stiffened security at clinics?

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2015 10:34 pm
If used "enhanced security at clinics", will the meaning remain the same?

Context:

Ever since the summer, when an antiabortion group accused Planned Parenthood of illegally selling fetal tissue, threats against the organization had escalated to unprecedented levels, abortion providers say. They stepped up collaboration with the FBI and local police and stiffened security at clinics. But on Friday, their worst fears came true: A man walked into a health center in Colorado Springs and opened fire.

More:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/abortion-rights-groups-political-rhetoric-contributed-to-shooting/2015/11/29/d2fad2c4-96c7-11e5-8917-653b65c809eb_story.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 655 • Replies: 12

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
MontereyJack
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2015 10:35 pm
pretty much.
oristarA

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2015 10:49 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

pretty much.

Thanks.
Is there a nuance between?
MontereyJack

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 12:17 am
@oristarA,
probably. There's always a nuance, but damned if I can think of one here. Could also be "stepped-up", "increased", "enhanced", "tightened", "more rigorous",.....
oristarA

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 12:41 am
@MontereyJack,

Thanks.

Would any one like to explain what the word "foil" means here:
(I've checked Oxford dictionary online and failed to find a suitable one)
Quote:
Police have not yet identified a clear motive for the shooting, which killed a police officer, Garrett Swasey, and two other people and left more than six injured. But the suspect, identified as Robert Lewis Dear Jr., attacked a clinic run by Planned Parenthood, a longtime foil of antiabortion activists that has been under heightened scrutiny in recent months. During his arrest, Dear referred to “baby parts,” a law enforcement official said.
FBM

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 01:03 am
@oristarA,
someone or something that serves as a contrast to another <acted as a foil for a comedian>

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/foil
McTag

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 05:50 am
@FBM,

That is no doubt so, but I've never seen "foil" ued in quite that way.

"Target" or "enemy" or "adversary" would be more usual here, I feel.
MontereyJack

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 05:59 am
@McTag,
It's kind of like "whipping boy", something you can focus all your ntagonism on and attack endlesslynwhether or not that antagonism is justified and a majority of people think it is NOT justified agaiinst PP'
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 06:24 am
@McTag,
It's not very common, but authors work it in from time to time. I had to dig deep to chase it down. I vaguely recall it popping up in Shakespeare somewhere. McBeth, maybe?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 06:37 am
@FBM,
'foil' in literature
FBM

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 06:43 am
@Walter Hinteler,
There ya go.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 06:54 am
if only there'd been a bit of security around the stiffening in the first place, there'd be less visits to Planned Parenthood
FBM

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 07:20 am
@djjd62,
Laughing Well, that about wraps it up.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » stiffened security at clinics?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 01:48:38