What does the Bible really teach?

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2015 10:25 am
This is a discussion on why having the correct understanding of Bible texts is important. The text under consideration is Revelation 20:13, 14. Why is death, which is not a living thing but an experience, thrown into the lake of fire since it cannot feel pain or suffer, be tormented or punished? Your thought please.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 3,893 • Replies: 50
No top replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2015 11:12 am
@anthony1312002,
The two passages refer to different things. Passage thirteen refers to realms whereas passage fourteen refers to the personages of Death (Thanatos) and Hades.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2015 11:38 am
@anthony1312002,
It teaches what one supposes another might wish to hear

We treat Porky with the utmost disrespect, a friendly creature with intelligence compared to 3-year-old humanoid; yet as Christians etc keeping him in a muddy pen, then tie him up by the hind legs, cut his throat so he bleeds to death before chopping him up and eating him, whilst chanting, "God bless us"

Suppose he were in charge--what woujld his bible say....
0 Replies

anthony1312002

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2015 11:44 am
@InfraBlue,
You are correct. The focus is on the second of the two subjects, why is death thrown into the lake of fire even though it cannot suffer? What has your research and study revealed?
InfraBlue

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2015 11:50 am
@anthony1312002,
anthony1312002 wrote:

You are correct. The focus is on the second of the two subjects, why is death thrown into the lake of fire even though it cannot suffer? What has your research and study revealed?

I didn't know that Thanatos couldn't suffer. Why can't he suffer, exactly?
anthony1312002

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2015 07:31 am
@InfraBlue,
Death, as we know, is an experience. Something that happens to us due to extreme age, serious illness, or through other means such as a car accident or by some other means.

Since death as it is used in the Bible refers to an experience and not a living being, it cannot be made to suffer.
InfraBlue

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2015 09:55 am
@anthony1312002,
The personifications of Thanatos and Hades--who exist if not live--can be thought of as able to be cast in a lake of fire, though.

The idea of experiences being cast in a lake of fire doesn't make sense.
0 Replies

Gwutzi

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2015 08:56 pm
death simply gets relocated and thereby added with new different properties in this case; the properties of the "lake" of fire
neologist

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2015 09:02 pm
@anthony1312002,
Perhaps it is because it has never been God's purpose for his intelligent creations to die. Once the rebels who brought death are destroyed, death will be no more according to God's will.
neologist

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2015 09:04 pm
@Gwutzi,
Welcome to a2k, Gwutzi.
Interesting handle. Any special meaning to it?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2015 09:23 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:
Perhaps it is because it has never been God's purpose for his intelligent creations to die.

But he's going to kill the vast majority of them.
neologist

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2015 11:33 pm
@InfraBlue,
neologist wrote:
Perhaps it is because it has never been God's purpose for his intelligent creations to die.
InfraBlue wrote:
But he's going to kill the vast majority of them.
None of them have to die.
Setanta

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2015 03:00 am
No, of course they don't have to die--they can just become holy rollers like you, and live for eternity!

Wait . . . is living for eternity supposed to be some kind of blessing? How does that work?
Leadfoot

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2015 11:06 am
The supposition that the lake of fire is about suffering is what causes some of the confusion.

Neo is right about it just being the end of death but obviously if we are to believe the story, it is the end of most of mankind as well. Not suffering, just The End.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2015 11:29 am
@neologist,
By God's own volition, they do.
neologist

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2015 02:12 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
No, of course they don't have to die--they can just become holy rollers like you, and live for eternity!

Wait . . . is living for eternity supposed to be some kind of blessing? How does that work?
We could always choose to decline; but I would prefer to be the one with my hand wrapped around the on/off switch. Of course, that's just me.

BTW, I an neither offended not frightened by your choice to participate in this discussion.
neologist

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2015 02:13 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
You mean your god's volition, right?
Leadfoot

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2015 03:06 pm
@neologist,
Is this Burger King where you get to 'have it your way'?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2015 03:27 pm
@neologist,
You didn't answer my questions.

There is a difference between joining a discussion and trying to flood a thread and thereby take over the discussion. What does or does not offend you is a matter if indifference to me.

Please answer my questions.
InfraBlue

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2015 05:48 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
You mean your god's volition, right?

No. I mean the God described in the Bible as you interpret it.

1. Forums
  2. » What does the Bible really teach?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 01:18:14