American seeking dual citizenship in Scotland

GraemeD

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2015 11:47 pm
My father was full Scots as were his parents. I would have to try to get his records somehow, but would I be able to get a dual citizenship or the 5 year temporary stay? I am not sure what that is called? I appreciate any info and if you are like me and have had experience that would be even better.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,303 • Replies: 10
No top replies

saab

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2015 12:52 am
@GraemeD,
No you can never ever get a dual citizenship in Scotland.
It is a shame that a person whose fanter and grandparents were Scots does not even know which country Scotland is connected with.
GraemeD

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2015 12:54 am
@saab,
Wow. Rude. Just looking for answers guess I picked the wrong forum.
GraemeD

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2015 12:56 am
@saab,
And I do know what country it is a part of. Geez. If you don't have anything constructive go away.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2015 12:59 am
@GraemeD,
Please google Scotland and you will see that my answer made sence.
My father and my grandparents come from another country then were I was born and were I am a citizen.
If you want to be part of your ancestors country you should know a lot about it.
Gettinga citizenship is not just like getting a new pair of jeans.
GraemeD

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2015 01:08 am
@saab,
No crap. That is why I am gathering info! You gather info by asking direct questions like I did. Getting crappy non-answers is not sharing information. It is just trolling and flaming. Which is why the internet sucks. I guess I will ask a forum where there are intelligent people that can actually help and don't want t be jerks. New pair of jeans. Geez how original. Oh yeah I really thought it was that easy. How stupid. You don't know me troll.
0 Replies

GraemeD

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2015 01:09 am
@saab,
Go troll somewhere else and let intelligent people help ok? Jerk. Is this what you do all night trying to sound intelligent when your not?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2015 01:16 am
@GraemeD,
This older topic seems applicable - http://able2know.org/topic/56526-1
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2015 01:20 am
@GraemeD,
GraemeD, I am not sure what you mean by "full Scots" regarding your father and grandparents. Did you mean they were British citizens by birth?

Also, crucially, you have not told us which country you are already a citizen of.

Lady Lingiton

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2015 03:16 am
@GraemeD,

British citizenship by descent
"British citizenship by descent" is the category for the children born outside the UK to a British citizen. Rules for acquiring British citizenship by descent depend on when the person was born.

From 1983
A child born outside the UK on or after 1 January 1983 automatically acquires British citizenship by descent if either parent is a British citizen other than by descent at the time of the birth.

Before 1983, as a general rule "Citizenship of the UK and Colonies" (CUKC) was transmitted automatically only for one generation, with registration in infancy possible for subsequent generations. Transmission was from the father only, and only if the parents were married. (See History of British nationality law.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_nationality_law
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2015 05:08 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Quote:
Also, crucially, you have not told us which country you are already a citizen of.

I see it's in the title.
0 Replies