Dems & Reps

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2015 12:42 pm
Letter to the Editor of Victorville Ca Daily Press

Open letter to any reader having achieved a real sort of political maturity in spite of early indoctrination:

There’s something profound in Edward Roberts’ short letter, “GOP, Dems and politicians” Nov. 12, “…raging against Republicans and Democrats...ridiculous. Then to attribute the moral high ground to one party or the other is….totally naive,” as with “Left wing radicals" Oct. 27 by Monica Kelly, who asserts, “…Democrats are radical and hate America and want to desecrate it.”

Trouble is, almost all of us are victims of cause and effect. As I maintain in “While Younger” Nov. 5, as kids we’re permanently swung one way or t’other by allegiance to or reaction against our immediate environment, esp. parents and their politics or their values. And as a result, by teenhood we don’t think for ourselves but instead adopt a party line of some sort: If born into persuasion A, we adhere to positions J, K, L, and M; but if B, then we stoutly defend W, X Y, and Z. So to act more rationally as a nation must introduce the kids to the notion of independent thought…

…where, while you might lean to the lib, you nevertheless enjoy plinking in the outback and concede that after all there might be some kind of a God; if con, you nonetheless support gay marriage and, Gosh help you, vote for Barack, laughing at the notion he’s a Muslim Radical. However, as I had speculated in my recent musings, the diehard cons might vigilantly oppose the notion of introducing a youngster to the radical notion of conflicting opinion. Sure, I do tilt a bit to the left...

But still, the few of you still capable of reason, hear my plea, join my cause to let kids think.

Dale Hileman
Apple Valley
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 904 • Replies: 0
No top replies