enough to ask any questions about it. So now, I guess, I would like to know. Is this true?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,023 • Replies: 11
No top replies

timur

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 07:28 am
It sure is.

That's why the French call it "the little death".

Check here
onevoice

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 07:14 pm
@timur,
The little death... Huh... Interesting. Do you think a person can be permanently damaged emotionally to not ever be able to achieve that momentary death to fear and anxiety? I honestly think I may be damaged beyond repair. God. I honestly can't even wrap my brain around the possibility of being free like that for even a moment... Outside of death... Gosh... That would be nice... Lol
0 Replies

timur

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 10:32 am
onevoice wrote:
I honestly think I may be damaged beyond repair. God.

Note the juxtaposition of the two sentences.

The latter may be the cause of the former.

Now, if you ask me, I don't think that anyone can be irremediably damaged in such matters.

If you cannot self repair, ask for counseling.

Americans in general are control freaks.

You don't need to be one.

Just let go, when the occasion arises.

I can also advise a nice book about someone that was originally like you and then learned how to let go..
Leadfoot

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 10:59 am
@onevoice,
You can add pain to the list of brain centers that get shut down. I looked forward to an orgasm every day for 3 months while lying in a hospital bed in pain that morphine could not relieve. I wasn't the least bit sexually stimulated but those moments of freedom from pain were like dying and going to heaven.
0 Replies

MadM

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2015 12:14 pm
@onevoice,
wow, I have never heard about it before
0 Replies

onevoice

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2015 06:41 pm
@timur,
Geez Timur, I apologize for the delay in responding to your response. I honestly didn't think anyone was taking me serious here so I hadn't even glanced to see if anyone responded. It is disturbing to me... this thought of being damaged beyond repair. But it has been nothing more than a struggle through the years... to even try to understand, let alone comprehend, how others get to experience this whole "sex thing". I fear some days I won't ever get to know what it's like. Uninhibited.

You said "self repair". That is the story of my life, this whole self repair business. I have never been able to afford to go to counseling. The bits I have had over the years has been because it was free or the company I worked for paid for it. Oh, I have desperately wanted counseling 100's of times over the years. Believe me. Only to be left in a lonely heep of helplessness because I wasn't educated enough to get a job that paid good enough for me to afford the counseling I needed. And there is so much judgement around that in my society. It's my own fault, right? That's what society tells me. No matter how bad I wanted help, somehow it's always been my fault I couldn't afford it.

It angers me honestly.

But that's neither here nor there. The fact of the matter is that there is no button on my "mother board" that says, "Let go when the occasion arises." No button at all, I promise I have looked. Mine says, "Oh my God I don't like this, stop right now." Even though physically I may like what's happening... Emotionally there is an emergency shut off valve that just activates on it's own. Dear God I am not trying to get too personal here. It's just frustrating, and what... shall I wait another four or five years until I could possibly afford counseling to figure this out? So, I will... figure this out on my own... as always... no worries... I just found it fascinating that this... THIS... is the possibility I am facing...

Might be worth letting a few more of the emotional bags go for... Heh...
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2015 09:52 pm
@onevoice,
Do you feel safe in the world?
onevoice

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2015 10:03 pm
@Glennn,
Um no.
0 Replies

timur

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2016 06:52 am
onevoice wrote:
I wasn't educated enough to get a job that paid good enough for me to afford the counseling I needed. And there is so much judgement around that in my society. It's my own fault, right? That's what society tells me. No matter how bad I wanted help, somehow it's always been my fault I couldn't afford it.

I honestly didn't think of that given the way you express yourself.

I believe one can "self repair" provide one can do it step by step and be assured of the progress already made.

You can read books that treat the subject at hand and start slowly.

First step is to assess your situation and, apparently, you already did so.

Now, you can start reading :

Quote:
In the assigned reading, “Dilemmas of the Self,” Giddens examines four seemingly contradictory aspects of contemporary modern society. Each of these dilemmas can lead to pathological results for an individual; at the same time, each dilemma opens new possibilities and opportunities for an individual, possibilities that can be creative and produce a better life.

Leadfoot

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2016 07:56 am
@timur,
Quote:
Each of these dilemmas can lead to pathological results for an individual; at the same time, each dilemma opens new possibilities and opportunities for an individual, possibilities that can be creative and produce a better life.
That is a jewel of a quote.
timur

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2016 09:21 am
@Leadfoot,
Thank you.
0 Replies