How has Einstein impacted our daily lives?

Ray C

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2015 10:08 am
For example, the inventors of the transistor have drastically impacted our daily lives. What contributions has Einstein made that have impacted our daily lives? And, not to be a drag here, but saying that Einstein “changed the way we think about science” doesn’t really count in my book, because the vast lot of people don’t “think about science.” I’m talkin’ daily life stuff here: cars, computers, birth control pills, etc.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,298 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2015 10:27 am
@Ray C,
What are your thoughts about it?

Obviously with his work in advanced theoretical math and his theory on physics (and proof) led to the nuclear age and atomic bombs. Is that what you mean?

If you're looking for info on Albert Einstein and his work in Physics and advance math theory, you can read it at this link in Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein

"He was visiting the United States when Adolf Hitler came to power in 1933 and, being Jewish, did not go back to Germany, where he had been a professor at the Berlin Academy of Sciences. He settled in the U.S., becoming an American citizen in 1940.[11] On the eve of World War II, he endorsed a letter to President Franklin D. Roosevelt alerting him to the potential development of "extremely powerful bombs of a new type" and recommending that the U.S. begin similar research. This eventually led to what would become the Manhattan Project. Einstein supported defending the Allied forces, but largely denounced the idea of using the newly discovered nuclear fission as a weapon. Later, with the British philosopher Bertrand Russell, Einstein signed the Russell–Einstein Manifesto, which highlighted the danger of nuclear weapons. Einstein was affiliated with the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, New Jersey, until his death in 1955."

farmerman

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2015 10:30 am
@Ragman,
he did a lot for hair styling for men
Ragman

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2015 10:34 am
@farmerman,
He was an icon for the absent-minded professor. He was often seen secretly reading Hollywood movie magazines like Variety while hidden by his physics book.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2015 12:28 pm
@Ray C,
Relativistic corrections with respect to satellite orbits are required to allow GPS to work.
rosborne979

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2015 07:31 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:
Relativistic corrections with respect to satellite orbits are required to allow GPS to work.

Fresco's got it. Geolocation devices are probably the most common direct impactor of relativity on our daily lives.
0 Replies

Ray C

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2015 07:56 pm
@Ragman,
Hmmmm. I don’t yet feel competent enough on this issue to have any firm thoughts. I guess I have this suspicion that there are far-less-known scientists and innovators who have contributed considerably more to our current-day daily lives.

Fresco has informed us that Einstein contributed something to GPS navigation.

And you’re telling me that Einstein (presumably with his E = MCsq. equation ?) had a bigtime role in atomic warfare and the Cold War era threat of nuclear annihilation.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2015 08:26 pm
@Ray C,
Einstein won his nobel prize for his work on the Photoelectric Effect. This was the foundation of modern quantum physics which ironically he then struggled to accept, but he did have one of the critical inspirations on the nature of light that lead to the theory. This is the basis of modern semiconductors which you are using right now to read this message.

Computers could not be as cheap, fast or as powerful today without the work of Einstein. Einstein had a key part in developing the technology that you are using right now.
0 Replies