Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2015 08:30 am
In the United States, the much beloved national holiday of Thanksgiving will be celebrated on Thursday, November 26. What will you be watching this Thanksgiving day?

Cultural question. For those not celebrating Thanksgiving in their country that doesn't celebrate the holiday, which movie would be the best to use as an example in this given poll suggestion to indicate that this holiday isn't celebrated in your respective country? Looking for a neutral answer that won't be ... offensive ... so please keep that in mind. Also, keep in mind any given suggestion needs to have any images stored in the image gallery of its respective IMDb movie page.

jespah

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2015 09:40 am
@tsarstepan,
I recall going to an ex's mother's house on Thanksgiving (God, this was, what, 29 years ago?) and the TV was on and they were watching college football game after college football game. Never mind that nearly no one in that family had ever seen the inside of a college. They had no dogs in those particular hunts. It was sports, and it was on, so they watched.

I was appalled. We never, ever put on a television set during Thanksgiving or for Passover seders. You spent time with your family and you just plain didn't do that.

I'll be visiting my folks for the holiday and I'm sure we won't turn on the TV unless the food is all put away and the dishes are in the dishwasher. Knowing my folks, it'll be a rerun of Antiques Roadshow.
George

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2015 09:43 am
@jespah,
Hey, wouldn't Antiques Roadshow: The Musical be great flick?
ehBeth

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2015 09:55 am
@jespah,
Same thing here. We celebrate the harvest in October instead of November, but it's a family day, not a tv/movie day.

Another family of recent immigrants always came to stay with us at Thanksgiving and we'd go apple picking and walking and then the moms would cook a big meal while the dads took us out for more walks. It was all about fresh air and family for us (and fights - Susan (the kid my age) and I fought - all the time - about stupid things like who found the best caterpillar)
maxdancona

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2015 10:29 am
@jespah,
Quote:
We never, ever put on a television set during Thanksgiving or for Passover seders. You spent time with your family and you just plain didn't do that.

Just because football is on doesn't mean you aren't spending time with your family. We spend time with our family watching football.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2015 10:30 am
@tsarstepan,
This isn't a TV show... it is a story/song. But, this is a Thanksgiving staple for our house.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=alice%27s%20restaurant
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2015 11:15 am
@George,
George wrote:

Hey, wouldn't Antiques Roadshow: The Musical be great flick?

Someone get Andrew Lloyd Weber a call and make this happen!
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2015 11:34 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Same thing here. We celebrate the harvest in October instead of November, but it's a family day, not a tv/movie day.

Should I add an option indicating that Canadians celebrate Thanksgiving on a different day and if so, where would I get an image from (movie or television series wise)... basically which Canadian film or TV series is best associated with the Canadian Thanksgiving?

Keep in mind the image I can use has to be hosted in the respective IMDb image gallery.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2015 12:28 pm
Thanksgiving is family/cooking/drinking time...the tv is not on all that much. When it is on we almost certainly will be watching only football.

Come talk to me at Christmas, movies are big then.
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2015 12:45 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
This isn't a TV show... it is a story/song. But, this is a Thanksgiving staple
for our house.

Ah, but it is a movie.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/23/Film_Poster_for_Alice%27s_Restaurant.jpg
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2015 01:04 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

ehBeth wrote:

Should I add an option indicating that Canadians celebrate Thanksgiving on a different day and if so, where would I get an image from (movie or television series wise)... basically which Canadian film or TV series is best associated with the Canadian Thanksgiving?

Keep in mind the image I can use has to be hosted in the respective IMDb image gallery.

Answered my own request by adding:
"The question is moot. We Canucks don't celebrate Thanksgiving in November. Canada rules, eh? ”
http://i65.tinypic.com/2jbwnbc.jpg
Using the following image from Funny People (2009). Seth Rogen is Canadian so... there's that.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2015 02:19 am
@tsarstepan,
I don't know of any countries other than Canada who celebrate Thanksgiving. We used to have Harvest Festival at school around Sept/Oct, but it's not a holiday, usually just a round up for food banks.

Certain films are known to be shown at Christmas, it's almost a cliché. Usually a Bond film, and The Great Escape, that's always on. Then there's The Sound Of Music.

We watch football on Boxing Day, there's usually a clutch of fixtures over Christmas and it usually marks the half way point of the season so people start predicting who the champions will be and who will be relegated.
0 Replies