US-American view on refugees

Lash

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2016 07:21 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
It seems unusual to me. I've never heard of mass public "gropings." I guess it must happen in the US, but I haven't heard of it.

The migrants' behavior doesn't seem quite so foreign now.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2016 08:30 pm
http://www.cbc.ca/news/trending/hoax-map-germany-refugees-1.3444503

Quote:
A German website called Hoax Map is debunking false rumours about refugees throughout Germany and Austria, many of which range from the absurd to the disturbing.

Among the rumours debunked are accusations that a Muslim threw a toilet out of a window because an unbeliever sat on it, and that refugees have been eating all the vanishing swans from a German lake.

The accusations do get much darker, however, including dozens of false claims of sexual assault.

Germany took in 1.1 million registered asylum seekers in 2015, and with their arrival came lots of rumour-mongering on social media.

Hoax Map takes in these stories and counters them with official reports from reputable news outlets, the police or local government sources.

Where there's an allegation, there's a corresponding dot on the map to represent it.

Karolin Schwarz, 30, began the project with her friend Lutz Helm, 35, in Leipzig, Germany. They built the website because they were tired of seeing these allegations spread online – especially since many were being repeated despite the fact that they'd been clarified elsewhere.

The team wanted a resource that people could use to respond to errant claims and to collect information on stories that had already been disproved.

"I wanted to find some kind of way to gather all of this information, and what is happening. Maybe make a place that you can find if there's some truth to these stories or not," Schwarz told CBC News.

Some of the rumours derived from partially true stories taken out of context, though the website points out that many of them are outright lies.

more at the link

___

http://hoaxmap.org/ (if you read German)
saab

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2016 01:36 am
@ehBeth,
Of course there is a lot of false rumours and unfair claims.
Regarding mass grouping it did happen New Year´s Eve. This is a new thing for us Europeans, but does happen in Egypt and I think in nortern Africa too.
saab

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2016 05:05 am
@saab,
Unfortunately it is so easy to manupulate things over internet.
Where was this picture taken?
A refugee camp outside EU?
A housing amongst the poorest in Bulgaria?
A housing buildt by Roman beggers in Stockholm?
http://altid.se/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Tiggare-Stockholm.jpg
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2016 05:23 am
It's from an article on "beggars" in Sweden. By Roman i suspect you mean Roma, which is how it is said in English.
saab

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2016 05:33 am
@Setanta,
Correct
It does not exist any more.
I can´t remember that I ever saw a Swede beg. Now there are about 4.700 foreign beggers in Sweden.
And they are not refugees. They do not beg as far as I know.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2016 07:23 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
By Roman i suspect you mean Roma, which is how it is said in English.
I'm not sure if they are Roma, but they are Romanian. (Roma are the second highest minority in Romania, but still just 3.3% of the total population.)

There are between 50,000 and 100,000 Roma in Sweden.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2016 07:27 am
In Sweden we say - or should say - Romer for what we ealier called gypsies.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2016 07:38 am
Roma is the term usually used in the United States, at least by those conscious of the possibility that the term gypsy is insulting. That term is rather interesting. The English of long ago called the travelers Egyptians, because Egypt was the most far away and exotic place they knew of. Egyptian got shortened to gypsy. Calling them Egyptians lasted into the early 18th century.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2016 08:19 am
@Setanta,
When the first Roma came to Germany about 1400, they were called Secanen(at least in documents from Magdeburg, Hamburg, Lübeck, Wismar, and Rostock), sechanos se nuncupantes in Latin (and in German nomeden sik de Secanen).

Later, they were called as well with the Greek term "athinganoi" ("pariah") or "Egytians".

They called themselves either Roma (mainly in Eastern Europe), Sinti im Central/Western Europe, Manouches in France), and Calé in Spain.

Since 1871, Sinti and Roma got the German nationality every in the German Reich (before, just a few German states allowed them to get the resp. nationality).

200.000 to 500,000 Roma were deliberately killed or died through starvation or lack of medical attention during the Holocaust (Porajmos in Romani). That's between 25% and 50% of all Roma of that time!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2016 12:34 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
I've never heard of mass public "gropings."
That was one topic among others (25% of abuse to females is done by their partners) of today's "One Billion Rising" here in Germany, in about 600 cities and towns
http://i65.tinypic.com/35am6pd.jpg

In my hometown, children of refugees and asylum seekers (as well as their mothers) took part as well
http://i63.tinypic.com/2ry5zwk.jpg
ossobuco

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2016 07:57 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Thanks for all this info, Walter. Keep it up as you can.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2016 12:20 pm
@ossobuco,
Three of the 58 suspects arrested in connection with the New Year's attack in Cologne were refugees from Iraq or Syria.
This led to the recent front cover ...
http://i63.tinypic.com/35ibtvs.jpg
...of the right-wing Polish weekly magazine wSieci (The Network)

Quote:
Twitter users have compared the images with fascist propaganda in Nazi Germany and Mussolini’s Italy, which used images of women being attacked by Jewish and North African men.

n the cover article, writer Aleksandra Rybinska states that issues with migration are the result of an unavoidable clash of civilisations between Islam and Christianity.

He believes that whilst Muslims are actively promoting this war, Europeans are engineering their own downfall by ignoring the negative impacts of multiculturalism.

Quoting historian Arnold Toynbee, he writes: “Civilisations die from suicide, not by murder”.

Other articles in the magazine include “Does Europe Want to Commit Suicide” and “The Hell of Europe”.

The news comes after Poland’s government - alongside Czech Republic, Hungary and Slovakia - stated that they will support Balkan countries to seal their borders with Greece in order to stem the flow of migrants and refugees.

wSieci has a track record of controversial front covers, one depicting Angela Merkel as Mother Theresa and another portraying their then Prime Minister Ewa Kopacz wearing a burqa and carrying bombs.
Source
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2016 01:17 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Today, the Federal Criminal Police Office (BKA) published a situational 'Crime in the context of immigration' report for 2015 (excluding New Year's Eve):
the number of crimes by immigrants increased in comparison over 2014 to 2015 by 79 per cent, the number of refugees/asylum seekers at the same time rose, however, by 440 percent. Notably, asylum seekers from countries like Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan were substantially more law-abiding than those from the Balkan countries. (Syrians are officially listed as making up the bulk of asylum seekers - 48 percent - with them being suspected of 24 percent of the crime. Serbs account for two percent of refugees but are suspected of 13 percent of the total number of crimes.)

2/3 of all offences (about 280,000) were 'petty offences' (like using public transport without ticket, theft of food, mobile phones etc).
0.8% were "offences against sexual autonomy" - exactly the same percentage as the last years among Germans.

The BKA's report states:'The vast majority of asylum seekers and refugees commit no crimes'.

[It's a classified report for police and civil servants only - but was leaked to some media.]
0 Replies

saab

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2016 01:57 pm
Of all Norwegians 6.1% are criminal
Of Scandinavians, Westeuropeans and Northamericans living in Norway the criminal rate is below that of Norwegieans.
Of East Europeans 10.4% are criminal
Of Asians 13,6% are criminal
From Central and Southamerica 13.8 are criminal
Of Africans 17.8% are criminal, (Moroccans 18.4% - from Iran 19.4%
Somalia 21.8% There are 17.000 Somalias in Norway and 19.000 from Irac and 23.6% are criminal
African criminals in Sweden amounts to 26.9%
There seems to be a higher rate of criminality amongst migrants in Sweden than in Norway.
For Denmark I did not find so much. There was two regarding rape.
One compared Danes and every one who is not Danish
The other one divided up like in Norway Danes , Westeuropeans, Muslims,
Afticans etc. Then the % came out so different I do not even care about it.

0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2016 03:28 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

http://i68.tinypic.com/2mxl7yd.jpg
Quote:
Gallup's first questions about refugees were asked in January 1939, just a couple of months after the Nov. 9-10 events, which came to be known as Kristallnacht, when Nazi party officials, Hitler Youth and other Germans carried out waves of violence against Jewish synagogues, cemeteries, businesses and Jewish residents in their homes. The events accelerated the attempts of European Jews to flee Germany and proximate countries and to emigrate to nations such as the U.S. The basic question Gallup asked related specifically to refugee children: "It has been proposed that the government permit 10,000 refugee children from Germany to be brought into this country and taken care of in American homes. Do you favor this plan?" A second question asked of a different sample was basically the same as above, but included the phrase "most of them Jewish" and ended with, "should the government permit these children to come in?"

It didn't matter much whether or not the refugee children were identified as Jewish. A clear majority, 67% of Americans, opposed the basic idea, and a lower 61% were opposed in response to the question that included the phrase "most of them Jewish."

Source and full report

It's a good thing Native Americans didn't treat the Pilgrims like the Jews above. Or like Syrian refugees today.
The Pilgrims were refugees, they were leaving a homeland where they were fined, jailed and sometimes even executed for their views. Refugees, who didn't certainly neither looked, sounded nor worshipped like the native inhabitants of America.

Walter, there were neighborhoods in the early 20th century in NYC that had public school readers with one page in English, and the same page in German. The German community had a vision of one day having a bilingual society in the U.S. However, WWI changed that vision, so the German-American community collectively decided to just be Americans, regardless of how many Octoberfests one went to. Anyway, I have to wonder if there was still residual anti-German sentiment amongst many folks only 25 years later, remembering the anti-German propaganda in the WWI recruitment posters (Fight the Hun). Anti-Semitism was only one prejudice in the U.S.

Basically, the U.S. was a WASP club, so to speak, for a long time. More recently, in my observations, being any Protestant confers more sincere friendships between that group, regardless if one comes from one of the earlier "out-group" Protestant denominations.

Today in my opinion, amongst Catholics, Irish and Germans are treated more like Protestants, having been here a long time, and took to Americanism like a duck to water, so to speak.

My opinion only.
saab

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2016 01:54 am
http://www.cruisemapper.com/images/ships/570-large-a86c450b76fb8c371afead6410d55534.jpg
This ship is going to house 1790 refugees in Sweden.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2016 04:50 am
@Foofie,
I know a lady from Minnesota. She went to school around 1900 and Norwegian was first language and English second.
Setanta

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2016 04:56 am
@saab,
I met people in the United States Army in the early 1970s from Minnesota who spoke English with a thick accent, and whose first language was Norwegian. You should never waste your time on Foofie, who knows nothing, and just makes it up as she goes along.
saab

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2016 05:07 am
@Setanta,
Thanks for the tip.
I have met people speaking with Swedish or Norwegian accent in second generation.
I have heard several times that there was a question if German or Englsih should become the language of USA. German speakers lost with one vote.
I could hardly believe it and looked into the matter and found out it was aabout
the state Pennsylvania.
Do not know it is the truth but sounds ok.