Hannibal and The Punic Wars

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 09:47 pm
This will be my first post at this site; it looks to be quite a place for people and their opinions.

I saw the post by the person asking about what North America would be like if the Romans had discovered it. I'm always interested in what an alternative history might reveal. With that in mind, anyone have any opinions about this:

What would the world look like today if Hannibal would have attacked Rome after his success at the Battle of Cannae? From what I have studied about Hannibal, his failure to press Rome after this victory is what led to the eventual defeat of his army, as the Roman were able to eventually regroup (although this took years).

I have heard that this is one of the few points in recorded history where events turned on the actions of a single person. If Hannibal would have been able to conquer Rome, a Carthaginian influence would still be felt today.

Any Hannibal fans out there?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,583 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Adrian

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 09:59 pm
He was a long march from Rome.

Rome was a VERY formidable target for anyone. (psycholgically)

He had no siege engines.

He still didn't have a decent port through which he could resupply.

Welcome ALV. I not really known for my long answers but I'm sure someone will turn up and embelish.
0 Replies

meangreen

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 01:49 am
This is my first post as well, and yes Im a Hannibal fan. But if Hannibal had attacked Rome he probably would have had tons of casualties so I imagine he would have laid seige instead. Either way, if Hannibal somehow sacked Rome, then Rome would have recovered. If Hannibal conquered Rome, and made it part of the Carthaginian empire then maybe Western Civ would not be with us today..
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 02:05 am
Welcome, meangreen and A Lone Voice, to A2K!

I've always troubles with these "what happened if and when .."-history fictions.

Too many unknown possibilties and unpredictable interrelations, I think.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 02:49 am
I am a civil man, and hate wars. However I can say from my experience of history reading that it can be true that "his failure to press Rome after this victory is what led to the eventual defeat of his army."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 04:32 am
Hannibal was in no position to press a seige on any city in the Italian penninsula, hence Fabius Maximus' policy of avoiding open battle and withdrawing the population and troops of any area in which Hannibal operated into the cities. Adrian's short answer is as good as any long post on the subject.

Carthage was never more than a great city surrounded by a district in the countryside which supplied some of its means. The Roman Republic, however, could reasonably rely at that time on the loyalties of almost all of the Italo-Tuscan peoples of the Italian penninsula. Carthage employed mercenaries, having insufficient native population to futher its wars. Roman triumph was inevitable. I agree with Walter about the "uselessness" of "what if" history. I usually don't respond to this type of thread, and likely won't in the future.

Adrian has the low-down skinny on this one.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 04:37 am
Elephants would be extinct.
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 10:21 am
Most of the italian allies of Rome remained, contrary to Hannibals expectations, loyal to Rome. Since he couldn't easily bring provisions and the like in through a port, (the Romans controlled the seas) he had to rely on his supplies coming through Spain. He couldn't mount a direct attack against Rome without the necessary siege engines.
Once the Romans managed to beat the Carthaginians in Spain, provisions became sparse. He had to start living from the land, which isn't a good way to make allies.

What would happen if? Actually, I don;t think very much. Perhaps with a strong mercantile state on the african continent as an adversary, Rome may had more problems holding on to Egypt, a great source of income for them.
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 10:55 am
I agree with Setanta, the "what if" questions are good material for fantasy novels, but have little bearing on where we are today.

Hannibal, though a grwat commander, may have had the means to subdue Rome for a shorter period of time, but lacked the manpower and the stamina to effectively occupy the Roman lands. sooner rather than later Rome would have rebelled and the tide would have turned against carthage.

Carthage was a mercantile power, much like the Netherlands were. These nations can raise incidental power, but protracted wars drain their resolve and their resources and lead to their eventual demise as great powers.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 11:04 am
The Netherlands/Carthage analogy is excellent, Paaskynen, good work.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 12:16 pm
You know, btw, what Hannibal said to his troops, when crossing the Alps?

"All the footsore lame ducks and otherwise disabled to the left."

Since that time, history knows the Bavarians.
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 01:56 pm
Hmm... There is truth in what you say, Paaskynen. By the way, does this mean Easter Bunny in finnish?

I'm from the Netherlands, and I'm reasonably well acquainted with it's history. We were indeed a mercantile nation, it wasn't possible for us to field great armies.
I will however, point out that we DID win the war of independence against Spain, in our country known as the 80 year war. Spain was a major power in those days (1568-1648 I believe, but I have a bad memory concerning dates). Nevertheless, we did win our independence. Of course, that may have gone quite differently had not the entirety of Europe been involved in protracted wars in the first half of the seventeenth century.

We were talking about Carthage, however.
Hannibal had great potential as a leader, and was an extremely good tactician and strategist. If he had conquered Rome, he may WELL have been able to sway more of it's former allies. After all, king Phillip of Macedonia became his ally during the second punic war, among several southern italian city states, or so I was led to believe.
If he had been able to create strong partnerships with former Roman allies(Rome after all had done the same thing before), he may well have kept a hold on Rome.
Of course, he could also have elected to raze the city if he felt he couldn't hold on to it. That would have serious consequences for the morale of the legions! I would only like to point out that there are alternatives to your suggestion, Paaskynen.

Naj.
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 02:10 pm
Hmm... So the bavarians came along with Hannibal right? That would be intersting, the Roman empre under the control of the Bavarians... Conspiracy theorists would have a field day with that particular event Wink .
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 02:12 pm
Ask me, just ask me, naj! :wink:
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 05:15 pm
bavarians announce bounty of a hectoliter of spatenbrau for the head of walter. hbg
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 05:17 pm
hbg meaning both hamburger and His Bavarian Greatness... of course ;-)
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 05:18 pm
Oh and btw...
Go right ahead Walter ;-) Make my day Very Happy
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 05:38 pm
najmelliw : right you are ; having been born in the free and hanseatic city of hamburg ( to give it its proper name !), but having also spent some time in bavaria as a teenager i'll have to try and make sure no defamation of either will take place (not an easy job with walter around, i can assure you). hbg ... i guess what the "hamburgers" and the bavarians unites is their love of beer ...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 05:38 pm
I like the idea of elephants drowned in bavarian cream. A little frosting, maybe a chocolate drizzle, dessert for everyone!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 08:12 pm
elephant joke (german/hamburg style) : a sandwichshop in hamburg had a sign : " all kinds of sandwiches; ask for it, we got it !" . a fellow walked in and referring to the sign asked : " i really can have any sandwich i want ? "; "yes", he was assured, "you can have any sandwich you want". so he asked for an elephant sandwich. a fellow went to the back of the shop and emerged a few minutes later, sadly shaking his head. "what's the problem , no elephant ? ", the customer asked. "oh yes, we do have an elephant " , was the reply, "but the cook refuses to slice up an elephant for just one sandwich ". ... kind of cruel towards elephants, i now think, but that's how our juvenile minds worked "in the good old days" . hbg
0 Replies