Did Christ ever advocate violence against non-Christians?

Sbyrd

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 07:57 pm
@ebrown p,
Truthfully, before trying yourself to use "sound bites" of knowledge gained by simply using google to search try to read the whole Bible. The texted you used were from the Old Testament. The New Testament is that of Jesus' life and travels. Some of the book written were written by the same person starting about 60-90 years after the Crusifiction of Jesus. Violence was not condoned by Him. The only act of any type of violence from Jesus Himself was of the flipping of tables within the walls of the temples as it was written for Him to do inthe Old Testament. I hope this helps you see the Lord Jesus Christ a little different than that of the Old Testament, which truly was full of violence.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 09:14 pm
Quote:
Topic title: Did Christ ever advocate violence against non-Christians?

No, he simply said walk away if they won't listen to you and have no more to do with them-
"If any place will not welcome you or listen to you, shake the dust off your feet when you leave, as a testimony against them" (Mark 6:11)

They had their chance..Smile
xXxSERVANTxXx

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 12:49 pm
@nimh,
No, In fact, the opposite. He's walking at one point with the disciples, and one sees a man driving out unclean spirits that is different. And I think it was Peter who told the man to stop. And Christ told Peter to leave him alone. Then said those that are not against are with.

Throughout the entire Bible , Jesus became angry once. When he flipped the table, and whipped men out of the temple with chords. For using it as a marketplace.
0 Replies

Smileyrius

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2014 04:10 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
A question my friend. You have on a number of times explained with great aplomb that God has been leading christian armies against non christian or "heathen" civilisations for centuries

Could this not infringe upon your current statement?
0 Replies

A Citizen

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 12:25 pm
@nimh,
Jesus showed anger when he confronted the money changers who were using the area set aside for gentiles (non descendents of Abraham) to pray in the Temple. He also warned his disciples about the future destruction of the Temple and told them to "buy a sword" as protection against the coming turmoil. But Jesus did not preach violence. He taught Godly love and forgiveness of transgressions for those who repented. It should be noted by those who say Jesus was a pacifist that the New Testament tells us he will return one day to punish the wicked and to bring peace to this troubled world. But New Testament followers of Jesus are not told to kill others in the name of God.
0 Replies

Mohay Rix

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2015 12:32 am
Never once that has been recorded. In Exodus 20:13 it says “You shall not murder." NIV. I am an ordained street preacher/minister.
0 Replies

romanb

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2015 04:17 am
Luke 19:27

"But as for these enemies of mine, who did not want me to reign over them, bring them here and slaughter them before me.’”
0 Replies

romanb

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2015 04:19 am
Matthew 10:34-36

“Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to turn a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law — a man’s enemies will be the members of his own household."
0 Replies

romanb

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2015 04:21 am
John 15:6

"If anyone does not abide in Me, he is thrown away as a branch and dries up; and they gather them, and cast them into the fire and they are burned."
0 Replies

romanb

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2015 04:22 am
Mark 16:16

"Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned."
Smileyrius

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2015 06:11 am
@romanb,
Thank you for sharing Roman, Which of these scriptures do you suggest in context, that Jesus is advocating violence against nonbelievers?
0 Replies

JoshuaVerum

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 04:55 pm
Matthew 44: But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45: so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 05:05 pm
@JoshuaVerum,
If this is true, then why do prominent Christians today, including Ted Cruz, advocating dropping bombs on Middle Eastern cities?

It is like the Christians of today ignore the words of Christ and are hateful, violent, greedy because they feel like it
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 06:25 pm
@maxdancona,
There are good and bad christians as well as in all other religions.
Atheism cries out .......
neologist

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 01:12 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
If this is true, then why do prominent Christians today, including Ted Cruz, advocating dropping bombs on Middle Eastern cities?

It is like the Christians of today ignore the words of Christ and are hateful, violent, greedy because they feel like it
Don't confuse christians with Christians.
0 Replies

Smileyrius

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2015 06:57 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Atheism cries out .......

If only everyone would embrace Atheism, the world would be a more peaceful place eh CI Wink
neologist

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2015 04:12 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
. . . Atheism cries out .......
Quote:
. . .Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. . .
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2015 04:27 pm
@Smileyrius,
Quote:
If only everyone would embrace Atheism, the world would be a more peaceful place eh CI Wink

Only if we kill off the people who don't embrace Atheism.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2015 05:08 pm
@Smileyrius,
All my siblings are christians married to christians. Atheist me married a buddhist.
0 Replies

HectorDLebert

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2016 08:05 pm
@ebrown p,
I was like you in that it broke the Heart to read some parts of the old testament and not feel like it was wrong. It was only a feeling: (1) I am not God or even close to being able to understand him, I take it on Faith that He is most Holy, Most Loving, Most Full of Justice and on I could go but in fact He Is Not Only The Very Attributes that ALL of Mankind Desires to Be, But in Fact I Believe He is the Very Essence of These. (2) Sometimes we do forget we are less in that He Is God! He can do whatever He wants and call it whatever He wants, we are His Creation only. Thank God He Is Like I Said Love Itself, Mercy Itself, Justice Itself,........... and on I could go but lets leave it at Thank God He is Who He is Period. (3) The Leaders of Old were so enamored of Him that to even speak His name was to bring a curse upon you because He is undescribable. In other words He is so Holy we can't imagine even part of Him. (4) I could go on like the Library of Congress but what is the point, NO ONE WOULD EVER GET THE POINT WITHOUT THE FAITH TO UNDERSTAND. Lastly I would like to say that I do understand that a People, Nation, Religion, a Whole Tribe could get to the point where not only the people would need to be chastised but that it would Infect anything and everything around them. That is WHY He would want to totally wipe out them ALL just like when Mankind Fell so Far From GRACE that He Wiped Out the Whole World, The Flood!!! Including All Life on the face of the Earth except what was Saved with Noah. Even then evil raised its head shortly after. So What is Your Reason for Being Judgemental on the Good Lord?
0 Replies