Foot Locker Scholarship

Sat 28 Nov, 2015 11:16 pm
Describe a defining moment in your life that has helped to shape your dreams and plans for the future. (Be sure to lay out your academic/career goals and identify any challenges you’ve faced or are currently facing and how they have shaped your aspirations).

PLEASE TELL ME WHAT I SHOULD EDIT OR KEEP. THANK YOU

Since I am the oldest of my siblings, my parents would always expect more from me than my siblings. Although they value education they didn’t know how to help me succeed in school;unfortunately, both of my parents stopped going to school in second grade because of family problems in Mexico. What would motivate me to do my best in school is my parent’s life struggles and when I would see them coming home from working in the strawberry fields looking beat up, sweaty and really tired.
Although, I did good in school academic wise my first three years were not filled with extracurricular activities because I was not informed of how important extracurricular activities were toward scholarships and colleges. It wasn’t until I took the initiative to talk to my counselor about taking a college class that everything changed. I asked her If I could take a college course because I wanted to experience how it feels to take one. She gave me a list of college courses and I chose the subject that grabbed my attention as soon as I saw it -- Psychology.
I had a pre-research paper due by the third day of the first week of class and I had no idea of how to start it. It took me a lot of work to get it done but The course was challenging but it lead me to develop more as a person and a student. I started taking advantage of my resources like using the computers at the library, getting help from tutors in assignments, working together with my classmates and seeking help from my professor during her office hours.
I also developed and improved drastically a skill which I possess which is hard work. Every day after class, I would stay an extra 2 to 4 hours at my local library, studying. After that, I would go home,eat and then continue to study for about one or two more hours. I developed a passion not only for my education, but also for helping others. I signed up for two additional college classes and also helped my younger brother sign up for a college class too. When high school started, I talked to my friends about it and I am currently on the process to help them sign up for college classes. As for me, I’m going to take 11 units next semester in college.
My experience of taking that Psychology class helped me discover my desire to become a counselor and give others the help that I always wished I had received earlier in my high school years. Now, I’m guiding my younger brothers on the steps to take in order to get admitted into a 4-year college. My passion for succeeding and learning can be shown through all the extra activities I’m doing now other than just attending school. This experience is what makes me the helpful, hardworking and self-motivated person that I am now.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 887 • Replies: 2
Topic Closed
No top replies

jespah

Sun 29 Nov, 2015 09:57 am
@danny193,
Your essay and is interesting and pretty compelling but your English has some issues. E. g. you didn't "do good" in school; you did well.

I highly recommend Grammar Girl. http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/grammar-girl

That will explain a lot of your issues and give you the reasons why you need to fix something or other.

I also recommend tightening up your prose. Your description of asking your advisor about a college class could be shorter and it would read better. That is, you asked because you wanted to know what the collegiate experience would be like, you decided on psychology, and you did well in it, particularly after you buckled down and utilized the resources at your disposal (the library, etc.).

Best of luck to you.
danny193

Sun 29 Nov, 2015 12:56 pm
@jespah,
Thank you! @jespah
0 Replies