Is there really such thing as time?

donohue100

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 04:44 am
time has to be real
time has to be real or everything would happen at once or nothing would ever happen.
0 Replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 06:23 pm
Yes JL

I think that it is basically the same thing. It all seems to be related to mass and distance somehow, which in turn relates physically to a "speed of time".

I am unable however to imagine a universe without time. (donohues point)

Satt,
I am inclined to think that that problem of existence of our parts in different time is a matter of scale. Perhaps instead of saying "at this point in time" we should say "at this blob in time" Confused

I am inclined to think (for now) that time actually moves a bit faster than light. This tends to raise hob with a lot of our astronomical observations. Sad

Mosheb, I will hunt up the book "Kromo". So far I have not found anybody who has much of an idea of what "time" really is, although there are several theories around. Confused
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 06:30 pm
akaMechsmith..
Quote:
Perhaps instead of saying "at this point in time" we should say "at this blob in time"

The concept of the instance (of time) must be very fuzzy already.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 06:49 pm
akaMechsmith, I too cannot imagine a world without time (for Kant, space and time are innate human mental categories), but that doesn't tell us anything about the nature of time. Time may be simply one of our innate and necessary illusions.
0 Replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 07:21 pm
Yep Satt,

Perhaps time, like love and charity, works best when not examined too closely Very Happy
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 07:23 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

kaleidosmith

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 08:08 pm
Ch..ch..ch..changes
mosheb wrote:
Its.
A. Time certainly has a serious connection with space and other conceptions of the universe. so asking about one is asking about the other. What I think interesting in this, is that in string theory now thought of, they are using 11 dimensions, three usual space, 7 folded space, and only one of time. that is, the conception is that you can easily multiply the dimensions of space but not of time. I don't know exactly wy, though of course there are probably good mathematical reasons for this distinction.

time is the common denominator across the other dimensions.

Ch..ch..ch..change(s)
0 Replies

mosheb

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 01:28 am
"kromo" isn't a book, its a journal
0 Replies

mosheb

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 01:46 am
I'm not sure that I understood what kalidosmith wrote. But I enjoyed seeing myself quoted
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 05:28 pm
It seems that we are talking about two kinds--or aspects--of time: that which is a correlate of space and that which refers to the fundamental character of everything: change.
0 Replies

Sign Related

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 08:11 pm
As long as things age you might as well put some kind of measurement of time to it.
0 Replies

sweetascandy122

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 10:47 pm
Maybe I don't understand, but I think the word "time" describes a concept which does exist. whether or not the concept has validity depends on your own definition of what time is. Ask yourself exactly what you are questioning. My own opinion is that time is real. Time is what it is therefore it is.
0 Replies