THE THING IS . . .

ossobuco

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2015 05:06 pm
@layman,
I just caught that, on rereading. Made me smile.

layman

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2015 05:09 pm
@ossobuco,
Kewl, Jo. Glad there's no misunderstanding.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2015 11:19 am
@layman,
layman wrote:
In contrast, I've known people who are unwilling go fight. If they encounter a bully, they will not stand up for themselves and either submit to the abuse or run.

In my experience, neither "solution" ends the torment. On the contrary, it just gets worse and worse. Soon they are not just being subjected to verbal abuse. They're getting slapped around like a bitch. Some still won't fight. And then it gets worse yet.

Unfortunately, for those kind the trouble NEVER ends, unless and until someone steps in and fights for them.

I'm convinced that many of those who are unwilling to fight lack self-confidence. The solution for such an individual is to conduct a self-evaluation (or have a competent clinical psychologist conduct a professional evaluation) in order to discern the reason why he lacks self-confidence. When the individual in question knows why, he will also know what he needs to do to gain self-confidence. Just as sharks are attracted to blood in the water, bullies are often attracted to lack of self-confidence; and I'm not blaming the victim by saying this.

All that said, I certainly agree with you that usually the quickest way to stop bullying is to punch the bully in the face. Frankly, he deserves it. (Of course, I'm referring to kids. I assume adult bullies are likely to sue.)
layman

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2015 11:32 am
@wmwcjr,
Quote:
... bullies are often attracted to lack of self-confidence...

Yeah, I agree. It's usually a case of the extremely weak (psychologically) preying on the "even weaker."
layman

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2015 11:57 am
@layman,
As somebody, probably Shakespeare, once said (paraphrasing): "It is better to die bravely in battle than to die a thousand deaths as a coward."
EMMA390

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2015 09:24 pm
@Setanta,
interesting
0 Replies

layman

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2015 11:46 am
@wmwcjr,
Quote:
I'm convinced that many of those who are unwilling to fight lack self-confidence.

Seneca said:

Quote:
“It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that things are difficult.”
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2015 09:15 pm
@layman,
Quote:
It is better to die bravely in battle than to die a thousand deaths as a coward.

My preference is to die one peaceful painless death, in my late 80s or 90s, surrounded by loved ones.

Dying bravely in battle doesn't appeal to me one bit.
Lash

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2015 09:23 pm
@maxdancona,
Metaphor
0 Replies