Trying To Recall The Name Of A Movie

Chumly

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2015 12:00 am
Hello A2K'ers,

It is a true story (well likely somewhat Hollywood-izd) about an American financier / industrialist (I think?) that gets involved (more by chance than intent) in a Middle East conflict, and the most pertinent part (for me at least) was at the end of the movie, when he attempts to convince a number of US politicians that sponsoring education in the Middle East is a better bet than supplying weaponry, but he can raise no money nor garner much interest, unless the sale of weapons or oil is involved.

In the movie (and I would imagine in real life) he likes hot women, hot tubs, cigars, and booze etc. and I seem to recall it was reasonably well received and won some awards and stuff. It was made in the last 20 years-ish and I don't recall any really popular movie stars playing any major parts.

I also recall that a right wing Christian women with political ties plays a pivotal role in bringing about some of the twists in the plot, and that they make an unlikely but engaging alliance.

Ring any bells?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 986 • Replies: 7
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2015 06:54 am
@Chumly,
Charlie Wilson's War

An incredibly excellent film, one of my favorites.
Chumly

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2015 07:43 pm
@rosborne979,
There you go, thanks a bunch man, and I agree a superlative movie! I do not watch much video any more (I'd rather play guitar and life is short) but that one I truly want to see again.
rosborne979

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2015 07:32 am
@Chumly,
The dialog between Phillip Hoffman and Tom Hanks is worth listening to over and over again. I especially loved the scene where Gus and Charlie first meet and Gus bugs the scotch bottle.
InfraBlue

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2015 11:30 am
@Chumly,
Chumly wrote:
It was made in the last 20 years-ish and I don't recall any really popular movie stars playing any major parts.

Tom Hanks, Philip Hoffman, Julia Roberts are all very popular movie actors.
Chumly

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2015 12:50 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
Chumly wrote:
It was made in the last 20 years-ish and I don't recall any really popular movie stars playing any major parts.
Tom Hanks, Philip Hoffman, Julia Roberts are all very popular movie actors.
Well yes, there is a difference between what one can recall at some point in time, and the actual circumstances. Perhaps in this case, it was because each of the actors played their parts to an integrated whole, thus none stood out for me (memory-wise).
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2015 12:57 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:
The dialog between Phillip Hoffman and Tom Hanks is worth listening to over and over again. I especially loved the scene where Gus and Charlie first meet and Gus bugs the scotch bottle.
I will do that!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2015 12:59 pm
That motion picture was set in Afghanistan, not the middle east. What the movie doesn't tell you is that the CIA set up bin Laden and Al Qaeda to deliver the Stinger missiles to the Afghan jihadis.

I agree with Roswell, though--it was an excellent picture.
0 Replies