Was+Had/Am+Has

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2015 07:16 am
Which one's correct? Thanks!

My hope was that they would see that I *was* a serious individual who *had* an interest in business.

My hope was that they would see that I *am* a serious individual who *has* an interest in business.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 245 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2015 07:25 am
@chairoplane,
The context will determine what the best choice is. As a grammar consideration both are usable depending on what the context is.

In a best usage scenario, the advice is to keep it in the active voice...to keep engaging the attention of the reader. Also it is unclear if this event is something that has happened in the past. I may be off-base to suggest the present tense....but....

If you're including this sentence in a job application, I'd suggest the following:
"My hope is that they would see that I am a serious individual who has an interest in business."
chairoplane

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2015 08:31 am
@Ragman,
Thanks for your helpful feedback, Ragman. OK, the full context was a college report in which I was talking about my past work experience. This section read:

'I dressed smartly every day and maintained professional behaviour. My hope was that they would see that I am a serious individual who has a strong interest in business.'

I'm confused because, yes, it's a report on past activity, but it's describing my current traits (serious and businesslike!). It reminds me of the "one-tense back" rule; I wonder if that applies?
Ragman

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2015 08:47 am
@chairoplane,
Keep it in the present tense and active voice - especially because those traits are still true and that is what they want to know.
chairoplane

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2015 11:05 am
@Ragman,
Many thanks! Very Happy
0 Replies