Raising One's Hand in Class

gollum

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2015 02:43 pm
I believe teachers ask questions in class to ascertain if the students are learning. Then the students who know the answer raise their hands. Then the teacher calls on one of the students with his/her hand up. Then the called upon students recites the answer giving the teacher the impression that the class learned the subject material.

However, the students with their hands down are less likely to know the answer than those with their hands up. To express it differently, the teacher called on a skewed sample.

Why don't teachers call on students at random in order to obtain a representative sample of student learning?

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2015 03:03 pm
You don't know that the teacher gets that impression. If he/she is any good, he/she will be aware of who is not putting up their hands. Teachers monitor pupil's progress in a number of ways, oral and written.

0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2015 03:03 pm
@gollum,
Because the show of hands is what the teacher wants, not the answer. She is working on an assumption (perhaps flawed) that every student raising a hand is confident enough of their knowledge to risk being called upon.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2015 03:31 pm
@gollum,
They did call on other than the hand wavers in my classes.

You believe all teachers ignore all the other students?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2015 03:31 pm
I don't recall any of my teachers ever strictly calling upon those of us with hands up. In some ways, raising your hand was a defensive move because the teacher was more likely not to call upon you. Back in my day, they liked to keep everyone on their toes and called on you when you were least expecting it, whether your hand was raised or not.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2015 03:47 pm
@Butrflynet,
That's true re my experience too, and I'm an older sort, where a great many kids were in classes taught by one nun. She (many shes over the years) would tend to the handwaver, or two, of choice, or not, those among of wavers, and then cold call (a phrase I didn't know then). How else to get a variety of students engaged?

The trouble to me now re my classes back then (late 40's, 50's in elementary and high school) were that the games I loved by Sister Mel (all baseball, all the time, two teams, many things to spell or add or divide or identify) was that it left quite a few kids feeling dumb, which now we know a bit more about.

I just wanted to beat Ronnie Miller once.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2015 04:00 pm
@engineer,
Maybe that has changed since my elementary years, I've no idea.

Laughing.. the word I lost the "baseball game" re spelling and Ronnie Miller was engineer.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2015 04:08 pm
@gollum,
Do teacher's still teach this way?

When I was in Ed. school we were taught to use more inclusive forms of in-class assessment, for example group work with a class reporter.

When I was teaching, students would raise their hand to ask me a question, or to signal that they had missed something (usually meaning I was going too fast or had forgotten to explain something). I never thought that throwing random questions to the class for individual students to answer was very effective.

When I gave out in-class work, it was generally to be done in small groups so that each student would have the chance to participate in getting the answer.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2015 04:35 pm
@gollum,
Quote:
Why don't teachers call on students at random in order to obtain a representative sample of student learning?

Your assumption seem not at all proven that teachers do no in fact called on students that do not raised their hands.

Next the hands raisers are indeed likely to know the correct answer however there are also a sub-set of students who do not raised their hands due to being shy not due to them not knowing the subject.

I assuming that teachers know their students will enough to get a good idea if the class as a whole is understanding the material.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2015 06:15 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

I don't recall any of my teachers ever strictly calling upon those of us with hands up. In some ways, raising your hand was a defensive move because the teacher was more likely not to call upon you. Back in my day, they liked to keep everyone on their toes and called on you when you were least expecting it, whether your hand was raised or not.

Exactly. Same back in my day too. In addition, I distinctly remember kids who would put there hand up, and when called on, would give an obviously wrong answer. One boy, Jeffrey, was notorious for this.

I heard once that girls will put up their hands if they know the answer, boys will do it whether they know it or not.
chai2

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2015 06:18 pm
@chai2,
I went to Catholic school, where if you a bunch of kids raised their hands, you were all obligated to hiss "ssssstr......sssssssstr" to get the nuns attention.

I imagine when she heard that, she felt the same way I do today when I go to the pool, and there's kids, there, and I hear the first "Marco....."
0 Replies

layman

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2015 06:24 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
She (many shes over the years) would tend to the handwaver, or two, of choice, or not, those among of wavers, and then cold call (a phrase I didn't know then). How else to get a variety of students engaged?

Jo, the conclusion I have reached from watching nuns in action is that their motivation was not to "engage" them, at least not in the subject matter.

I always figured their decision of who to call on was based exclusively on who they wanted to beat next, because that's what you get if you have the wrong answer. Actually, you can have the right answer, and still get beaten, because they will say you're wrong anyway, if they feel like smashing that ruler down on your mitts.

ossobuco

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2015 06:29 pm
@layman,
They still do that? I have a vague memory of seeing it with one nun a few times back in the fifties. And beat would have been an exaggeration of it.
layman

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2015 06:33 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
They still do that?

Ya aint seen the movie "The Blues Brothers?" You should. It ROCKS!
ossobuco

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2015 06:36 pm
@layman,
Never did.
layman

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2015 07:41 pm
@ossobuco,

Well, here ya go then. Them Penguins is rough, I tellya!
ossobuco

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2015 08:30 am
@layman,
Heh..
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2015 10:57 am
@gollum,
I remember my teachers back in the 1970s and 1980s would SOMETIMES ask students to raise their hands to answer the teacher's question. The teacher also would RANDOMLY ask students questions without asking them to raise their hands. That applies to answering questions or going up to the chalk board.
layman

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2015 11:25 am
@Real Music,
I ALWAYS had an answer to every question asked. It was very reliable, and I never had to change it. It was:

"Hell if I know."
chai2

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2015 11:59 am
@layman,
You sound like Jeffrey.

He'd raise his hand, get called on, then sit there saying "um.....uhhhhh"

He just like raising his hand. Being a part of it all.
0 Replies