Pitter

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2015 06:33 am
I was prompted to download this and did. I'm now quite sorry. I can't find things I'm accustomed to using like the window in lower left with "computer" etc. and it seems to have slowed my connection time to websites. Can you get rid of it once you've downloaded it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 10,377 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2015 07:25 am
@Pitter,
Yes, you can. You do a backup and restore to the point in time before you downloaded Win 10. If you don't know how to do restore, Windows website can advise you. It's not complicated.

A non-techie friend of mine did the same thing and had the same result. He was bogged down heavily as Win 10 sucks up a lot of resources on an older computer with Win 7. He's fine now.

The restoration will allow your computer to be exactly as it was. you might have to re-add your favorites websites, etc. in your browser.

BTW, welcome back to A2K, Pitter.
Pitter

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2015 05:35 pm
@Ragman,
Thanks very much for that Ragman I will give it a try. And thanks for the welcome back.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2015 05:35 pm
I recently had one of those upgrade offers from Sage accounting software. For something like $400.00 I could upgrade to Sage Pro 2016 and it would actually work with Windows 10. This kind of implies that if I don't upgrade within their time limit, my accounting program becomes worthless. Great idea!
Pitter

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2015 05:48 pm
@roger,
So far as I can see the only rational for "upgrades" like Windows 10 is that programers need work.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2015 05:50 pm
@Pitter,
You have 30 days to roll back Window 10.

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/windows-10-how-to-roll-back/
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2015 05:54 pm
I'm not exactly a victim, but somebody that computer upgrades shut down.

I hang onto the internet with an obsolete Mac, which is no longer supported by them, and thus yahoo has shut me way down in almost comedic ways. Oddly, my mac was liked at the time Mac shut the OS down, and I read complaints by some for smart computer reasons. Whatever, I live in no adobeville and weirdo to the max Yahoo.

Yes, I know, upgrade, but some of us can't. Money is scarce, in case that is news.

I bring this up in this thread as in this bunch of posts the people with the old product are needing to get back to that to make their computers work.

This is likely common.
BillRM

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2015 06:02 pm
@ossobuco,
I am still getting updates for my three windows XP machines thanks to a register hack that made microsoft think I am running a point of sale version of XP that they well keep supporting for a number of years yet.
Pitter

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2015 06:08 pm
@BillRM,
BillRm that looks easy as pie. I was moving along until it warned me I would have to reinstall some programs. I have a lot of photography related programs and having to reinstall them will be a great pain. I haven't pulled the trigger.
BillRM

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2015 06:13 pm
@Pitter,
How about backups that you can restore from?

You do know you should do backups every few months as a hard drive can died at any time without warning.

But in any case do keep in mind that there is a 30 limit on going back by way of microsoft.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2015 07:45 am
@Pitter,
I thought you said you had it already installed? Just do a restore if it has gone beyond a certain point. Back up and restore to the point in time just before you attempted this install...if you have gone past the point of no return with the install.

I'm also a photographer and I like how my computer runs and photo-editing apps run now. Having to add new drivers for the new version of Windows is needed and might cripple what was working just fine or grossly slow it down. Don't go there!
Pitter

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2015 08:05 am
@Ragman,
Thanks everyone yes I need to do a back up. Yes I downloaded windows 10 following a prompt.
Pitter

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2015 08:52 am
@Pitter,
Here is a photography dilema I have now encountered with windows 10. I typically down load from two cameras, a Canon and a Sony. I have the Canon EOS Utilities program that opens right up when the camera is connected and sends the photos straight to "My Pictures", no problem. But I don't use a special Sony program. Instead with windows 7 I would just go to "computer" in the lower left hand box, open that and the camera would appear. I would just right click on the camera image and would be given an option to download the images. And they would go straight to "My Pictures". Not no more. I have tried to go to "File Explorer" (as indicated by web advice) with the Sony connected but instead of my camera appearing as the advise says it should I just get a long list of my picture files and no option to download from the camera. Alternatively I connect the camera with out going to File Explorer and a window opens asking me to choose a device with the one that works being "M:/. I follow that and they then appear in a page called "Collection" but they do not appear in "My Pictures". I can fiddle around and move them out of Collection and into My Pictures but that can't be right. Also according to another window My Pictures is selected as the default location but they don't go there they just go to that Collection window. Kind if long, sorry.
0 Replies

pantura

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2015 06:07 pm
thanks for the information
0 Replies