Project: Minkowski space

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2015 09:30 am
Hi! I have to make a project called Minkowski space and i don't know exactly what should include in. It's very complicated what i've founded about Minkowski space on google and it's beyond my means...could you suggest me what should i refer to?? some ideas?? and i want to know if there are practical applications of Minkowski space and also why is it important..
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 561 • Replies: 2

jespah

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2015 10:45 am
@Mary2333,
This is a really terrific question to ask your professor.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2015 10:57 am
@Mary2333,
Not sure if this will help, but at it's most basic level, Minkowski's contribution (one which was actually conceived by Poincaire years earlier), was to abandon the 3 dimensions of space (height, length, and breadth) as a separate concept and to combine it with time in a mathematical way which is now called "space-time" (consisting of "four dimensions").

In my opinion (not shared by many) the only "practical" benefit to anyone was to physicists doing mathematical computations relating to relative motion by simplifying these tasks. As it is applied, the "practical" consequence is to distort and confuse the concepts of space, time, and motion in ways that make them paradoxical and implausible, if you ask me.
0 Replies