Paul Ryan Announces He Won't Work With President

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2015 11:00 am
Ryan announced that he is unwilling to work with the President on immigration because the President is "untrustworthy" on the issue. I assume that for Republicans the President is untrustworthy on every issue, so I take it nothing is going to get down between now and January 2017.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 20 • Views: 6,328 • Replies: 69

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2015 11:12 am
@engineer,
Paul Ryan and unwilling is a redundant sentiment.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2015 11:15 am
@engineer,
Paul Ryan is paying off his debts. He promised to do this as a condition of the right wing supporting his speakership.

He got time with his family out of the deal... who is he to complain.

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2015 11:18 am
I think it is commendable that they will continue to be obstructionists right through the election cycle...rather than caving into political expediency and become sane and concerned for the country.

They tell the American public more about Republican politics than anything anyone from the outside can share...and they are not afraid or ashamed to show themselves to be what they are. They have guts!

I hope they keep it up for as long as possible...and that the American public shows their gratitude by throwing enough of them out to destroy their control on the congress.

Then things can start to move again.
farmerman

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2015 11:30 am
I wonder which orifice his head was up while he gave his swearing in speech. Seems on day 3 hes announcing that he's renouncing what he said last week at the kumbaya session..
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2015 02:33 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Good luck with thinking that a larger portion of the electroiate will recognize that a republican majority is screwing them blind. The media will take care of anyone who thinks for themselves by posting what the 1% pays them to post. Republican good, democrat bad. Its worked in the south since Nixon.
rosborne979

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2015 03:16 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
Paul Ryan Announces He Won't Work With President
Shocker. Who would have expected that. Wink
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2015 03:35 pm
he should be charged with treason, executed on the capital steps and his head should be place on a pole as a warning to others

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2015 04:30 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

he should be charged with treason, executed on the capital steps and his head should be place on a pole as a warning to others

Ahemmmm....a bit drastic, wouldn't you say?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2015 04:30 pm
@RABEL222,
What media do you watch, read or listen to?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2015 04:34 pm
@Frank Apisa,
i've long said this should be the penalty in our house of commons for any MP/MPP who doesn't provide a straightforward answer to a question

of course i've also suggested that every so often following an election every elected official should be summarily executed and their heads place on poles as a warning to others who might seek higher office

sometimes the old ways are the best ways
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2015 04:37 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

i've long said this should be the penalty in our house of commons for any MP/MPP who doesn't provide a straightforward answer to a question

of course i've also suggested that every so often following an election every elected official should be summarily executed and their heads place on poles as a warning to others who might seek higher office

sometimes the old ways are the best ways

You sorta resemble Joffrey Baratheon physically also.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2015 04:39 pm
@engineer,
I don't blame him. Obama is untrustworthy, and Republican voters don't want anything even close to his immigration goals. You guys crack me up. A Republican Speaker who won't work with a Democrat president is obstinate, partisan and anti-American, but switch the parties and the Speaker is someone of principle who is bravely willing to wage the good fight against a tyrant.

Obama has about a year and a half to finish up his "legacy," and Ryan and McConnel should do everything in their power to confound him. Unfortunately he doesn't much care for the Constitution (when it gets in his way) so their best will probably not be good enough and y'all will be cheering him along with every trampling step.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2015 04:42 pm
@engineer,
"Getting things done" is a dubious proposition, and not necessarily an end unto itself.

Every problem facing this nation can't be easily fixed with a new law.
parados

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2015 05:04 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
When did we have a Democratic speaker that ran a House that didn't want to raise the debt limit? I don't recall one and I would not have called him/her principled for doing so.

Who was the last Democratic Speaker to call a President untrustworthy?

It's fine that you accuse us of this stuff, Finn. But could you provide some actual instances to support your claims?
parados

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2015 05:06 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Every problem facing this nation can't be easily fixed with a new law.

Doing nothing doesn't fix problems in the real world. It usually makes things worse. Simply doing their job and coming to a reasonable compromise where both sides give up an equal amount would go a long way toward fixing our problems.
engineer

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2015 05:35 pm
@parados,
Even if you believe you can't trust the other person, you still work towards a compromise. Trust is overrated. Reagan negotiated with the Soviet Union, but Ryan can't negotiate with the White House.
Setanta

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2015 05:45 pm
Compromise and negotiation are at the heart of effective representative democracy. In the short term, the Republicans play to a lunatic fringe. In the long term, they set up a strong probability that the Democrats will ignore them at any such time as they capture the House.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2015 05:55 pm
@parados,
The mind of the Progressive revealed: Solutions can't exist outside of legislation. Not passing laws means doing nothing.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2015 05:56 pm
@Setanta,
The same can and should be easily said about a president who consistently does end runs around congress and the Constitution.
0 Replies