Define "Evidence"

puzzledperson

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2015 10:32 pm
@layman,
Some of your writing reminded me of it, stylistically.

Parks is a sophisticated and lucid writer who nonetheless, ironically or because it is a part of him (or a little of both), sometimes resorts to a certain "streetwise" idiom (sometimes for humorous effect).

Your icon and your northeast references suggest similarities of age and cultural background. Parks also had some rough early experiences and is something of a self-made man. I found the book to be a highly readable portrait of Black urban experience in the northeast United States in the era of the Great Depression, that eschews both the "see no evil" tendencies of some Black conservatives, but also avoids the identity politics of some Black liberals.

I seldom read books of that sort, so it says something for his skills as a writer that I found it worth buying when I wasn't even particularly in the mood for it. (The fact that it was bargain priced helped, but I enjoyed it and am pleased to have it in my personal library.)
layman

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2015 10:44 pm
@puzzledperson,
Quote:
I seldom read books of that sort, so it says something for his skills as a writer that I found it worth buying when I wasn't even particularly in the mood for it. (The fact that it was bargain priced helped, but I enjoyed it and am pleased to have it in my personal library.)

Cool, thanks. If I see it at some thrift store, or layin somewhere that I can easily steal from, I'll get me a copy.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2015 10:54 pm
@puzzledperson,
Quote:
something of a self-made man...era of the Great Depression

Back in the depression era, the legendary hall of fame baseball pitcher, Dizzy Dean, was criticized for using the word "ain't." In response, he said (paraphrasing):

Quote:
I've never met anyone who doesn't know what "ain't" means. I've met a lot of people who refuse to use the word, though, and a lot of them aint eatin."

They's a meelyun waze ta skin a polekat, I figga. Long as they be knowin whacho sayin, feel me?
farmerman

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2015 05:56 am
@layman,
feel good that youre all warm and comfy and not living in a car. Its a sloppy 38 (F) in the rain up here in Wellsboro Pa and I havent even got into the woods yet.

Think Ill have some more scrapple, and load my 40 cal. Whenever Im up here I see bears who want to send texts on my phone.
layman

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2015 06:18 am
@farmerman,
A light touch from the Farmer. Wonderful!
farmerman

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2015 06:39 am
@layman,
want some bear meat?
They found two young bear that were starting to den up for the winter at some of the gas well office trailers and we want to get the trailers gone.
layman

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2015 06:42 am
@farmerman,
I aint never et no bear meat, that I recall, eh, Farmer? Is it as good as possum? You don't have to answer that. Meat is meat! Hell, yeah, I want summa that.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2015 07:03 am
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/12190118_956546407739312_3579519136807920086_n.jpg
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 08:28 am
@neologist,
And Thomas said it right. The problem is not with facts but with our perception upon them.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 14 May, 2016 08:13 am
"Evidence" is the most simple possible explanation that correlates two events. Occam Razor.
0 Replies

AugustineBrother

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2016 09:14 am
@neologist,
Like your post but would add, Man is not just REASON he is at least equally WILL and evidence must appeal to the whole man. When I hear someone arguing about the bible and homosexuality my FIRST thought, like lightning, is Is this person a homosexual? Because for 90% of discussion on this topic, that is ALL that matters. They will not accept let alone entertain what might lead to a moral rule they are not WILLING to accept at the moment.
0 Replies