Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2015 01:41 am
I know that "wedding garment" means a wedding dress, however, I am confused since I don't get its another meaning, something like the qualification to a party or something. Looking fowward to your help!

jespah

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2015 06:32 am
@avalipeng,
No, it doesn't mean anything else.

And a native speaker would not use the term 'wedding garment'. We would say 'wedding dress' or 'wedding gown'. The other traditional parts of the typical Western bride's outfit would be called by their names, e. g. 'veil', 'headpiece', 'train', or 'garter'.
avalipeng

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2015 12:10 am
@jespah,
yes, I get your meaning, but according to one book, it means some kind of qualification to get you to a particular party or something. The book didn't specify what kind of qualification or dwell more on this meaning, so I am really confused.
Setanta

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2015 03:33 am
@avalipeng,
If you expect intelligent, helpful replies, you need to provide context. You need to precisely quote your source, because otherwise, no one here will have any idea what you are writing about. You know, it is entirely possible that your source is not a native speaker of English. Seeing the context could help to show that.
jespah

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2015 05:56 am
@avalipeng,
Are you talking about an invitation?
0 Replies

avalipeng

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2015 09:05 pm
@Setanta,
Hi, actually, there is no context. It is a kind of dictionary book teaching Chinese people English idiomatic expressions , the page only has two lines, one is "wedding garment", the other is Chinese, roughly meaning the qualification to some particular party, if translated into English. Since I can't figure out how this meaning come into being, so I searched the Internet, however, I couldn't find anything related to this meaning, so I was desperate and looked for help here.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2015 09:15 pm
@avalipeng,
Some wedding invitations specify the dress code, but no guest would be asked to wear a wedding dress.

https://www.theknot.com/content/wedding-guest-attire-cheat-sheet

Quote:
The invite says: "White Tie"
This is the most formal of all wedding dress codes (think state dinners and the Oscars).

He should wear:
A tuxedo, a long black jacket with tails, a white pique vest, and a bow tie. Black, formal shoes and even white gloves for dancing are appropriate.

She should wear:
A formal, full-length ball gown in a neutral color like dark brown or black. Glamorous makeup and dramatic jewelry and hair are appropriate.

The invite says: "Black Tie"
This is the next most formal wedding dress code and usually means the wedding is an evening affair.

He should wear:
A tuxedo. A black bow tie, cummerbund, and patent leather shoes are also suggested.

She should wear:
A chic cocktail dress or a long evening gown in a dark, neutral color like brown or black. The bride, wedding party, or friends can help answer questions about the appropriate dress length.

The invite says: "Formal" or "Black Tie Optional"
The wording here suggests something slightly less formal than black tie. This means that a tuxedo isn't required but the event is still formal enough for one to be appropriate.

He should wear:
A tuxedo or a formal dark suit and tie.

She should wear:
A long dress, a dressy suit, or a formal cocktail-length dress in a dark, neutral tone like brown, gray, or black.

The invite says: "Beach Formal"
This suggests an elegant beach wedding -- so dress to impress, but also dress for the elements (sun, sand, and water). Anything you'd wear to a nice restaurant on a summer day is appropriate.

He should wear:
A summer suit with a linen shirt (no ties required), linen pants or khakis, and sandals.

She should wear:
A formal summer sundress at tea- or knee-length with flat sandals. Makeup and hair can be natural and everyday.

The invite says: "Semiformal" or "Dressy Casual"
Depending on the time of the event, you'll want to dress somewhere between formal and casual. Wear darker, more formal hues for an evening fete; opt for light colors and fabrics for a daytime wedding.

He should wear:
A suit and tie, dark or light depending on the season and time of day.

She should wear:
A cocktail dress or a dressy skirt and top.

The invite says: "Casual"
Generally, casual means anything goes. That said, jeans, shorts, and tank tops are probably not appropriate unless they're specifically noted as acceptable. For the purposes of wedding wear, assume business casual to be on the safe side.

He should wear:
Dress pants with a button-down shirt or polo.

She should wear:
A summer sundress or a skirt or pants with a nice blouse. Makeup and hair can be natural and everyday.

___

http://www.brides.com/blogs/aisle-say/2014/04/wedding-dress-code-explained.html

http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/228438/wedding-guest-attire/@center/272440/wedding-etiquette-adviser

http://offbeatbride.com/2012/08/wedding-dress-code
0 Replies