What is Morality? Is it Real?

Tuna

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 08:16 am
@layman,
Quote:
A prominent psychologist was once asked if there was any act so despicable, so disgusting, so horrible that the average guy would just NEVER do it.

He said: "No, I don't think there is--as long as his peers approved of it, encouraged it, and praised him for it."

What's that tellya about morality, eh?

And yet I can read the Epic of Gilgamesh and discover that I have moral common ground with people 5000 years ago. What does that say?

Quote:
That's why those muslims give the highest praise and honors (not to mention promises of supernatural rewards) to suicide bombers--"martyrs," they call them.
People who praise teenagers for committing suicide are crazy.
Tuna

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 08:17 am
@layman,
Quote:
Well, if it aint wrong, then it aint murder, cancha see? So we're back where you started.

Yea. I see what you're saying.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 06:19 pm
@Tuna,
Quote:
People who praise teenagers for committing suicide are crazy

Ya done clean forgot the moral of your own damn video already, eh, Tuna? Them foke aint wack, they evil.
neologist

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 07:42 pm
There are many in this world, a majority, I think, whose inner voice teaches them to eschew murder, theft, and rape. They live their lives more or less according to the "golden rule". Nearly every man treats his children well.

Exceptions mount, however, when political, religious, economic, and racial considerations intervene. What's that about?
layman

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 07:47 pm
@neologist,
Exceptions mount, however, when political, religious, economic, and racial considerations intervene. What's that about?

I think good old Howlin Wolf done explained part of that, eh, Neo?

Quote:
When ya aint got no money, can't play your house rent, aint got no food to eat, you got the blues. Cause then you're thinkin evil. When you're thinkin evil, you got the blues. (Howlin Wolf)

0 Replies

Tuna

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 07:59 pm
@layman,
Quote:
Ya done clean forgot the moral of your own damn video already, eh, Tuna? Them foke aint wack, they evil.

They're crazy evil. Unlike this guy, who is about to be executed:

layman

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 08:08 pm
@Tuna,
Howlin Wolf, he ROCKS, eh!?
Tuna

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 08:20 pm
@layman,
Hell yea!
0 Replies

layman

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2015 05:06 am
There's an ancient ethical system that I came across years back that is quite compelling. It is highly refined; constructed with impeccable logic; and imbued with practical appeal. I immediately signed on, as soon as I discovered it.

It's called hedonism.
layman

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2015 05:12 am
@layman,
I hauled out the dictionary and looked it up so that I could explain it right. Yeah, this is it, sho nuff, right here:

Quote:
noun: hedonism

1. the ethical theory that pleasure (in the sense of the satisfaction of desires) is the highest good and proper aim of human life.

2. the pursuit of pleasure; sensual self-indulgence.

synonyms: self-indulgence, pleasure-seeking, self-gratification, lotus-eating, sybaritism; intemperance, immoderation, extravagance, luxury, high living

neologist

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2015 07:38 pm
@layman,
So how does that fit in with the rights of others?
Would that be "enliightened hedonism"?
layman

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2015 11:14 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
So how does that fit in with the rights of others?
Would that be "enliightened hedonism"?

Well, Neo, I think the idea is that if ya end up doin somebody wrong, then ya apologize:

Quote:
“APOLOGIZE, v.t.: To lay the foundation for a future offense.” (Ambrose Bierce)
0 Replies