kinetic response

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2015 01:52 am
There were no doctrines to go with cyberwar. There was no clear understanding as to whether a cyber-attack, for example, might be used to justify a kinetic response.

What does "kinetic response" mean here?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 560 • Replies: 2
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by PennyChan
puzzledperson
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2015 02:12 am
@PennyChan,
The term "kinetic response" refers to a military response (i.e. physical violence such as bombing).

The word kinetic means "related to or involving motion". It's a silly military euphemism, like "collateral damage" (meaning civilian casualties) which seeks to sanitize and render abstract the horrors of war so as to make them, and the military and foreign policy behind them, more abstract and acceptable to the general population.

These euphemisms are not only silly, they are also poor English. They were "big words" invented by not very literate military types to try to sound impressive while obscuring what they really mean. Unfortunately, the news media (certainly cable television news) has accepted and adopted this language, instead of ridiculing it.
PennyChan

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2015 02:48 am
@puzzledperson,
Thank you so much!
The word really makes me confused!
0 Replies