Does "since the introduction of Christianity" refer to "..."?

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2015 12:16 am
Does "since the introduction of Christianity" refer to "since the introduction off Christianity (from some foreign country to the United States)"?
Or it just means "since the establishment of Christianity"?

Context:

I have recently examined all the known superstitions of the world, and I do not find in our particular superstition of Christianity one redeeming feature. They are all alike founded on fables and mythology. Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined and imprisoned. What has been the effect of this coercion? To make one half the world fools and the other half hypocrites; to support roguery and error all over the earth.

-Thomas Jefferson
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 610 • Replies: 6
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
neologist

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2015 01:01 am
@oristarA,
Jefferson specifies "our particular superstition".

As it happens, "our particular superstition" did not come about until the fourth century. In the first century, the teachings and actiivities were more in line with those of the Christ.

Both of these interpretations precede the "introduction" of what is now nominal christianity into the new world.
oristarA

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2015 02:10 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Jefferson specifies "our particular superstition".

As it happens, "our particular superstition" did not come about until the fourth century. In the first century, the teachings and actiivities were more in line with those of the Christ.

Both of these interpretations precede the "introduction" of what is now nominal christianity into the new world.

Thanks.
But I failed to understand you clearly. Did you mean "the introduction" refers to "the introduction (to the United states)"?
InfraBlue
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2015 02:56 am
@oristarA,
He's referring to the establishment of Christianity in the world.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2015 03:53 am
Neologist is peddling his particular view of the superstition. The introduction of Christianity has nothing to do with dogma. Christianity began to spread in the middle east at the end of the first century of the common era. Neologist's theological preferences have nothing to do with it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2015 04:12 am
Excuse me, have an error there--this superstition began to spread in the middle east in the middle of the first century.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2015 02:05 pm
@oristarA,
Chrristianity became a state sponsored religion in the time of Constantine. The result was a set of beliefs and practices quite different from that of first century believers.

I should have stipulated that applying the phrase "our current superstition" to the fourth century is only my opinion, hence subject to correction as noted above.
0 Replies